Author Topic: What Have You Been Watching on TV?  (Read 167019 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
Re: What Have You Been Watching on TV?
« Reply #1600 on: March 23, 2019, 05:57:14 PM »
Tempted to ask for a refund on my TV licence.

Now now. Develop some tolerance. Just because it's way over your head doesn't mean that we can't enjoy it. The BBC aren't there to serve you you you. I never liked Only Fools and Horses or Allo Allo or Dad's Army or The Office or Partridge or 95+% of sitcoms but I understand that many of you lap up that shit. We are all different. The secret is to identify and understand precisely why we don't like some things and like others.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline minijc

• Captain
  • Rating: -184
« Reply #1601 on: March 23, 2019, 09:13:33 PM »
It's easy not to 'get' Limmy, some of his work can be hit or miss but that can be said about many comedians, I warmed to him more when he was doing his vines, this one below is my favourite by far.

Just fuck off and die.

LIMA OSCAR LIMA

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1602 on: March 23, 2019, 09:43:48 PM »
That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't agree that he's ever a "miss". More than half his stuff doesn't make me laugh but nor should it. Just like his piece in the homemade show about what is comedy, he's not actually a "comedian", certainly not in any genre that's ever been seen before. Some of his stuff makes me howl with laughter but his social observation stuff is fucking awesome, the cancer awareness bands and the double dildo old couple being radical and unique ways at looking at stuff, fashion and followers in the former, the need to communicate in the latter. He's a hugely intelligent and original genius who's walked the walk and lived his life. The hopelessness of the party talk guy and of Deedee from Yoker has never been done before, anywhere on the planet. She's turned the weans against us is another phenomenal and idiosyncratically Scottish look at the underside of our country, as indeed the plasterer was.

Offline minijc

• Captain
« Reply #1603 on: March 23, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
That's fair and I agree, two others that I'd add to the ones you've mentioned would be "What's yer thing" and the episode with Falconhoof where Jester is used.  There's another I like but can't find the clip, it's about people in cars staring then it cuts to what they see and it's Limmy like dancing. (I'm shit at explaining this)
Just fuck off and die.

LIMA OSCAR LIMA

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1604 on: March 23, 2019, 10:06:42 PM »
What's yer hing (not thing) was brilliant, an acknowledgement of the secret sicknesses all around.

Falconhoof wasn't always my fav but the Kill Jester one had me falling over in laughter. The way he married Scottish nihilism, a total lack of respect for the rules and authority with a sense of entitlement was incredibly funny and clever.

Offline minijc

• Captain
« Reply #1605 on: March 23, 2019, 10:14:05 PM »
Ah sorry, I searched "What's yer hing" and nothing showed, the other one I was on about is "People in motors" but can't find it on youtube.

Out of interest Rocket, have you watched Afterlife?  new series from Ricky Gervais, I've only just warmed to him recently but for me this latest piece of work from him is absolute genius, can understand why some don't like it but it made properly laugh at some parts and really think at others.
Just fuck off and die.

LIMA OSCAR LIMA

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1606 on: March 23, 2019, 10:22:11 PM »
No not seen it. Never liked Gervais for the obvious reasons but I do acknowledge his tremendous talent. As I've not seen anything he's done for over a decade, I guess he could be worth a new look. He surely still can't be peddling the same pathos individual joke, although it's a model others have used successfully throughout their careers, appreciated only by simple morons of course  ;)

Offline minijc

• Captain
« Reply #1607 on: March 23, 2019, 10:28:46 PM »
No not seen it. Never liked Gervais for the obvious reasons but I do acknowledge his tremendous talent. As I've not seen anything he's done for over a decade, I guess he could be worth a new look. He surely still can't be peddling the same pathos individual joke, although it's a model others have used successfully throughout their careers, appreciated only by simple morons of course  ;)
I couldn't get in to his stuff before and I thought he was a cunt but have since watched interviews with him which have helped me understand and appreciate his work a bit more.  Afterlife is about a guy who loses his wife and he wants to kill himself but he can't because his dog is hungry.
Just fuck off and die.

LIMA OSCAR LIMA

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1608 on: March 24, 2019, 12:09:00 AM »
After Life is exactly the same formula and why I've never liked his "art".

Offline Kowalski

• Global Moderator
  • Rating: -17
« Reply #1609 on: March 29, 2019, 08:53:21 AM »
Excellent 3 part documentary about Peter Sutcliffe on BBC4 this week.  Very well put together, and quite enlightening as to what attitudes to women were like in the 1970s, particularly those who walked the streets, and how inept the police investigation seemed to be (witnesses were ignored, and Sutcliffe was questionned and released 9 times!?).

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1610 on: March 29, 2019, 09:03:45 AM »
I saw that Sutcliffe film and it was very good. The pigs were horrific, as were the media when they brought out the chequebooks, blindly unaware that justice could well have been compromised. The biggest suggestion for me coming out of the botched investigation was that the head pig, now dead head pig, took the letters and the tapes personally. His military background and low intellect brought out his combativeness but the fat porker bastard forgot that the discipline he once needed had long since gone, his belly being a permanent reminder of his greed and overindulgence.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:13:17 AM by rocket_scientist »

Offline rumpus2

• Under 19's
  • Rating: -4
« Reply #1611 on: April 02, 2019, 11:06:45 PM »
Line of Duty new series begun at the weekend past.

Excellent first episode, doesn't look as if it will disappoint.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1612 on: April 03, 2019, 07:14:36 PM »
Line of Duty new series begun at the weekend past.

Excellent first episode, doesn't look as if it will disappoint.

Waiting for this to come out over here.  Enjoyed the previous series.

Started watching the OA on Netflix, bizarre series that i'm not sure about yet, but interesting nonetheless.

Looking forward to stranger things / handmaids tale and of GOT coming out this year.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #1613 on: April 03, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »
Started watching the OA on Netflix, bizarre series that i'm not sure about yet, but interesting nonetheless.

I liked it. Bit stupid in places, but original enough and good. Brit Marling very good.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1614 on: April 15, 2019, 09:38:12 AM »
I liked it. Bit stupid in places, but original enough and good. Brit Marling very good.

Started the second series.  As you said, original and stupid in places, but we're enjoying it.

Watched the first episode of the final series of GOT tonight. Glad to have it back!

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1615 on: April 30, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »
So, GoT has been predictably great! Won't discuss it as I know everyone hates spoilers.

New series of Killing Eve has started over here.  As good as the previous series, and I have to congratulate Villanelle on her perfect pronunciation of Hagel Slag  :thumbsup:  She's also a stunner.

Looking forward to Deep State / Handmaids Tale / Stranger things which all start over the next few months.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1616 on: May 19, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
Catch 22. Loved the book, watched the first episode directed by George Clooney. Hilarious viewing, although the wife wasnt too keen.

Also started the second series of deep state. Loved it the first time round and its not disappointing this time round either

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1617 on: June 02, 2019, 10:50:07 PM »
Delhi crime, which is about the horrific gang rape on a bus in Delhi. Interesting to see how they do things (from a police perspective) over there.

Started the chernobyl series last night too. Understandably grim

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #1618 on: June 06, 2019, 01:30:57 PM »
The Virtues. Best thing I've seen on the telly in a long time.

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -57
« Reply #1619 on: June 06, 2019, 04:02:10 PM »
Just on the iPlayer but the Allan Clarke diary’s have been worth a look.