Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Because we insist on playing players out of positition and daft formations that would only work in rugby matches

But still got us to 4th place, two cup semis, and the last 32 of the UEFA cup.

That is the post of a fan who cares. That is a post of someone who actually invests time and money watching AFC.

Ah, the "true fan" debate  ::)

That post contains an accurate assessment of many of the failings that have brought AFC to where we are today.

Adding "in my opinion" to the above statement would have been better.  :thumbsup:

And where are we today?  Still the third team in Scotland.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And who will this benefit? The fans? Will the manager see any of it? Is the culture at AFC plc right? The club has been in a fucking state for the whole period of Stewart Milne's tenure, coincidentally, so lets not fucking bury our heads in the sand. They want us to accept the shite we've been given for over 10 years. Attacking dissenting views, and being dismissive and insulting to anyone daring to question the direction of the club, is a surefire way of more of the same.

Had he wished to mention the season as a whole, the general standard of play, the acceptance of a lowering of the standard of the squad by the board, the shocking defensive set up, switching keepers,  the seeming lack of leadership at the top and of a coherent plan for the long term future/stadium then yes.

I don't disagree with the sentiment at all but these issues that you mention are notably missing from the original post too.

Ah, the "true fan" debate  ::)

Adding "in my opinion" to the above statement would have been better.  :thumbsup:

We didnt earn 4th place - the teams above us gave it on a plate to us! What trophy did we win for those two semi finals - the nae quite good enough to actually get to a final shield - im sorry we have like 30 of them already altho non of which were won against queen of the south! And again last 32 of the eufa cup - a tournament in which rangers got to the final a team who we beat a little less then a week ago - and you you are happy?

Like i said another season with him at the helm cant be any worst then the last - i just hope we can find a settled team and settled formation and im sure we will all be happy bunnys come the end of the season  :thumbsup:

We didnt earn 4th place - the teams above us gave it on a plate to us! What trophy did we win for those two semi finals - the nae quite good enough to actually get to a final shield - im sorry we have like 30 of them already altho non of which were won against queen of the south! And again last 32 of the eufa cup - a tournament in which rangers got to the final a team who we beat a little less then a week ago - and you you are happy?

Like i said another season with him at the helm cant be any worst then the last - i just hope we can find a settled team and settled formation and im sure we will all be happy bunnys come the end of the season  :thumbsup:

WTF??

OK rocket_scientist, you pick the bones out of that one. ;)

We didnt earn 4th place

the results are there for all to see  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

And again last 32 of the eufa cup - a tournament in which rangers got to the final a team who we beat a little less then a week ago - and you you are happy?

Yep.  I wasn't expecting us to get to the UEFA cup final.

Again as rocket scientist said what was fun about getting beat 5-1, in a pure footballing sense?

I never said that the football side was fun. I just liked the experience of shouting 'ein'.

In a footballing sense, I would say it has to be considered a learning experience for the players, and at this stage, that has to be the point in entering...

Dunno. Probably something to do with the fact that we drew 2-2 in the home leg?!

Fantastic result - probably the best in the clubs recent history, because we showed fight and took the game to them and didnt sit back and wait for a pasting.

why was the same approach not take in the away leg!

At the risk of opening a can of worms - i dont think its impossible per-say

we proved this season that if we dont mess around we are capabable of matching / beating the best teams in the league - we beat celtic at parkhead - should have maybe got something out of the last away game too.

Rangers certainly arnt unbeatable - the key to winning any league is consistancy - something i fear we will never have under calderwood

Must be great to appreciate such a simplified view of tactics.

I thought Aberdeen played some great football in the away leg but Bayern were just too strong.

four-four-two... four-four-two... etc... etc...

So why hasn't every manager in the history of the game played this formation all the time - cos obviously it is the holy grail of formations.

Formations need to change as teams attack and defend and have to evolve as the other team makes changes - is that too complicated for you to understand Stoney?

Maybe since you don't go to pittodrie anymore you've learned your tactical awareness from watching schoolboy fitba?

How's the team you manage doing in the leagues anyway?

Must be great to "know best".

I certainly dont know best - but i know playing touzani as a sweeper in a 4-5-1 away to motherwell isnt going to work and i know the 4-6-0 formation we played away to kilmarnock isnt going to work!

OK rocket_scientist, you pick the bones out of that one. ;)

Other than his first statement in bold, which I don't agree with, although I sort of understand where he's coming from, I like his sentiments. This is why:-

As if 4th place, two cup semis, and the last 32 of the UEFA cup is some sort of achievement. It isn't. Other than an unlikely QF victory against a poor Celtic team, who after Barca dumped them were in a real slump - Motherwell even went to Parkhead after us and won - we beat rubbish to get to the semi's, then let in 8 in the both of them.

It's the continued "acceptance" of mediocrity at best, piss poor performances on the whole, needless tinkering, poor motivation and organisation, and never providing any real hope of a sniff of success for the fans that gets us pissed off. The conduct of the club, in stoking up this ridiculous "unrealistic expectations" "defence" of their lack of ambition is counter-productive. They've seemed to finally learn to ditch this line though, probably through forums like these, because we're not delighted, most of us.

and what was the formation when we beat celtic? for the whole game?

we will never have consistency with a thread bare squad that requires rotation.

Well I was there, and barely 1,000 of us bothered, and Lee Miller and Darren Mackie were on the pitch as far as I can recall. We got pummelled the whole game, but the one chance we did get, which the two of them combined to create, we took superbly. The formation couldn't have been anything other than 4-4-2 that game.

And if we are resigned to never having consistency, then what is the point? The reason we have such a threadbare squad, is because of the lack of investment in it. We must have made a £2m profit this year, despite all the non-productive hingers on that reside on the AFC plc wagebill, but how much will get ploughed into "football affairs"?

If we have a chairman who's priority is, as he said it was, "the product", the football on the park, then we should expect some exciting moves this summer. Initial activity in the transfer market looks to me like replacing outgoing wages with cheap "imports".

Finally, stoney, we aren't going to win the SPL under JC. You know this. So do I. He isn't going to get the budget that we probably could have afforded if we had a chairman who actually passionately cared about "the product", and if he suddenly did grow the ambition he has never shown, for a decade plus, then JC is not the man who could deliver.

If we had been what we "achieved" this season we would probably have taken it but the manner in which we capitulated at vital times was disappointing in the extreme.

Capitulation that would have been less likely had we strengthened in January or dare I say it, shown some ambition BEFORE we beat Dnipro and had a squad more suited to being in 4 tournaments.