Author Topic: What Have You Been Watching on TV?  (Read 237749 times)

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 19
Re: What Have You Been Watching on TV?
« Reply #1680 on: May 01, 2020, 08:44:49 PM »
Why I watched it I have no idea, but just watched the 91 title decider on the BBC.  :o  :'(

Was as gutted now as I was back then, but as a 17 year old I thought we would have many more chances to win the league, didn't really work out that way though.  :(

Even when 2-0 down I was still willing us on to get the equalizer.  :D

What a team we had though and to think we could have changed the game up here if only we had got a point that day.

I wasn't at the game, but fuck it must have been a horrible place to be after that.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -199
« Reply #1681 on: May 02, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »
Normal People. Fantastic. On BBC iPlayer.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Online manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 77
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #1682 on: May 04, 2020, 12:22:19 AM »
Watched last dance on netflix, excellent behind the scenes views of the bulls during the Johnson era. Well worth a watch

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1683 on: May 09, 2020, 09:37:46 AM »
Watched last dance on netflix, excellent behind the scenes views of the bulls during the Johnson era. Well worth a watch

One of the best series I've ever seen. Loving it. And I know zero about basketball.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1684 on: May 09, 2020, 09:44:29 AM »
12 episodes (of 30) in of Ozark on Netflix. Done it in three sittings so far and will have it finished in the next week. Some preposterous plot lines but very gripping.

Finished it on Thursday. That's 30 hours of my life I won't get back. Regretted it. Gripping was all it was but suspense without nuance, credibility or substance isn't worth the effort.

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -54
« Reply #1685 on: May 13, 2020, 07:26:27 AM »
I'm going to raise the intellectual bar here ( but the iplayer is full of classics lately)

The Belles of St. Trinians

An absolute masterclass from Alastair Sim as Miss Fritton.
Joyce Grenfell at her best.
George Cole ( the invisible man)
Sid James gets a mention just for having his face.
Lots of girls in school uniforms and stockings ( I even recognised Andre Melly)

What's not to like?

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 40
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #1686 on: May 15, 2020, 08:34:29 PM »
Sportscene rewind was a decent watch this evening.

Only seen highlights of the featured games on 'Team of the Decade' etc but tonight got to see extended versions which showed the matches weren't as one sided as they seemed in the old videos.

Also didn't know Roy Aitken was sent off in the 1984 cup final.
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1687 on: May 15, 2020, 09:00:28 PM »
Sportscene rewind was a decent watch this evening.

Only seen highlights of the featured games on 'Team of the Decade' etc but tonight got to see extended versions which showed the matches weren't as one sided as they seemed in the old videos.

Also didn't know Roy Aitken was sent off in the 1984 cup final.

I was at every one of those games. Great memories.

Looking back now, I think it was belief and self confidence that defined that era. I couldn't remember Hearts having as much of the ball as tonight's highlights suggested during the Yonny Hewitt show. In fact I thought that was the most dominant final of the four. You just knew AFC would win those 4 Scottish Cups, even 83 which was a shit game.

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -54
« Reply #1688 on: May 16, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
I was at all except the league wins in Edinburgh.

The cup games against the gruesome twosome were, as you would expect, difficult to win.
Scottish football doesn’t allow trophies to leave Glasgow easily.

Roy Aitken was a thug.
The things I saw him getting away with at Parkhead in particular still make me shudder.

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1689 on: May 16, 2020, 09:39:46 PM »
I watched the Sportscene programme about Aberdeen and found it excellent, but you have to realise I was only 6 when we first won the league in 1980, so my memories are vague at best of this period.

You guys were lucky to have witnessed first hand how great that team were and a team which we will never see the likes of again. I doubt I will ever see us win the league in the flesh in my lifetime

I remember the 82 cup final being one of the first games of football I ever watched in full and can still feel the anxiety when Rangers took the lead in the game and I have to comment that Rangers looked more dirty back then than they do now, something I never thought possible.

In the 83 cup final I though Sandy Clarke was a dirty bastard for going through Leighton in the first half and also think Aitken deserved to go in the 84 final and would have been great if Doug Bell had got the winner from that cracking shot that came of the post and led to the McGhee winner.

Was as good a 90 minutes of TV as any and my loons couldn't believe how good we were and that we weren't intimidated by the weegies.

Hard to believe after watching that and seeing a young Tattie Cooper involved in them all and is no longer with us.  :(

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1690 on: May 17, 2020, 08:39:19 PM »
The Scotland Brazil game from 1974 on BBC Scotland just now is a great watch. Fuck we had some great footballers. Martin Buchan was a class act. Most of my age (including me) describe Willie Miller as the best-ever Don. I saw Buchan often but mostly when I was primary school age. Wonder if I was 5/10 years older if I'd say that Martin was the better footballer? He was silky, intelligent and fast in both foot and mind.

Edit: Kenny Dalglish reminding me in this game of my thoughts about his international career. He never cut the mustard in a Scotland shirt, a major disappointment.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:43:11 PM by rocket_scientist »

Offline TheDeeDon

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1691 on: May 17, 2020, 09:51:26 PM »
Watched the Brazil Scotland game too and first time I had seen a lot of these players in action.

Decent enough game but neither team took any prisoners but no fannying about by them after the crunching tackles and they could play a bit too.

Bremner got a head on him and it didn't seem to bother him much. A different breed if player back then.