Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Official - McNamara is offski

‘GREAT PROFESSIONAL’ CAN HELP TEAM-MATES COPE WITH CUP DISAPPOINTMENT, SAYS CALDERWOOD

Published: 16/04/2008

ABERDEEN manager Jimmy Calderwood believes Jackie McNamara has the strength of character to cope with personal criticism and help his team-mates deal with the anger of disillusioned supporters.

Calderwood and his squad have come under fire after last weekend’s Scottish Cup semi-final humiliation by Queen of the South.

Several players have been singled out for criticism, including former Celtic captain McNamara, who was booed when he was substituted on Saturday and further vilified for running straight up the tunnel rather than take his place in the dugout.

Calderwood believes the veteran defender’s vast experience in the game will be vital in helping others recover before Saturday’s SPL trip to Celtic Park.

He said: “I don’t think the mood at the club has lightened yet.

“What happened on Saturday is not something you get over quickly.

“This week we will have to lift the players, but sometimes as a manager you need to be lifted as well, which can be difficult.

“You are always going to get people criticising certain players or managers, but the players are big enough to handle it. They accept the praise when things are going well and, while I have not seen all of the criticism, it is part and parcel of the game and you have to take it when it comes.

“The players have got to help each other. Jackie McNamara has massive experience which helps.

“It is all about character and you learn things the hard way.

“We cannot run away from the fact we deserved stick for the game.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAAWWWW!! has di wittle ex celtic captain  got a wittle wippy on coz the support dont fink hes a demi god any more?

If this is true then he should never wear an AFC shirt again.

If this is true then I shall be getting drunker than normal in celebration. :thumbsup:

Bit of a nothing story as we know this already, but oh well.

Defender Jackie poised to quit Dons

D-Day for veteran defender McNamara  :wave:

By Charlie Allan

Published: 21/04/2008

IN TALKS: Dons defender Jackie McNamara could quit the club today.

More Pictures

THE Dons fear they may have to agree to release defender Jackie McNamara later today.

Manager Jimmy Calderwood was staging crunch talks with the 34-year-old, who was allowed to stay at home with his family in Dunfermline when Aberdeen lost 1-0 to Celtic in the SPL in Glasgow.

Calderwood admitted they are considering canceling the remaining year of McNamara’s contract with Aberdeen because the former Celtic skipper is unhappy at Pittodrie.

Calderwood said: “We want Jackie to stay, but we will know if that can happen after we speak to him today.

“Jackie asked to meet me on Tuesday and made it clear he has found it difficult since joining Aberdeen.

“It’s a shame things have come to this because Jackie’s had a wonderful career.

“He is very down on the back of what happened to him recently.

“It hurt him that I took him off twice in big games.

“I can understand that but I won’t criticise him because I have far too much respect for Jackie.â€

Calderwood told McNamara to take time off and discuss things with his family before deciding if he wants to call it a day with the Dons.

Calderwood said: “The main problem is his family are settled in Dunfermline and don’t want to move up to the North-east. Jackie has found the regular travelling back and forth from Aberdeen and time away from his family tough to handle.

“We don’t want to lose Jackie, but the next step is up to him.

“If he’s not happy, for whatever reason, we won’t be too hard to deal with.

“We certainly won’t be asking him to move his family to Aberdeen because his children are settled at school and things like that.

“If he wants more time to think things through Jackie will get it.

“But his heart has to be 100% with Aberdeen or else there is no point.â€

Calderwood hinted that McNamara is unlikely to be the last player under contract who could move.

He said: “We’ve made some announcements already as far as team changes go, but there’s more to come.â€

One player who won’t be coming in is Dutch keeper Stefan Postma.

Calderwood said: “I know all about Stefan and we are looking to sign a goalie, but it won’t be him.â€

Backs up my suspicion that professional footballers are the biggest bunch of drama queens out there.

I've worked with hundreds of men and women who spend their working week away from their families so they can give them a better standard of living.  I've also worked with plenty who have over 2 hours daily commute to and from work who just get on with it.  But poor Jackie can't manage to drive up to Aberdeen a couple times a week.  ::)

Calderwood said: The main problem is his family are settled in Dunfermline and don't want to move up to the North-east. Jackie has found the regular travelling back and forth from Aberdeen and time away from his family tough to handle.

Tough fucking tittie.

We certainly won't be asking him to move his family to Aberdeen because his children are settled at school and things like that.

You shouldn't need to ask.  If you're paying someone a wage and they're turning up fucked then either you bin them or tell them to move because it's effecting their work.

Calderwood hinted that McNamara is unlikely to be the last player under contract who could move.

Thoughts?

He was happy to sign a 2 year deal on a high wage. If he doesn't want to fulfil that for whatever reasons then should he not have to buy out his own contract?

If we wanted to break the contract we'd have had to have paid him off, surely it works both ways.

He was happy to sign a 2 year deal on a high wage. If he doesn't want to fulfil that for whatever reasons then should he not have to buy out his own contract?

If we wanted to break the contract we'd have had to have paid him off, surely it works both ways.

Hear fit you're saying Penfold, but think we should just be glad he is going rather than sitting it out.

Exactly, he should be told in no uncertain terms that he's expected at training at 9am, Monday to Friday for the next year.  If he's got a problem with that it's up to him to negotiate a way out. 

"We won't be too hard to deal with."  ::)

Why the fuck not, nobody ever does us any favours.  As usual afc roll over and get shafted up the arse, the way the club is run is often baffling.

I know we won't miss Jackie, but there is principle at stake here.