Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dundee v Aberdeen

Kerr - looks like he'll be a big player for us, likes to pull the strings and always chose the right option

Kerr was probably the player I was watching most last night to see how he would do. He had an ok game, but really reminded me of Barry Ferguson (in a crab way). Everything was sideways or backwards very little went forwards. He also showed his love of passbacks, not the best thing when Langfield is there and in that strong swirling wind. Thankfully he did only one or two to Langfield, however did a few back to Considine and one was pretty stupid and a faster/fitter opposition striker would have intercepted and been straight through as the passback was played out wide.

The only thing I could argue with is you thinking Duff was out best player - he was poor. Kicking balls quite a few balls out for thrown ins under little to no pressure and unable to complete simple short passes.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerr was probably the player I was watching most last night to see how he would do. He had an ok game, but really reminded me of Barry Ferguson (in a crab way). Everything was sideways or backwards very little went forwards.

I have no problem with that.  When he signed, I suggested he'd be "our Barry Ferguson" for the simple reason he did the same job for Utd.  Rarely gives the ball away and that is crucial for our midfield.  Too many football fans don't look far enough into how important a player like Barry Ferguson/Mark Kerr is for a team.

The only thing I could argue with is you thinking Duff was out best player - he was poor. Kicking balls quite a few balls out for thrown ins under little to no pressure and unable to complete simple short passes.

There were plenty of others who agree with me.  It seems only a small clique of JC/Duff haters have got on his back here.  He is a fairly composed type of player.  Yes there were one or two wayward passes but that is to be expected when you've only played 45 minutes of football in 6 weeks.  You make allowances for these things in pre-season friendlies.  On the whole he played well.

I have no problem with that.  When he signed, I suggested he'd be "our Barry Ferguson" for the simple reason he did the same job for Utd.  Rarely gives the ball away and that is crucial for our midfield.  Too many football fans don't look far enough into how important a player like Barry Ferguson/Mark Kerr is for a team.

Agree with this, too many people think the ball has to go forward at every opportunity. I think he'll bring a calming influence to the side, and hopefully his team mates begin to realise that we don't have to hoof it up the park at regular intervals.

There were plenty of others who agree with me.  It seems only a small clique of JC/Duff haters have got on his back here.  He is a fairly composed type of player.  Yes there were one or two wayward passes but that is to be expected when you've only played 45 minutes of football in 6 weeks.  You make allowances for these things in pre-season friendlies.  On the whole he played well.

I dont hate Duff (but possibly JC  :thumbsup:) I just don't think is as good as the players he is replacing. If someone says I think he had a good game, I have to disagree. Yes it is only pre-season but that can excuse players being in wrong positions playing ball to early/ late to runners etc. It doesn't however excuse simple football errors of not being able to pass the ball 10 yards to another player, that is simply bad football.

Yes it is only pre-season but that can excuse players being in wrong positions playing ball to early/ late to runners etc. It doesn't however excuse simple football errors of not being able to pass the ball 10 yards to another player, that is simply bad football.

To put it bluntly, that is simplistic rubbish.

Teams like AFC usually gradually build up their opponents from weak to strong over the course of the pre-season to reflect the progress they're making with training.  This year they've done it the wrong way round and JC admitted as such after the Man Utd game.  Fitness-wise Aberdeen and Dundee will be on a par as they are two full-time football clubs.  Therefore the game will be played at an unusually high-tempo for such a game at this stage of the season and players will make mistakes when put under pressure because they are not 80% fit.  For football-minded people that is quite straight-forward.  If you want to see excitement, you don't go to pre-season friendlies.

I dont hate Duff (but possibly JC  :thumbsup:) I just don't think is as good as the players he is replacing. If someone says I think he had a good game, I have to disagree. Yes it is only pre-season but that can excuse players being in wrong positions playing ball to early/ late to runners etc. It doesn't however excuse simple football errors of not being able to pass the ball 10 yards to another player, that is simply bad football.

Early ball to a runner?

Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

???

Maybe I am alone here but I quite enjoyed last night.  Ok the football wasn't great and there were very few attempts on goal but it was good to be back watching football in he flesh, rather the glitzy glamour of what they call the European Championships.  For a pre-season friendly the crowd seemed to be in good voice and there was a reasonable amount of banter. (on a side note it was good to see a good number of kids there, having a good time, certainly the ones behind us were almost wetting themselves every time their keeper was greeted with the "oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-you shite bastard-aghhhh" chant.

As for the team, pretty much agree with what PC says.

Duff played well, but isn't a winger and the young lad at left back probably could have done with a proper winger to combine with down that side as he looked failry lively and interested in getting forward.

