Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people gravitate towards humour. Some are inhabited by it continually. Some are genius creators of humour.

Others are the antithesis. Watching Miller laugh is painful. Hearing him deliver a "funny" story e.g. Glory of Gothenburg dinner 5 years ago, more so.

What is your problem with Miller?  you have a big chip on yer shoulder min and it's time you got rid of it.

All he is saying is that Miller comes across dour. Cannae argue with that.

I actually have much, much more to say about the character of the man, and why he is no use for us in his present role, but HIGNFY is coming on. He was our best ever player in my opinion, but in his present role, it will inevitably end in tears IN MY OPINION. Time will tell.

I actually have much, much more to say about the character of the man, and why he is no use for us in his present role, but HIGNFY is coming on. He was our best ever player in my opinion, but in his present role, it will inevitably end in tears IN MY OPINION. Time will tell.

I spoke to a fromrt player who played with him under his captaincy and management and he said that Miller, whilst respected as a great player, was not fondly thought of in the dressing room or for his management skills.

I spoke to a fromrt player who played with him under his captaincy and management and he said that Miller, whilst respected as a great player, was not fondly thought of in the dressing room or for his management skills.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. As we know, arguably our best player ever, but sometimes I think, to put it bluntly, he comes across as a knob. I'm not quite sure what he does (although I assume he's doing negotiations with players etc) but i'm not sure he is worth his extorsionate wage.

I don't get all the Miller bashing to be honest.  He's responsible for bringing in JC who has given us our most successful peroid in the last decade.  That in itself speaks volumes to me.

He's also a known face or figurehead who fronts the club, I'm sure nobody down Old Trafford moans about Charlton doing the same.  Sure beats Wiggy coming out with........... well............ nothing.

In the past few years there appears to be more going on than previously and we seem to be getting some sort of structure regarding the youth set up with us now tapping into the central belt area.

I'm sure he can also tempt young players into the ranks having been a product of the AFC youth development himself.

Whether you like him or not personally shouldn't matter, I'm pretty sure he's got the club at heart and I'm willing to say he's been the prime reason we're no longer seen as a joke club.

Not sure what he does aither but the playing side of the bsuiness has been in far better shape since he took up his role and appointed JC.

So you're not sure what he does yet you reckon the playing side has been in far better shape? Could it have been any worse for a club of our size, under Pele and Ebbe and Alec Miller, all managers appointed by the current chairman? What makes you think Miller has deserved any credit? And credit for what? For rising from jokedom to indisputably no better than mediocre? And you reckon JC is going to prove to be good for AFC? Thats been FOUR years now. Have you not been watching? These results satisfy you? I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe that many Aberdeen fans, particularly in the real not virtual world, share your view.

1) I don't get all the Miller bashing to be honest.  He's responsible for bringing in JC who has given us our most successful peroid in the last decade.  That in itself speaks volumes to me.

2) He's also a known face or figurehead who fronts the club, I'm sure nobody down Old Trafford moans about Charlton doing the same.  Sure beats Wiggy coming out with........... well............ nothing.

3) In the past few years there appears to be more going on than previously and we seem to be getting some sort of structure regarding the youth set up with us now tapping into the central belt area.

4) I'm sure he can also tempt young players into the ranks having been a product of the AFC youth development himself.

5) Whether you like him or not personally shouldn't matter, I'm pretty sure he's got the club at heart and I'm willing to say he's been the prime reason we're no longer seen as a joke club.

1) If you don't get it, try and understand first. JC our most successful manager in a decade? What success is this then? I must have missed it. And even if your trying to say that despite him having zero success, he's better than the previous three nuggets, is that a reasonable benchmark? Is this the limit of your outlook?

2) Comparing Miller to Charlton is quite frankly bizarre. One is a genuinely respected man, the other is a genuinely proven failure, as a football manager, and as a business manager. Anyone who lives, or have lived, in Aberdeen, who has drank in the Parkway, who has come across him socially or in business, who has worked for him or who has had relatives or friends who have worked for him, who have heard him speak/sneer at the AGM's, who have heard him speak at dinners, will have a view of the man. I can bet that the majority of these views are not favourable.

3) More going on in the central belt? Are you forgetting the foundations on which the former success of this club was built? Where is the evidence of improvement?

4) Again, name one player, in the whole time he's been Director of Football, that he has attracted to the club? Include his failed managerial time if you like.

5) Personal opinions about the man are irrelevant. Obviously. Only the results count in this game. You must think the results are acceptable. The Aberdeen fans I know don't share your view. He may well have the best interests of AFC plc to heart, rather than his own interests primarily. You seek to give him credit for AFC not being a "joke club" any more. What has Miller done, specifically, to merit credit?

What is your problem with Miller?  you have a big chip on yer shoulder min and it's time you got rid of it.

You say it's time I got rid of a "chip on my shoulder" yet you don't understand what objection some of us Aberdeen fans have with Miller? How can you give me, or anyone, direction without understanding the issue? Do you know why he was appointed? Have you been in the company of the man? Have you heard him speak at AGM's? Are you aware of his track record post playing? Do you know anyone who has worked with, or for, him? What has he done to improve the club, ever?

