Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

afc turn down invitiation to Deano's Testmonial

FAVOURITE: Dean Windass.

More Pictures

JIMMY Calderwood today revealed he turned down a plea from Dean Windass’ wife to take him back to Pittodrie.

Windass was a fans’ favourite during his three-year spell with the Dons from 1995 to 1998.

The striker fired Hull City into the English Premier League with the only goal in a 1-0 Championship Play-off final win over Bristol City at Wembley.

Windass’ goal earned a £60million windfall for his home-town club.

But it could have been so different if Calderwood had listened to the 39-year-old’s wife.

Calderwood said: “I met Dean’s wife a couple of years ago and she pleaded with me to bring him back to Aberdeen as she loved life in the city.

“Dean is something of a legend among the Aberdeen supporters for his exploits during his time at the club.

“His goal in the play-off was fairytale stuff and he will relish his adventure in the Premier League next season with Hull.â€

Windass even approached Calderwood earlier this year to arrange a pre-season clash with Hull in the summer for his testimonial.

The veteran striker began his career at Hull in the early 1990s before moving to Pittodrie.

However, the proposed date clashed with the Dons’ tour of Holland.

Calderwood said: “Dean called me six weeks ago asking if I would take an Aberdeen team to Hull this summer.

“Had it been possible, I would have taken the game, as I know he was a hero with the Aberdeen supporters.

“I am certain the fans would have travelled down south in vast numbers to honour Dean.â€

according to Aberdeen Mad (no sources) afc were approached to play in Dean Windass' Testamonial, at his request.  However we are in Holland at the time so have turned them down

glasgowsheep. Question. I've noticed that you've referred to Aberdeen Mad quite frequently in the last couple of weeks. Are there any plans afoot to consider a joint venture or perhaps any commercial reason why you would seek to continuously mention that site to DT users?

For what its worth, that place (like hat) is run by individuals, some of whom are not Dons fans (not a problem by itself) but some of whom hold Aberdeeen and Aberdonians in a really unhealthy contempt.

A pitty. Would've been awesome to honour Windass. He was one of the last legends I remember at Aberdeen. I think only Jess and Anderson have come close since him. But he was immense. I remember the days when we were 1-0 with ten minutes to go, and we could look to the bench and see Deano and Big Dunc sitting there. Both were capable of getting us injury time winners ... and time and time again, they lived up to their mantles of supersubs.

... and those yellow boots!

glasgowsheep. Question. I've noticed that you've referred to Aberdeen Mad quite frequently in the last couple of weeks. Are there any plans afoot to consider a joint venture or perhaps any commercial reason why you would seek to continuously mention that site to DT users?

For what its worth, that place (like hat) is run by individuals, some of whom are not Dons fans (not a problem by itself) but some of whom hold Aberdeeen and Aberdonians in a really unhealthy contempt.

I only mention it if that is where I got a story from, as above.  I use both sites and on this site, unlike some, we are quite happy to promote other afc related sites, we all support the same team after all.

I have no idea about the folk that run the site hating aberdeen and aberdonians, but I have to admit that although I love the city, having been away from the NE for 10yrs your perspective on Aberdeen, Aberdonians and the North East in general changes a bit.  Certainly some weegies-based views are over the top but there is more than a grain of truth in their observations.

I have no idea about the folk that run the site hating aberdeen and aberdonians, but I have to admit that although I love the city, having been away from the NE for 10yrs your perspective on Aberdeen, Aberdonians and the North East in general changes a bit.  Certainly some weegies-based views are over the top but there is more than a grain of truth in their observations.

That depends on which particular observations you are referring to, and yes, being away from the NE can assist clarity of perspective. 15 years overseas and many years living in other parts of Scotland certainly helps to make an informed decision as regards where best to bring up kids. I will never live in Aberdeen again, much as I love the place.