Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Tonights EE: Jimmy Lay off the local heroes

Jimmy: Lay off the local heroes

Calderwood tells boo boys to lay off Duff and Mair

By Charlie Allan

Published: 24/04/2008

JIMMY CALDERWOOD today called on the Red Army to stop picking on their local heroes.

The Aberdeen manager reckons criticism from supporters has hindered local pair Lee Mair and Stuart Duff as they attempt to get themselves established at Pittodrie.

The Aberdonian duo thought their dreams had come true when they joined their local club this season.

But there has only been despair for the Dons-daft duo, who have struggled to hold down a regular first team spots and found themselves the targets of some vicious abuse from sections of the Aberdeen support.

Both will take comfort from news that Jimmy Calderwood is convinced they can yet become major players.

Calderwood however, wants the Red Army to play their part in helping the former Dundee United duo make their mark.

“If the Dons fans gave Lee and Stuart a bit more backing it would really help to push them along,†said Calderwood.

“I don’t know what it is in Aberdeen with the local lads getting so much stick. I’ve never seen the likes of it in my life.

“You would think people here would be happy to see some of their own coming through. That’s what happens in other parts of the country but here the local lads seem to get picked on.

“Darren Mackie’s had it and Richard Foster’s also had spells when he was targeted.

“ I’ve been told that sort of stuff has hindered local lads at Pittodrie for years.

“Lee and Stuart have suffered more than most. Stuart doesn’t seem to have been given much of a chance, even though he is a good player.

“Like everyone else, you need to have confidence to make your mark at a new club and that’s when fans can help. I can assure our supporters Lee and Stuart are as passionate as they are about Aberdeen.

“They are living their dream when they pull on that red shirt so it must hurt a lot when they find themselves targets for abuse.â€

Duff, signed from United in January on a free transfer, made a bad blunder in his debut against Hearts which did not help.

His pass-back was intercepted by Christian Nade, who scored the only goal.

Calderwood said: “That’s the only thing Stuart has really done wrong.

“The sad thing is, the Hearts player would never have been in the position to score if he hadn’t been lazy wandering out from an offside position.

“Stuart had been playing well, so it’s cruel the fans have given him pelters.

“Stuart, to his credit, has continued to get stuck in at training and has been playing well for the reserves.

“He has shown a great attitude.â€

Duff’s contract is due to expire in the summer, so he was grateful to get a start in last weekend’s 1-0 SPL defeat by Celtic.

He played as an attacking midfielder and was encouraged to get forward to support striker Lee Miller.

Calderwood said: “The performance at Celtic Park hasn’t done Stuart’s chances of getting a new contract any harm.

“Given that he is under pressure to get a new deal, I had to be fair on Stuart and play him in his best position.

“He got forward well and into great positions.â€

Mair’s hopes of becoming a regular have been hampered by injuries, but Calderwood is sure he will show why the Dons were so happy to snap him up.

Calderwood said: “Lee still has a year to go in his contract, so will definitely be here next season.

“He is a good defender and has the sort of experience we have missed badly for most of the season.

“If Lee had stayed fit he would have been involved because he is strong, aggressive and brave when it comes to defending at set pieces.â€

Yes they may be Aberdeen fans Jimmy, but if was to put on a red jersey and play for the dons I would get abuse too as I would be rank rotten. They are just not good enough.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, because we've not seen them play enough minutes to determine one way or the other. Yes, early impressions are not good, but this is the first thing that's come out of the fat orange mouth that I actually understand, and agree with. I don't know about here but the other sites contain opinions that are just over the top in the criticism, of players who have hardly played for AFC.

Both have been rank in the games I have seen them in before and since they have signed for us. Neither is good enough to be playing for Dons and should be moved on as quickly as possible. Sadly looks like JC will be keeping them. Makes me concerned about standard of player JC is looking at for next season if JC thinks these two balloons are good enough to stay.

Are we not missing the point here?

