Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Lovell vs Mackie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering the amount of time he's been with us, so has Mackie.

When Mackie comes onto the pitch for us I feel a hell of a lot more confident that something might happen. When Lovell comes onto the pitch I'm filled with the same kind of apathy that seemed to influence most of his performances.

If Mackie and Miller can link up the way they did against Rangers then we'll have a very potent strike force on our hands. The set up and goal was very reminiscent of Hately and McCoist.  :thumbsup:

Guest bloo_toon_red

He's done the square root of FA for us. He's been one of Calderwoods worst signings.

That is rubbish.

Last three seasons - Mackie has scored 21 goals, Lovell has scored 25.

They're much of a muchness when it comes down to it so it's very difficult to say that one is so much better than the other.  But in terms of being a potent goal threat, Lovell would win hands down.  Ergo I think Lovell will be missed because we now have nobody (until such time as we replace him properly) who we can look to to nick us a goal when the chips are down, something Lovell always gave us.

When Mackie comes onto the pitch for us I feel a hell of a lot more confident that something might happen. When Lovell comes onto the pitch I'm filled with the same kind of apathy that seemed to influence most of his performances.

But that's as a sub. We're surely talking about a first choice striking partnership here? And even as a sub, i'd reckon Lovell has scored as many as Mackie.

If Mackie and Miller can link up the way they did against Rangers then we'll have a very potent strike force on our hands. The set up and goal was very reminiscent of Hately and McCoist.  :thumbsup:

Surely not? No Aberdeen goalkeeper was kicked in the face at the same time...

That is rubbish.

Last three seasons - Mackie has scored 21 goals, Lovell has scored 25.

They're much of a muchness when it comes down to it so it's very difficult to say that one is so much better than the other.  But in terms of being a potent goal threat, Lovell would win hands down.  Ergo I think Lovell will be missed because we now have nobody (until such time as we replace him properly) who we can look to to nick us a goal when the chips are down, something Lovell always gave us.

I think Mackie offers a lot more. He harries defenders and wins balls that Lovell would never dream about going for. Lovell was a lazy Kris Boyd, without the goals.

Guest bloo_toon_red

I think Mackie offers a lot more. He harries defenders and wins balls that Lovell would never dream about going for. Lovell was a lazy Kris Boyd, without the goals.

I'd bet if you look at the minutes that Lovell has spent on the pitch this season, he'll likely have bettered a goal every 90 minutes.  And he probably wouldn't have been too far off that last season either.  So I'd say your summation of his lack of goals is pish.  His performance at Ibrox a few weeks back was pretty good as well - quite "Mackie-esque" with his annoying the defenders if you will.

The way I see it, Lovell has suffered due to JC's desire to play with a target man (ie, Miller, Brewster) and resultantly changed the way the team sets out to play.  The way we play is not so much creative as direct.  I'd also suggest this has been to the detriment of players like Severin - the movement of the players in front of him is pretty much non-existent with our strikers being deployed "back to goal", whereas when Lovell played he was always looking to peel off the shoulder of the last man.  Take the Gretna game where he came on - we saw some good through balls through to him but his inherent lack of confidence (understandable, but all the same unforgivable at the same time) meant he took an extra touch and fluffed it.  Moral of the story - the type of striker he is gave us that different option we don't have with Miller & Mackie.

The good thing about having Miller, Mackie, Lovell is that they can all offer different things, and so I feel it is hugely important to replace Lovell with someone similar but better, and I think that that will be very difficult given the quality on offer, therefore I'd much rather we kept him.

I'd bet if you look at the minutes that Lovell has spent on the pitch this season, he'll likely have bettered a goal every 90 minutes.  And he probably wouldn't have been too far off that last season either.  So I'd say your summation of his lack of goals is pish.  His performance at Ibrox a few weeks back was pretty good as well - quite "Mackie-esque" with his annoying the defenders if you will.

The way I see it, Lovell has suffered due to JC's desire to play with a target man (ie, Miller, Brewster) and resultantly changed the way the team sets out to play.  The way we play is not so much creative as direct.  I'd also suggest this has been to the detriment of players like Severin - the movement of the players in front of him is pretty much non-existent with our strikers being deployed "back to goal", whereas when Lovell played he was always looking to peel off the shoulder of the last man.  Take the Gretna game where he came on - we saw some good through balls through to him but his inherent lack of confidence (understandable, but all the same unforgivable at the same time) meant he took an extra touch and fluffed it.  Moral of the story - the type of striker he is gave us that different option we don't have with Miller & Mackie.

The good thing about having Miller, Mackie, Lovell is that they can all offer different things, and so I feel it is hugely important to replace Lovell with someone similar but better, and I think that that will be very difficult given the quality on offer, therefore I'd much rather we kept him.

I agree with this assessment.

His performance at Ibrox a few weeks back was pretty good as well - quite "Mackie-esque" with his annoying the defenders if you will.

When he was the lone striker at Tannadice up against Lee Wilkie and Garry Kenneth on his own in the game where he was slaughtered afterwards by Calderwood for not doing enough, he outmuscled Kenneth to win a penalty when most strikers would have been forgiven for thinking chasing the ball was a lost cause and produced an excellent defence splitting pass to put Nicholson through one on one with the keeper. Unfortunately Nicholson fluffed both opportunities.

It looks like Lovell is going to get the same treatment as Stavrum, unfairly labelled as lazy. I've seen Mackie have just as much, if not more, matches where he's looked disinterested and couldn't be bothered.

It looks like Lovell is going to get the same treatment as Stavrum, unfairly labelled as lazy. I've seen Mackie have just as much, if not more, matches where he's looked disinterested and couldn't be bothered.

Lovell (or Mackie) is not half the player Stavrum was.

Not particularly.

It's pretty clear that whoever is expected to replace him should be of equal standard or better.  From where I'm sitting it looks like the debate is about whether or not Mackie is better.

Given our strikers didn't score many goals last season, I would say it's a debate more important than any other.

We lost too many goals especially at home last season, I think that is way more important.

Lovell is by far the better player, he hasn't really delivered and is generally injured and when he has had a chance he hasn't looked overly keen to grasp it, in fact, at times, he has looked thoroughly uninterested and that is the most annoying thing about him.

We all asked for him to get a chance, when he got it, he genuinely looked like he couldn't give a fuck.

A player that really should have cemented himself in the team and I agree with BTR, we may well not replace him properly but we at least have an opportunity to replace him with someone who gives a flying fuck.

Mackie is not as good as Lovell, plenty of effort but to score fewer goals than Lovell with the number of starts he's had is pretty mediocre. Both are infuriating for missing very easily convertable chances, but Lovell is a far better player with a far inferior work rate.