Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Ok, it should be noted, this piece was written directly in response to someone (an Aberdeen fan, coincedentally) who wanted the OF out of our league:

If you were to ask my father, the problem with people these days is that they look for the easy way out. They give up on things before they've started, they lack belief in themselves and they lack spirit. These words come to mind when I see Scottish Football fans wishing to banish the Old Firm to the history books.

For sins committed in previous lives, I too support Aberdeen. Being barely old enough to remember Willie Miller hold aloft the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1983, my favourite memories of Aberdeen are seeing Paul Mason fire the Dons in front against Rangers at Hampden to lift the league cup and of being wracked with tension seconds before Theo Snelders saved Anton Rogan's penalty kick at the same stadium. My mind flickers through scenes of Hans Gillhaus ripping through the Celtic defence to put us three up at Celtic Park, of Brian Grant chipping Andy Goram to seal a two nil victory at Ibrox and more recently of Russell Anderson diving through flying boots to head us in front of Rangers at Pittodrie. Every one of them is a special moment and every one of them stands out for the simple reason it is against the Old Firm.

It is of course safe to say that there has never been an Aberdeen goal scored that I haven't enjoyed, but the prospect of beating the Old Firm pumps the adrenalin through the body like no other victory. The amount of satisfaction derived from it is enormous. Those occasions are less frequent than the halcyon days of the 80's and early 90's, but they do still happen (Rangers have only won once at Pittodrie in the last 8 meetings). What would our league and our own specific teams become if these occasions were to be taken away?

No matter what the romanticists would have you believe, the SPL without the Old Firm would not generate the revenue it does at present. Television deals would dwindle and advertising revenue would be miniscule in comparison. This would make it harder to attract players from other leagues and it then becomes harder for our teams to compete to an acceptable standard in European competition. Average attendances throughout the league would fall, adding to the financial woes. The product on the park at the moment is of a poor standard and that would get worse with the loss of revenue.

In every league in the world, there are big fishes. Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV have ruled the roost in Holland so much that only one other team has won the league since 1965. A similar story unravels every season in Spain, England, Italy and Germany. Although there may be more winners they are playing in bigger leagues and the numbers of big fishes rise comparatively.

Unfortunately, it's the nature of the game. With the amount of money in the game these days, the gap between the big fish and the tiddlers may well get bigger. However, our very own psyche does us down more often than not. We have lost the league before the season starts because we tell ourselves that. I am not for one second saying Aberdeen, Motherwell or Hibs would win the SPL, but they have to aim to win it. If you aim for third, third will be the best you ever get. Aim for the top and you push yourself to the limit.

Hearts finished second two seasons ago, it can be done. It won't be done if we tell ourselves it can't be done. Perhaps the gulf in class seems worse for Aberdeen fans, and to an extent Dundee United fans because they had success in living memory. But that success should be used as a catalyst, for teams to play with belief and spirit and for it to seep into the stands. Don't give up; league victory will be all the sweeter when we're looking down on Rangers and Celtic.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to ask my father, the problem with people these days is that they look for the easy way out. They give up on things before they've started, they lack belief in themselves and they lack spirit. These words come to mind when I see Scottish Football fans wishing to banish the Old Firm to the history books.

However, our very own psyche does us down more often than not. We have lost the league before the season starts because we tell ourselves that. I am not for one second saying Aberdeen, Motherwell or Hibs would win the SPL, but they have to aim to win it. If you aim for third, third will be the best you ever get. Aim for the top and you push yourself to the limit.

Hearts finished second two seasons ago, it can be done. It won't be done if we tell ourselves it can't be done. Perhaps the gulf in class seems worse for Aberdeen fans, and to an extent Dundee United fans because they had success in living memory. But that success should be used as a catalyst, for teams to play with belief and spirit and for it to seep into the stands. Don't give up; league victory will be all the sweeter when we're looking down on Rangers and Celtic.

These bits are the key for me.

Winner mentality is free. It is everything. Losers do not have it. There are more losers than winners.

For those who come on here, posters who have not contributed hardly ever to the many debates on here over the last few weeks, and complain about relentless negativity and repetitiveness, I'm sorry, but you're confusing DT with others. Maybe the thread title JMG might have been a clue that opinion might be polarised, but rather than moan about it and contribute nothing at all, go back to where you do most of your posting, where your own negativity will make you feel more at home.