To take a view without understanding the point, without having any knowledge on a subject, without having the inquiring mind to find out, without having the humility and decency to even try and establish the debate, is feeble-mindedness in the most extreme.

You three are not representative of the Dons fans I meet in the BAGC or Pittodrie bar or at my local or in the stands or indeed anyone I come across here in the NE, nor are your views ever expressed in the reader's letters or editorials in the P & J, the local paper of the NE in case you didn't know. You three exist only on the internet. You are figments of your own imaginations.

I know that a a former full back of ours really did not get on well with Miller and pretty much says the same. Utmost respect between the two for their playing abilities but that's where it ended. Shouldn't be a surprise really, i'm sure we've all got colleagues we dislike.

Anyone who lives, or have lived, in Aberdeen, who has drank in the Parkway, who has come across him socially or in business, who has worked for him or who has had relatives or friends who have worked for him, who have heard him speak/sneer at the AGM's, who have heard him speak at dinners, will have a view of the man. I can bet that the majority of these views are not favourable.

That's a fair leap of faith there to speak on behalf of the majority of people who have come across the man.

4) Again, name one player, in the whole time he's been Director of Football, that he has attracted to the club? Include his failed managerial time if you like.

Duncan Shearer? Lee Richardson?

5) Personal opinions about the man are irrelevant. Obviously. Only the results count in this game. You must think the results are acceptable. The Aberdeen fans I know don't share your view. He may well have the best interests of AFC plc to heart, rather than his own interests primarily. You seek to give him credit for AFC not being a "joke club" any more. What has Miller done, specifically, to merit credit?

What has he done specifically, to receive criticism?

You say personal opinions about him are irrelevant, so why are you bringing yours into it?

The fact is, none of us know for certain just how much he actually does. The ship has been steadied, none of us know how much of that is down to him. Speculate about it all you want but that doesn't change that the fact that you can never say for certain. And while you have such a personal view of the man - which, by the way, should not come into it when it's about his professional performance - you're only ever going to come up with one answer, aren't you?

As regards a leap of faith, I don't know anyone who actually likes him, as a person. Everyone I know that knows him or has come across him has a remarkably consistent and negative view of the man, as I do. He owned a pub in the Brig OD for years, and often drank in there, leaving his then wife to serve him and his big ego. He was reviled by the locals. This is not opinion, surely? This is well known.

I agree that his track record, and current performance, is all that matters, not his personality. I don't see anything, on or off the pitch, to suggest that this is anywhere near good. Given his track record since he quit playing almost 20 years ago, and the reasons for his appointment, I think he has much to prove and given the results, has still failed to demonstrate his value, or justify his salary. There have been many contractual issues wiith players and management team, issues over which he has direct authority, which suggest that he is still failing.

It was always a risky appointment given his track record and his personality. I just don't understand how people can be fully supportive of him and his role without knowing or considering anything of his personal history, and particularly in the face of these results year in, year out. His appointment was for one reason and one reason only.

He can't possibly have direct authority when he doesn't set the budgets.

The DoF has the responsibility of negotiating contractual issues. He is the representative and decision-maker of AFC in player and management negotiations. Whatever constraints he has from the board, budgetary or otherwise, is no different from every other business organisation.

The DoF has the responsibility of negotiating contractual issues. He is the representative and decision-maker of AFC in player and management negotiations. Whatever constraints he has from the board, budgetary or otherwise, is no different from every other business organisation.

But his hands are tied to an extent. He can't offer a player a three year contract if the finances only allow for a two year deal.

Either way, until you spend considerable time shadowing Willie Miller in his day to day work, you'll never be able to say for certain whether he is succeeding or failing. The real villian is Stewart Milne, not Willie Miller. If the story I heard at the weekend is true (the owner of one of our sponsors supposedly offered to give the club £250k to spend on a player if Milne matched that figure to also be spent on player/s, he declined), I think our efforts should be concentrated on showing Milne just how dis-satisfied we are with him.

1) If you don't get it, try and understand first. JC our most successful manager in a decade? What success is this then? I must have missed it. And even if your trying to say that despite him having zero success, he's better than the previous three nuggets, is that a reasonable benchmark? Is this the limit of your outlook?

Since my outlook seems to be limited to a little thing I like to call 'the facts' - http://www.thedandies.co.uk/messageboard/index.php?topic=4506.0 - please feel free to enlighten me as to who could bring us more success in your mystical dream-like world which exists only in mere speculatory terms.

Sure we haven't picked up any silverware yet but success for a club like ours can also be gauged by the financial rewards.  Of which there has been many this season.

2) Comparing Miller to Charlton is quite frankly bizarre. One is a genuinely respected man, the other is a genuinely proven failure, as a football manager, and as a business manager. Anyone who lives, or have lived, in Aberdeen, who has drank in the Parkway, who has come across him socially or in business, who has worked for him or who has had relatives or friends who have worked for him, who have heard him speak/sneer at the AGM's, who have heard him speak at dinners, will have a view of the man. I can bet that the majority of these views are not favourable.