Kerr looked failry impressive and composed and Maguire caused their defence some problems.

Other than that most were either less than ethusiastic, clearly lacking match practice or content on just seeing the game through.

Main concerns were that we really should have had some more shots on goal, it's a friendly FFS just have a pop, and it looks like we still need somebody to come in and freshen up our attacking play (either a winger or striker...or both)

Finally who was the lad in the red shorts who was warming up at half time but never got a game?

To put it bluntly, that is simplistic rubbish.

Teams like AFC usually gradually build up their opponents from weak to strong over the course of the pre-season to reflect the progress they're making with training.  This year they've done it the wrong way round and JC admitted as such after the Man Utd game.  Fitness-wise Aberdeen and Dundee will be on a par as they are two full-time football clubs.  Therefore the game will be played at an unusually high-tempo for such a game at this stage of the season and players will make mistakes when put under pressure because they are not 80% fit.  For football-minded people that is quite straight-forward.  If you want to see excitement, you don't go to pre-season friendlies.

High tempo? Were you watching the same game? I dont know why your going off on this tangent of the team not being fit and me not understanding football. You said Duff was the best man on the park, I disagreed because he couldn't put simple passes together.

Early ball to a runner?

Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

???

What I meant was way too early/too far infront

High tempo? Were you watching the same game?

an unusually high-tempo for such a game at this stage of the season

It's not a tangent, it's an explanation of why players are not as sharp as you would like them to be.  It doesn't seem that you understand the pace at which these players play at.  I'm merely saying I was surprised by the urgency of some of the Dundee players at this early stage of the season, that our players would not be used to playing at that kind of pace so early in the preparations, therefore players are prone to what looks like sloppy mistakes.

In any case, I did not see these so-called numerous sloppy mistakes from Duff, because you seem to be in a minority of people who thought he was rubbish, I'm inclined to think you're making him a target because you don't think he's good enough for AFC, just as you do with JC at the slightest sniff of blood.

It was awful, honestly i almost fell asleep, Maguire is worse than Mackie yet he has just siogned a new 3 year deal. ::)???

My only highlight was being able to witness Langfields kicking, if someone had told me what he done i wouldna have believed them but i seen it for myself.

Btw was sat infront of jager, you parttime supporter. :wave:

It's not a tangent, it's an explanation of why players are not as sharp as you would like them to be.  It doesn't seem that you understand the pace at which these players play at.  I'm merely saying I was surprised by the urgency of some of the Dundee players at this early stage of the season, that our players would not be used to playing at that kind of pace so early in the preparations, therefore players are prone to what looks like sloppy mistakes.

In any case, I did not see these so-called numerous sloppy mistakes from Duff, because you seem to be in a minority of people who thought he was rubbish, I'm inclined to think you're making him a target because you don't think he's good enough for AFC, just as you do with JC at the slightest sniff of blood.

I thought another player who was not good enough for us had an ok game, namely Mair.

Anyway, time for some vids.

The bad: One of Youngs crosses

The Good: Best bit of football in the game and the pen claim

Would have been a soft pen.

Didn't see the game and I'm pretty glad. Pre-season friendlies are really poor fair unless you make a good out of it.

Really dunno what you are expecting to see in the second game of pre-season mizer.

Other than an excuse to act the cunt.

I didnt expect anything, I'm just arguing that Duff was not man of the match!

Some more vids:

Missed opportunity

And a successful long throw  ::)

Indeed, but this game it was more and argument of who was the worst man of the match.

This single statement proves the point.

Pre-season friendlies are about finding the positives in amongst a group of half-fit players.  There were plenty of them there, depending upon if you want to find them.

I don't understand the negativity, we haven't lost anything.

see the diet isnae working then?  ;)

Did anyone else see Mackie's Boots?!?!?

OMFG ROFLOLLLOLLLOOOLLLLOLOL!!!!!1111!!!!!!!111!!!!

I was going to talk to you but i don;t like being seen with ginger midgets. :wave:  ALso his boots are classy but actually shit, i wonder if he has a liverpool badge on them?

GS, the young lad was Paton i think.

I was going to talk to you but i don;t like being seen with ginger midgets. :wave:  ALso his boots are classy but actually shit, i wonder if he has a liverpool badge on them?

GS, the young lad was Paton i think.

ok

would make sense

someone said Paton and Stewart were away playing an U19s game but as Stewart was there I guess it makes sense Paton was too

was it fear or respect that stopped you speaking to me?

at least the midget rumour can now be put to rest!  ::)

Aye you are a tall midget like ;)  You been in the sun or something?  it looked as if your face had been attacked with an orange pen.

It wasna fear or respect that stopped me, it was the 5 steps to your row.