Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

How else do you interpret his consistent "I'm leaving Aberdeen" attitude? I would have said if it was a factual statement.

What is that suppsoed to mean? Even when he knew his mind was made up but had been told to keep it quiet (interview on redtv confirmed this) he still gave us 100%.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is that suppsoed to mean? Even when he knew his mind was made up but had been told to keep it quiet (interview on redtv confirmed this) he still gave us 100%.

Work it out. His 100% isn't good enough for anything other than a mediocre run of the mill, mid table, never win anything, football team.

Work it out. His 100% isn't good enough for anything other than a mediocre run of the mill, mid table, never win anything, football team.

What about players like Anderson, Heikkenen, Windass. Would you have players of that mould back to do exactly the same?

Play for a mediocre run of the mill side that won't win everything?

I would never describe those three players as mediocre, although Markus was a touch lightweight to be the real deal.

You may think AFC's destiny is to be nothing more than mediocre. Under the present leadership, you are probably right. That is tragic.

However, the thread last week about winner mentality and ambition comes to mind, the one with the Roy Keane example.

I said Barry wasn't good enough to play for a team that could win "anything", not "everything". There is a difference.

I don't rate him as highly as others do, although I acknowledge that he's been the best of a bad midfield bunch since Seve went tits up.

I would never describe those three players as mediocre, although Markus was a touch lightweight to be the real deal.

You may think AFC's destiny is to be nothing more than mediocre. Under the present leadership, you are probably right. That is tragic.

However, the thread last week about winner mentality and ambition comes to mind, the one with the Roy Keane example.

I said Barry wasn't good enough to play for a team that could win "anything", not "everything". There is a difference.

I don't rate him as highly as others do, although I acknowledge that he's been the best of a bad midfield bunch since Seve went tits up.

But could you say your opinion is more to the fact Seve has been tragic and Barry has shined in his absence, or maybe that Barry has knuckled down and made sure hes a regular on merit rather than favouritism?

If your opinion is not number two then it's better we agree to disagree and we'll have just be going round and round the roundabout but in opposite lanes.

But could you say your opinion is more to the fact Seve has been tragic and Barry has shined in his absence, or maybe that Barry has knuckled down and made sure hes a regular on merit rather than favouritism?

If your opinion is not number two then it's better we agree to disagree and we'll have just be going round and round the roundabout but in opposite lanes.

I wasn't aware that we were disagreeing on anything. I was aware that you were asking questions.

I think neither. I have never seen BN play two consecutive games and come away thinking how good he was. He has the odd great touch or pass and scored the odd goal that wasn't a penalty, but never influences the game enough for me. I'm not blaming him for this, he's been the best midfielder in a bad bunch.

Seve since 2006 has gone south for reasons unexplained, or his manager has been unable to lift him, but I've not seen any substantial improvement in Nicholson in this time.

He's just an average player. If he ever got selected to start a Scotland match, I would eat my words, but I'm pretty sure he is what he is.

I don't think there is any doubt that Nicholson has been the best of a "bad bunch" as the midfield has been honking this season. I think that does do Nicholson a bit of a disservice as he is a good player and has played consistently well for at least the last 2 seasons. R_S makes a very good point about him "influencing" games , he isn't going to do that for us, not in terms of dominating a midfield at any rate.

He is a good player, we should be pleased if he stays.

Unfortunately I wouldn't read too much into that just yet.  With the Aberdeen housing market slowing down, fewer mortgages being available with lower multipliers and % of price being reduced to, on average 90%, the rental market is picking up. Could be he is just keeping it as an investment until the sales market picks up again.  Hope I'm wrong though!!

There's a fair chance he'll be at Todders next season by the looks of things - His house that was up for sale, is now off the market and has not been sold.  :thumbsup:

Didn't Calderwood rubbish reports that Barry might be staying yesterday?  Where did you get the info about his house not selling? 

Unfortunately I wouldn't read too much into that just yet.  With the Aberdeen housing market slowing down, fewer mortgages being available with lower multipliers and % of price being reduced to, on average 90%, the rental market is picking up. Could be he is just keeping it as an investment until the sales market picks up again.  Hope I'm wrong though!!

Enough of your negativity! >:(

Didn't Calderwood rubbish reports that Barry might be staying yesterday?  Where did you get the info about his house not selling? 

I'm not willing to say who told me about his house being taken off the market but it's from a reliable source - you'll just have to trust me!

Of course - like others have said, it doesn't mean he's definitely staying but, certainly adds spice to the curry.

Does anyone know if any club has actually come in and offered him anything?

Nicholson could return to Aberdeen

But England beckons first

By Andrew Moir

Published: 05/06/2008

BARRY Nicholson today refused to rule out a return to Pittodrie but only after a spell in England.

The 29-year-old midfielder is heading south this summer despite reports claiming he was ready to perform a dramatic U-turn.

But with Norwich City now out of the running and Preston North End cooling their interest, his future remains unclear.

Nicholson would welcome a move back to Aberdeen if life doesn’t prove to be sweeter in the Championship.

“I would never rule out coming back to Aberdeen at some stage in my career,†he said.

“I don’t want to burn my bridges with the club and if there was a chance to come back if things weren’t working out for me then I’d be keen.â€

Nicholson, who has also served Rangers and Dunfermline spoke to three of his former Pittodrie colleagues before deciding to quit the Dons for England.

The Dumfries-born star hopes a move south will breathe new life into his international career and help him to add to his three Scotland caps.

Nottingham Forest and Leeds United are among the other clubs reportedly keen on Nicholson.

He added: “There’s huge potential in terms of what you can achieve down in England.

“Kevin McNaughton and Gavin Rae were both fortunate enough to reach the FA Cup final with Cardiff City.

“I’ve also spoken to Chris Clark, Michael Hart and Russell Anderson to canvas their opinions on what it’s like to play down in England. They are enjoying it even though they haven’t played as much as they would have liked.

“But it’s a fresh challenge and one I’m looking forward to.

“I have played for my country before and I want to represent Scotland again.

“I’m still young enough to do that and if I do well elsewhere then that might help me to achieve that.â€

Nicholson admits it was tough for him to sever his ties with his mentor Jimmy Calderwood but reckons another managerial approach may help him flourish further.

“I have worked with Jimmy for a long time and it will be strange not seeing him regularly.

“He’s been a huge influence on my career and I’ve been with him for seven of the last eight years.

“There was a year when he first took over at Aberdeen and I was still at Dunfermline when we were apart.

“But I owe him a huge debt as he took a real chance on me when I was playing reserve team football at Rangers.

“I’ve almost been an ever-present for him but this is a new beginning.â€

And he's got the cheek to try to keep the door wedged open for him at Pittodrie "just in case". Cheeky bastard. But, aye, good luck...  ::)

How about he signs a contract and we loan him to some cunt for 3 months so he finds out first hand and can still come back.

He'll most likely sign for some mob, no get a starting berth or a niggling injury limiting his 1st team opporchancities, his breadknife will get pished off wi the neighbourhood (family not settled), the weans will get pelters at school, and he'll come back to us on loan with a view to a permanent signing anyway.

“I have played for my country before and I want to represent Scotland again.

“I’m still young enough to do that and if I do well elsewhere then that might help me to achieve that.â€

Recognition that the Scotland Manager never shows any interest in Aberdeen players?

• 3 weeks later...