The one thing i should add that I had wanted to put into the article but had ran out of space was this:

In the book "Red Mist: Roy Keane and the Football Civil War" (i'd urge any football fan to read this, by the way), the author says that in the  entire Republic of Ireland, only two people expect Eire to win the World Cup of 2002. One is his ten year old son. The other? Roy Keane.  The Irish captain has simple logic. At what point, at which game, is he supposed to lead his team out and tell them "THIS IS THE ONE WE'RE GOING TO LOSE, LADS". " (obviously before Keano fucked off back home).  And it's that simple. The almost moronic "one game at a time" mantra has a place here, because let's face it, Calderwood never tells the boys this is the one we're going to lose. And we can beat every team in our league, something Motherwell's Mark McGhee alluded to this year when he took the step of telling the Scottish Press his side were out the running of the championship in February.  The press never knew they were in it. But McGhee was right.

but that's only "successful" to a select few, that's my point, and you seem to be missing it by miles.

Aberdeen did well to get through the group, but that's all. I can not, and will not, get excited about a series of draws mixed with a couple of pumpings. The win against Copenhagen was great, but the rest still remains.

I may be making myself look like I think there isn't a problem here but do you really think we were capable of remaining unbeaten against all the 4 teams that came to Pittodrie?

I think it was a pretty damn good series of results against pretty decent teams. Aside from the Dnipro away game, the away ties were tough lessons for an inexperienced and small squad and probably lessons for Calderwood himself.

You can have all the ambition and winning mentality in the world, without the necessary to pay for the talented individuals with the necessary bollocks it is going to be a tough time. We've all known players and managers with the "mentality" but sadly lacking in the talent department, people who have both tend to go on to bigger and better things sooner or later.

Despite the obvious reasons for Milne appointing Miller, I hoped he would add that bit of steel to the board and some belief to the team but that doesn't seem to be paying off certainly as far as the board are concerned. There seems to be this "acceptance" that pervades Pittodrie that whilst R_S and others assume it's a condition with the fans too, I can't believe that there are many reds who genuinely don't share high flung ambitions for their team, I fear the same cannot be said for the board, their inaction over the last couple of seasons being a perfect example. Zero back bone.

I may be making myself look like I think there isn't a problem here but do you really think we were capable of remaining unbeaten against all the 4 teams that came to Pittodrie?

I think it was a pretty damn good series of results against pretty decent teams. Aside from the Dnipro away game, the away ties were tough lessons for an inexperienced and small squad and probably lessons for Calderwood himself.

We were unbeaten against them, at Pittodrie.

Well fair enough, that's your opinion, but I'll say it again that I think overall we did ok. The team should be applauded for a few cracking performances, and I don't want to take that away from them whatsoever. However, people are creaming themselves (not necessarily yourself, TF) over the Euro run and wanted DVD's of it and such like... that to me is wrong.

+1

I remember fuck all about the Madrid and Bayern away games.  :wino:

Was sober for Madrid but fuck me, was I in bad nick for the Bayern game.

Made a bit of a img_4.jpg

of masel in fact!

But yeah, Bobby, take your point.

But back OT, without serious investment (and lets face it, that isn't going to happen unless one of the "REAL FANS" gets the 6 balls) 3rd is most likely the aim for any season. Hearts are "investing" a fortune in their playing staff and they split the OF but look how much it cost them! Aside from one of the OF having a mare (like PollyGwen when investment could have got us second) without saying it should be the end of our aspirations, it should be the target.

I'm  beginning to think that having Calderwood is a solution to the problem. No investors will come in and put money into Aberdeen to help clear Stewarty Milnes debt, because let's face it, it is his debt. He was the one signing off on the spending, just because everyone else was doing it doesn't detract from the fact that he should have known that it was endangering the business. He can whine all he wants about what the fans expected, we were trying to keep up with the old firm etc. etc., because nowadays he doesn't seem to have a problem not doing what the fans expect, and he's certainly not trying to keep up with the old firm.

Calderwood is managing to consistently finish top six and is bringing in revenue whether through player sales or cup runs. In effect it is Calderwood who is beginning to balance our books. If he or rather the club continues to do this, there may then be investors who may be willing to invest in Aberdeen Football Club. The downside being if Calderwood continues to get top six and another run in Europe, I would expect him to be offered a job in Englandshire, presumably some compo for us again more revenue. The real test will be if that does happen, the board will have to find someone else who can continue this, and in this I wouldn't have confidence in the board.