Strange you should then write:

5) Personal opinions about the man are irrelevant. Obviously.

3) More going on in the central belt? Are you forgetting the foundations on which the former success of this club was built? Where is the evidence of improvement?

Improvement in the fact we're tapping into that market now and have an ex-Gothenburg hero doing the scouting for us.  Whereas before, them along with our local talent was being hunted by the O.F.  It's obviously not going to be an overnight success unless you know how to turn 14 year olds into 18 year olds overnight?

Name one player that hasn't come because of Miller's influence or one that didn't like what he had to say.  From the interviews on RedTV that I've seen, there's been plenty evidence he's been instrumental in getting players in the door.

I haven't said he merits huge amounts of credit, I just don't think he deserves so much stick.

You three are not representative of the Dons fans I meet in the BAGC or Pittodrie bar or at my local or in the stands or indeed anyone I come across here in the NE, nor are your views ever expressed in the reader's letters or editorials in the P & J, the local paper of the NE in case you didn't know. You three exist only on the internet. You are figments of your own imaginations.

Give your arse a biscuit you self-obsessed cunt.  ::)

So it's not your opinion it's the opinion of others.

Wouldn't it be better to form your own opinion rather than to just accept the opinion of others.

Personally I wouldn't like to say either way as I have never had the opportunity to form an opinion on Willie Miller's personality. Other than what I have seen on tv or heard on the radio. Unfortunately I don't think this is enough to go by.

Also negating opinions on here simply because they don't agree with what you have read or heard elsewhere doesn't make your point any more or less valid. It just makes it different.

No, it is clearly and most definitely my opinion, and it is also supported by others. Unlike you, I have had the opportunity, on a number of occasions, to form an opinion.

But rewind here. I said something, and despite the provocative reply, let it go. Then those two launched in with support of the man without offering any reasons why he should be immune from criticism, as if the results were acceptable and Miller had somehow shed his spots and become competent in business.

I suspect that ST hasn't got a fucking clue about Willie Miller the man. I suspect his own self obsession has been pricked, thus the insult. I think he's also pissed off because how dare anybody suggest his view was out of touch with Aberdeen fans - the people of the NE, the views expressed in the paper by both readers and editorial. I suspect he doesn't even read the P & J. I think he fucking hates it when he is not allowed to get away with talking shite. Fucking prick.

No, it is clearly and most definitely my opinion, and it is also supported by others. Unlike you, I have had the opportunity, on a number of occasions, to form an opinion.

But rewind here. I said something, and despite the provocative reply, let it go. Then those two launched in with support of the man without offering any reasons why he should be immune from criticism, as if the results were acceptable and Miller had somehow shed his spots and become competent in business.

Where did either of us say that he should be immune from criticism? You're making things up.

I suspect that ST hasn't got a fucking clue about Willie Miller the man. I suspect his own self obsession has been pricked, thus the insult. I think he's also pissed off because how dare anybody suggest his view was out of touch with Aberdeen fans - the people of the NE, the views expressed in the paper by both readers and editorial. I suspect he doesn't even read the P & J. I think he fucking hates it when he is not allowed to get away with talking shite. Fucking prick.

Once again someone doesn't agree with you and you resort to personal insults.

It's becoming very tired now. Give it up.

I gave reasons why Miller has much to prove. The reasons for his appointment, his past track record, and his personality were all commented on. As regards the latter, my exact words were "I bet that the majority...", and then gave reasons to support, reasons that may have been enlightening for you people that don't live in Aberdeen, or who may never have. It's pretty obvious a couple of you don't have a fucking clue about Miller, but you will argue for him anyway, digging deeper and deeper, despite stating you don't understand.

Show me the evidence that Miller is good for the club. All I said originally is that "it will end in tears in my opinion".

We not allowed an opinion? Or should we fucking kowtow to what one or two up themselves pricks tell us, people that know fuck all about AFC. If they did, they would offer evidence, or even points of debate even, rather than protecting their own sense of internet selfs. Fake people.

I'm not sure this accusation of Miller being a failed businessman is entirely accurate.  He used to run quite a few bars in Aberdeen and I'm sure he sold most on for profit?  Obviously Harry Ramsdens was a disaster.  But when the chips are down...

I've met him in Soul a couple of times, and he's always been very friendly and pleasant and comes across extremely well.

I'm not sure what he's done to get so much criticism from some people.

He's Milne's stooge, and I personally don't think he's got anything other than the club's best interests at heart.

Where did either of us say that he should be immune from criticism? You're making things up.

Once again someone doesn't agree with you and you resort to personal insults.

It's becoming very tired now. Give it up.

"Either of us"? You weren't part of the debate that sparked the responses. I'm sorry, did you say something? Did you make a point, any point?

Yes it is. I will take your advice.

the people of the NE, the views expressed in the paper by both readers and editorial

I personally enjoyed the letter about somebody claiming there was trouble in Munich.  ::)

Fucking prick.

This is exactly the level of intellectual debate I joined Donstalk for  ::)