Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Man Utd

There's a special match at half-time on Saturday, a Dons team versus a Paul Lawrie select (managed by Craig Brown).

Dons’ Euro success tops Fergie’s glory run at United

simpson believes Reds’ cup-winners’ cup win is sir alex’s greatest success

By Paul Third

Published: 10/07/2008

Gothenburg great Neil Simpson is delighted his former manager Sir Alex Ferguson is bringing the European champions Manchester United to Pittodrie on Saturday.

But he insists the achievement of the Dons side in 1983 still betters that of the Red Devils European exploits.

United's presence at Pittodrie on Saturday against Jimmy Calderwood's team to commemorate the Dons' Cup-Winners’ Cup success of 25 years ago will be their first match since beating Chelsea on penalties in May to win the Champions League and Simpson, while delighted for his former manager, believes the success Fergie enjoyed at Pittodrie surpasses that of Old Trafford.

Simpson said: “What my old manager has achieved is incredible. Two Champions League wins and, with a fair bit of luck, some others could have been won, too. He is a quality manager who inspires his players, even if he has mellowed a bit now.

“A few years ago there was talk of him retiring but I just don't see it. He would be such a big loss to the game. I think 70 will be when he calls it a day.

“When you look at his record he is the best manager there has been in the United Kingdom. However, Aber-deen is a provincial club and for us to win a European trophy is better than what United have done.â€

While Ferguson is bringing his club north to honour his former players, Simpson is one of several members of the class of 1983 working behind the scenes with the players of 2008. The role is something he is proud of and he insists great strides are being made in the youth development set-up at the club.

He said: “It's nice to be playing a role now even if it's scary to be working with players who were not even born when I was in Gothenburg. There are a lot of people working hard in the background at the club to get the best players we can.â€

Another former player now on the coaching staff is Jim Leighton. Scotland's most capped goalkeeper will make his first appearance since his horrific broken jaw in his final game for the Dons in the Scottish Cup final of 2000 at half-time on Saturday when he lines up alongside his former team-mates against a Paul Lawrie select.

The Dons team, managed by Willie Miller, Eric Black, Stewart Kennedy and Neale Cooper, consists of Leighton, Brian Mitchell, Brian Irvine, former goalkeeper Bryan Gunn in a defensive role, John McMaster, Simpson, Robert Connor, Ian Angus, John Hewitt and Peter Weir. Fraser Fyvie, 15, will also feature for the Dons following his selection from the youth team by Simpson.

The Lawrie select includes Eoin Jess, Duncan Shearer and Michael Watt, and will be managed by former Scotland manager Craig Brown.

Leighton said: “Since I stopped playing I haven't taken part in any game. I don't take part in any of the games in training as I feel I am stopping somebody else from playing. I don't like losing goals for fun. My enjoyment is in seeing the young goalkeepers coming through now. Saturday will be a one time only, never to be repeated.

“It will be nice to be together for the last time. The enormity of our achievement is shown by the fact a club the size of Manchester United is coming to Pittodrie to help us celebrate.

“When you look at United today and the team I played for, the club has grown beyond all recognition. It will be great for the supporters to see some of the greatest players in the world here against their team.â€

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, if I was going to the match, I would be more interested in seeing this than the match itself.

Obviously United are streets ahead of these guys in pretty much every possible footballing respect, but seeing so many of the '83 squad playing again, not to mention Jess and Shearer reunited... <sighs wistfully>

Makes you realise just how much of a peak the 80s and parts of the 90s really were. You never know what you have until it's gone.

:(

Guest swaddon
The Lawrie select includes Eoin Jess, Duncan Shearer and Michael Watt, and will be managed by former Scotland manager Craig Brown.

Sounds like one of his Scotland squads, players over the age of 30 and past their best.

In all seriousness, it sounds like it'll be an interesting game. Well done to Fraser Fyvie, he may have a ridiculous name, but imagine lining up to play alongside these legendary players? It's like every Dons fan's dream to be playing alongside that lot.

Guest fatshaft

Do we think Paul Lawrie will be expecting to miss the cut at the Scottish Open to see how his team gets on?!

One over after two holes, looks like he's doing his best.  :-\

Some more info about what's happening at half time and full time...

Gothenburg Greats

During Saturday’s half-time interval the Gothenburg Greats will again take to the Pittodrie turf, probably for the last time as a team, to take on a Paul Lawrie Select XI.

The Gothenburg Greats line up will feature Jim Leighton, Brian Mitchell, Brian Irvine, former goalkeeper Bryan Gunn in a defensive role, John McMaster, Neil Simpson, Robert Connor, Ian Angus, John Hewitt and Peter Weir. Youngster Fraser Fyvie, aged just 15, will be handed a dream start in the Gothenburg team after being picked from the AFC Youth Development ranks by Neil Simpson.

The team will be managed by Willie Miller, Eric Black, Stewart Kennedy and Neale Cooper.

Hydrasun, who sponsored the team back in 1983, have again kindly sponsored the Gothenburg Greats kits for Saturday’s match.

We managed to find a couple of “models†to show off the special kit to the media earlier this week.

The Paul Lawrie Select Team will include a few familiar faces with ex AFC players – Eoin Jess, Duncan Shearer and Michael Watt in goal making a return to Pittodrie. The team will be completed by a number of local businessmen who bid to win their place in the starting eleven.

The team will be managed by former Scotland manager Craig Brown.

The 10 minute mini-match will be followed with a speech from Willie Miller.

After the main 90 minute action has concluded, Tom Smith, chairman of the Gothenburg Testimonial Committee, will take to the pitch to present the winning captain with their trophy.

Sir Alex Ferguson will then make a speech before the Gothenburg Greats make a lap of honour around the pitch.

United: Amos, Woods; Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, O'Shea, Silvestre, Simpson; Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Hewson, Martin, Gibson, Eagles; Rooney, Giggs, Campbell

is this the squad they are taking up??

dam it, i wnated to see Tevez in action. brilliant player.

Is the young Scottish lad David Gray still at United?

A couple of guys I know used to play with him when they were kids... he's from Roslin near Penicuik.  I heard he's mean't to be absolutely lightning.

Yeah, he's still there. He's about 19/20 or so yeah?