Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Lovell vs Mackie

http://www.aberdeen.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=506778

I don't understand it. Why does a section of the Aberdeen support prefer Darren Mackie over Steve Lovell? There is no proper reason!

The facts are Steve Lovell is the best striker at our club, yet Calderwood doesn't play him:

Lovell - 0.29 goals per game

Mackie - 0.27 goals per game

Miller - 0.20 goals per game

Maguire - 0.09 goals per game

'But Lovell's goals are rubbish', I hear you cry. It's not that they're rubbish. It's that he's a natural predator that is always in the right place at the right time. Note the countless last minute winners and equalisers since he joined us.

He is also, to my eyes at least, the best one on one finisher. Off the top of my head, his first goal against Rangers, his last minute winner against Hearts at Tynecastle, the only goal in the 1-0 victory over Hearts at Pittodrie last season as well as the goal against Rangers in the last game of the season. You see, to finish one on ones, you need composure. This is something Darren Mackie doesn't only lack, but doesn't have. When the world is at his feet and he only has the keeper to beat, he's like a man on fire. Hibs 3-3 and Celtic 5-1 is all I'll say.

Lovell has played 30 and scored 5 this season. Mackie has played 26 and scored 4. What Soccerbase doesn't tell us is Lovell has played approximately 300 minutes this season, compared to Mackie's 1950.

Jimmy Calderwood obviously has some sort of personal vendetta against Lovell. Don't believe everything you read in the press, as they say. Well, when RedTV were doing the usual pre-match build up to a game this season which Lovell wasn't in the squad for, the commentator told us he saw Lovell in the canteen earlier in the day, when he knew he should have been on the bus on the way to the game. He asked him why he was in the canteen and Lovell replied because he wasn't picked, behind the unfit Mackie and some youth player. The next day Calderwood says in the Evening Express Lovell was struggling to shake off an injury.

When all you Mackie lovers know you've lost the argument, you will say 'Lovell's too lazy, Mackie gives 100% week in week out'. Well, it's not that Lovell is lazy, it's that he doesn't run about pointlessly for 90 minutes. He stands in positions where he can get the ball, and in places the ball is likely to fall to. Mackie on the other hand, is praised for defending and running about. THAT IS NOT HIS JOB. He is meant to score goals and he doesn't.

I just don't understand it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a manager who knew how to get the best out of him, a system that suited his style of play and some excellent players around him, Lovell could easily be one of the best strikers in the SPL.

Hasn't really worked out at Pittodrie for him, but he seems like a nice guy, has only ever had good things to say about the club, even when things haven't gone his way, so I wish him all the best and hope he can find a club where he feels more at home.

Stats like that mean sweet fuck all. Lovell is gone and he wont be missed. His whole Aberdeen career was based on ifs, buts and maybes and neither of those three things score us goals.

Now is the time for Miller and Mackie to get their heads down and form the partnership that we need them to.

I think lovel is 100 times better then mackie but how can you play a guy who blatantly doesnt give a fuck after comes on as a sub - about 4 games in a row he came on with bags of time to change a game and he just didnt try - no excuse for that.

Lovell on top form has the abilty to be one of the best strikers in the league unfortunatly jimmy didnt know how to play him or how to motivated him - he WILL come back to haunt us!

Stats like that mean sweet fuck all. Lovell is gone and he wont be missed. His whole Aberdeen career was based on ifs, buts and maybes and neither of those three things score us goals.

Now is the time for Miller and Mackie to get their heads down and form the partnership that we need them to.

Exactly.  :thumbsup:

Good luck with that...

Seriously, Mackie is absolute garbage, as we all know, but he's due a good season (by his standards) as his contract is up next summer. I was actually saying to someone during the huns match, after another misplaced pass from Barren, that I just kind of accept that Mackie is always going to be there or there abouts at Aberdeen... kind of like the illegitimate son the rest of the family don't really like.

but he's due a good season (by his standards) as his contract is up next summer

A lot of players are the same.

Some would suggest that explains Lee Miller's good form this season, as he was in the shop window with his contract coming up.

Good luck with that...

Seriously, Mackie is absolute garbage, as we all know, but he's due a good season (by his standards) as his contract is up next summer. I was actually saying to someone during the huns match, after another misplaced pass from Barren, that I just kind of accept that Mackie is always going to be there or there abouts at Aberdeen... kind of like the illegitimate son the rest of the family don't really like.

Mackies hitting the target when he gets the chances now, and he's doing it in the big games, he just needs to prove he can do it more regularly, and if Miller can give him the supply he needs then the evidence points towards a good season for him.

Mackies hitting the target when he gets the chances now, and he's doing it in the big games,

What about the small games though? We need goals in them too.

he just needs to prove he can do it more regularly, and if Miller can give him the supply he needs then the evidence points towards a good season for him.

You could say that about anyone.

Seems rather pointless to dredge up a debate on a player that is never going to play for us again.  I think it is more interesting to speculate to the future and how Foran (medical providing) will be employed.  For the record i rate mackie, he's a pain in the arse to defenders and gets important goals.  Not saying he doesnt make me pull my hair out though

Guest bloo_toon_red

Debating Lovell is an exercise in futility.

Not particularly.

It's pretty clear that whoever is expected to replace him should be of equal standard or better.  From where I'm sitting it looks like the debate is about whether or not Mackie is better.

Given our strikers didn't score many goals last season, I would say it's a debate more important than any other.

Mackies hitting the target when he gets the chances now, and he's doing it in the big games, he just needs to prove he can do it more regularly, and if Miller can give him the supply he needs then the evidence points towards a good season for him.

Has Mackie only had 4 chances all season?