Was sober for Madrid but fuck me, was I in bad nick for the Bayern game.

Made a bit of a img_4.jpg

of masel in fact!

But yeah, Bobby, take your point.

But back OT, without serious investment (and lets face it, that isn't going to happen unless one of the "REAL FANS" gets the 6 balls) 3rd is most likely the aim for any season. Hearts are "investing" a fortune in their playing staff and they split the OF but look how much it cost them! Aside from one of the OF having a mare (like PollyGwen when investment could have got us second) without saying it should be the end of our aspirations, it should be the target.

LoLz.

You gave Blake the American your Ultras t-shirt you bought and then after the game you shouted. "Some cunt whipped my fucking t-shirt!" Despite the explanation of a mistake, Blake still shat it and gave you the t-shirt back.

:lolabove:

I wasn't joking - I am convinced (always was) - but look at how much hearts spent on wages that season to get there and how much debt they've accrued.  And the money and ambition they've showed didn't do them any good this season.

I'm happy to sit tight for a few more years to try and get this debt reduced before I'll be expecting the club to be splashing the cash again.

Few more euro runs and cup runs like this year should hoepfully get the debt down.

but it's chicken and egg - speculate to accumulate - do performances brings attendances or do attendances bring performances.

True about Hearts, in a way. But then, when Burley left, Hearts' dramatic slide began. This in itself is proof to me that, if you have players with the ability, then the right manager will get you the results you require.

JC had a squad last season who, in the final game, showed what they can do. It wasn't Rangers who were off the ball, it was Aberdeen who were that bit better than their rivals. Problem is, JC keeps pissing around with his continental tactics, playing players out of position to accomodate his mates, and generally fucking up the easy games. If he took the same approach to every game as he took to the final six games, there definitely wouldn't have been a 20-odd point gap between us and the Old Firm. Might've even got that gap down to single-figures.

True about Hearts, in a way. But then, when Burley left, Hearts' dramatic slide began. This in itself is proof to me that, if you have players with the ability, then the right manager will get you the results you require.

JC had a squad last season who, in the final game, showed what they can do. It wasn't Rangers who were off the ball, it was Aberdeen who were that bit better than their rivals. Problem is, JC keeps pissing around with his continental tactics, playing players out of position to accomodate his mates, and generally fucking up the easy games. If he took the same approach to every game as he took to the final six games, there definitely wouldn't have been a 20-odd point gap between us and the Old Firm. Might've even got that gap down to single-figures.

Can't argue with that Reekie min.

I'm  beginning to think that having Calderwood is a solution to the problem. No investors will come in and put money into Aberdeen to help clear Stewarty Milnes debt, because let's face it, it is his debt. He was the one signing off on the spending, just because everyone else was doing it doesn't detract from the fact that he should have known that it was endangering the business. He can whine all he wants about what the fans expected, we were trying to keep up with the old firm etc. etc., because nowadays he doesn't seem to have a problem not doing what the fans expect, and he's certainly not trying to keep up with the old firm.

Calderwood is managing to consistently finish top six and is bringing in revenue whether through player sales or cup runs. In effect it is Calderwood who is beginning to balance our books. If he or rather the club continues to do this, there may then be investors who may be willing to invest in Aberdeen Football Club. The downside being if Calderwood continues to get top six and another run in Europe, I would expect him to be offered a job in Englandshire, presumably some compo for us again more revenue. The real test will be if that does happen, the board will have to find someone else who can continue this, and in this I wouldn't have confidence in the board.

Unique viewpoint. It is Milne that got us into this. I still don't understand how we got as far in debt as we did, to now be totally beholden to Milne.

You're right, Milne doesn't seem to care about the football. Over the whole 10+ years of his tenure, this has been consistent.

Top 6 finishes and cup runs are producing an operating break even, despite the huge number of non productives on the payroll.

We must have made a £2m+ profit this year surely.

Investors will be dissuaded from investing. We've never been made aware of queues of people waiting in the wings.

Don't see JC moving as a downside. Also don't think anyone who interviewed him properly would employ him.

I also have no faith in the present board and its sham set-up.