Yes, the ability of these players is questionable, but they are not picking the team, so why boo them?  Its not their fault they are playing.

I've never agreed with booing players while they are playing, and also while they are warming up like some folk did to Mackie once  :wanker:

I do agree with r_s, some folk are far too quick to get on players backs before they've even played a game.  Everybody deserves a chance.

From what I've seen, I don't think Duff and Mair are good enough for us, although Duff has a chance in the last few games to try and prove us wrong.

Both will take comfort from news that Jimmy Calderwood is convinced they can yet become major players.

??? 

I kinda hoped these would be 2 of the players making way for the arrival of the dirty dozen?  Worryingly, Jimbo obviously has other plans...

Are we not missing the point here?

Yes, the ability of these players is questionable, but they are not picking the team, so why boo them?  Its not their fault they are playing.

I've never agreed with booing players while they are playing, and also while they are warming up like some folk did to Mackie once   :wanker:

I do agree with r_s, some folk are far too quick to get on players backs before they've even played a game.  Everybody deserves a chance.

From what I've seen, I don't think Duff and Mair are good enough for us, although Duff has a chance in the last few games to try and prove us wrong.

I doubt very much that people are booing them everytime they touch the ball.  They may however get onto them if they waste passes, fluff shots or control the ball into the stands.

And why the fuck shouldn't you?

I remember the days where a lot of players were liked by some, the dury out on others then there were those that just didn't rate them.

Now we have unanimous votes for the 'utter mince' catagory.

I see so it is our fault that Duff and Mair are shite.

And there was me thinking they were shit long before arriving at Pittodrie.

Also does he not realise that if a player is shite then the boo boys (rightly or wrongly) will get on their backs whether they are aberdonian like these loons, Dutch like Bus or Fife minks like Jackie-can't-believe-I-persuaded-afc-to-pay-me-for-a-year-McNamamara.

I just cant believe he is at the fans again.

These 2 in particular were Not good enough for Dutd and asked to find other clubs so why the hell does JC think that makes them good enough for Aberdeen.

Noone got on Russel Anderson back and  he is a local loon.

We get on any players back if they are simply not good enough for our team and many of our players come into that bracket. I really dont care where they come from.

I would love it if more local boys come through the ranks but JC never gives them a chance for that matter any youngsters.   >:(

Noone got on Russel Anderson back and  he is a local loon.

Go back 10 years or so and you'll probably find that plenty did.

I don't agree with Jimmy that the fans get on local lads' backs in particular, but I do think we can far too quick to judge players at times, particularly those just breaking into the side like Foster a couple of years back and Maguire this season.

Why is he asking us to 'give them a break'?!?

Surely as professionals who have chosen a career in a spectator sport they should be breaking their necks to prove how good they are?!?! Its up to them to shut us up by putting in a good performance! Quick as we are to critiscise, we are equally quick to praise effort and (whisper it) a bit of fuckin quality!

They really are living out our fantasy by even pulling on the shirt - it is hardly suprising if we call them for everything if they are making a mockery of our dream is it? I never dreamt of being a 'mediocre' Dons player. I was always totaly fucking magic in my back garden - banging in the goals (off the side of the shed, whilst trying to avoid breaking the greenhoose), making 70 yard pin-point passes (5 yards in reality - the garden wasnae big), and bewildering (imaginary) defences with dazzling mazy runs roond the wee bit green that we had.

Maybe your time would be better spent telling the pair of them to grow a pair, Jimmy!

Jess was a fairly local lad, and he took abuse at times, as did Scott Booth.

I just reckon that players that aren't doing well enough get abuse. Some more than most but the reasons for that can be fans know what players can do and if they don't perform to those standards they get pelters (Booth, Jess, Severin, Clark, Mackie) and others who are genuinely painful to watch (Bus, Mair, Duff, Foster).

Add to that a very reactionary and fickle support and you get players getting ripped badly irrespective of where they are from.