Author Topic: Todays fitba  (Read 652815 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
Re: Todays fitba
« Reply #9140 on: May 30, 2019, 09:36:50 AM »

Ainsley Maitland-Niles can't be a name for a footballer, for fuck sake that's a name for a poet or something.

I would've thought chef or horse racing trainer more than the arts.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 117
« Reply #9141 on: May 30, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »
I was surprised to read your original post but not surprised by the absolutist position you take, a habit of yours. Ozil didn't get picked for his country by accident, Germany being one of the best in the world. He didn't get a £330k per week (the biggest at the time) from Wenger for being shite and for all his management weaknesses, Arsene was one of the best talent-identifiers in history.

There are always reasons for a great performer underperforming. Labelling them as poop without seeking to understand those reasons, or failing to even see the undoubted quality within him is hugely ignorant.

Why do you think Ozil was fucking pish again last night then Rocket? I'm of the opinion that it's because he's vastly overrated as a player and a complete fucking fanny as a person. Players supposedly on his level take responsibility. He's not interested. 

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #9142 on: June 01, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »
Saturday afternoon TV.....England v NZ (wifies)

Ah well at least you can always guarantee some comedy gold.....usually from the goalkeepers

Offline bearsdenred

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 12
« Reply #9143 on: June 01, 2019, 06:28:28 PM »
so who is showing that game tonight.

Online manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #9144 on: June 01, 2019, 10:23:14 PM »
What a brutal match.

Mon the ferns, great result  :thumbsup:

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -57
« Reply #9145 on: June 01, 2019, 11:26:43 PM »
That's the end of a terrible season.

Thank fuck for that.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #9146 on: June 02, 2019, 06:24:07 AM »
Saturday afternoon TV.....England v NZ (wifies)

Ah well at least you can always guarantee some comedy gold.....usually from the goalkeepers

Not quite the resounding victory for Engerlund that this was meant to be :D

No doubt though they will take it out on Scotland
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #9147 on: June 04, 2019, 12:56:32 PM »
What a brutal match.

Mon the ferns, great result  :thumbsup:

You OK, Manc?  :-*

I'd be raging if I was a Spurs fan. They had a once in a lifetime opportunity and they fucked it. They learned fuck all from their tie with Ajax and did what Aberdeen do.. Wait until we're 2-0 down before playing. Liverpool were shite and they still thoroughly deserved to win. Spurs asked no questions of them and they never had to come out of second gear. All in all pretty disgraceful from Spurs IMO. Seemed happy just to be there and were beaten before the match started. Not the attitude that dragged them through vs Ajax!

A lot of folk having a right whinge about the quality of the final. People without agendas knows that a final is always more likely to be a cagey affair and have apparently forgotten the amazing entertainment in most of the ties played in the tournament this year.

Online manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #9148 on: June 04, 2019, 09:09:47 PM »
Haha, tyrant. I've no agenda. Sure I had a preference as to who would win, but it didn't affect my life. I woke up early to watch a horrific advert for the game, that's my issue. Even the Liverpool fans I was with said it was one of the worst matches they'd seen in a long time. I wanted ajax in the final, they deserved it and I've no doubt it would have been a better final. That said, Liverpool were shit. Just slightly less shit than spurs.

As you said, spurs did a Aberdeen.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #9149 on: June 05, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »
Just to be clear the "agenda" comment was aimed at folk who work tirelessly to try and convince themselves that English teams are overrated and that the CL is shite to suit their anti-English agenda. Only the first line was aimed specifically at you.

I'm not trying to claim that it wasn't a shite game. Of course it was. But the knockout stages alone this year had some of the most entertaining matches and amazing stories I've ever seen. Would love to see Ajax competing at the business end of the tournament again next season although as with Spurs I can't see them being there regularly.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #9150 on: June 05, 2019, 10:19:30 AM »
Just to be clear the "agenda" comment was aimed at folk who work tirelessly to try and convince themselves that English teams are overrated and that the CL is shite to suit their anti-English agenda. Only the first line was aimed specifically at you.

I'm not trying to claim that it wasn't a shite game. Of course it was. But the knockout stages alone this year had some of the most entertaining matches and amazing stories I've ever seen. Would love to see Ajax competing at the business end of the tournament again next season although as with Spurs I can't see them being there regularly.

Has anyone ever argued that the standard of football in the CL is shite? They're just individual games of fitba featuring the world's most expensive players, so games are equally as likely to be shite or good as any other level of fitba. I think most people have an issue with the tournament itself, the way it's setup etc. which fits nicely with the anti-English agenda, because it is largely similar. They don't like what it is rather than what it produces. I don't dislike a champions league game, I just dislike (or am not interested in) the tournament itself. Isn't that a pretty reasonable stance to take?

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #9151 on: June 06, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
Has anyone ever argued that the standard of football in the CL is shite? They're just individual games of fitba featuring the world's most expensive players, so games are equally as likely to be shite or good as any other level of fitba. I think most people have an issue with the tournament itself, the way it's setup etc. which fits nicely with the anti-English agenda, because it is largely similar. They don't like what it is rather than what it produces. I don't dislike a champions league game, I just dislike (or am not interested in) the tournament itself. Isn't that a pretty reasonable stance to take?

Well it's up to yourself if you like or not and why that is. Are you referring to the name being factually incorrect? For me it's a new name away from being spot on. I've never liked the name "Champion's" League because, as we all know, you don't have to be your domestic league's champion to qualify. Fair warning - you're about to read a flash of brilliance.. I'd probably call it something along the lines of "The European Cup".  :o

What I don't like about it though, is how the early rounds are more and more geared for screwing the smaller teams out of a piece of the pie. And this shite about certain teams from the "top 5 European leagues" qualifying automatically regardless of their league finishing position can get right to fuck.

As an entertaining football tournament with good players and matches (which is the the purpose of sport after all) it has been excellent recently.

Offline RicoS321

• Captain
  • Rating: 73
« Reply #9152 on: June 06, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »
Well it's up to yourself if you like or not and why that is. Are you referring to the name being factually incorrect? For me it's a new name away from being spot on. I've never liked the name "Champion's" League because, as we all know, you don't have to be your domestic league's champion to qualify. Fair warning - you're about to read a flash of brilliance.. I'd probably call it something along the lines of "The European Cup".  :o

I couldn't give a fuck about the name. In terms of the tournament setup, I've always preferred the knock out style unless it's a league format where everyone is invited (which it couldn't be at european level obviously) such as the League Cup here and is designed to help smaller teams by giving them bigger games. I think it's okay I suppose but - like the Europa league - the tournament design results in exponential rewards for reaching a particular level (the group stage) of that tournament rather than an incremental bonus per round like the Scottish Cup for instance.

What I don't like about it though, is how the early rounds are more and more geared for screwing the smaller teams out of a piece of the pie. And this shite about certain teams from the "top 5 European leagues" qualifying automatically regardless of their league finishing position can get right to fuck.

Yep, exactly as I suggested, not suggesting the CL is shite in terms of quality (obviously), but examples like yours above are what is critical. It basically underpins the entire thing. I'm pretty certain you don't need explaining as to how detrimental the CL is to football in this country for instance. I just choose not to separate the fitba from the political element of it so it doesn't interest me (not to the extent I would ignore it if it was on in the pub or whatever, but I wouldn't actively seek it out to watch).

As an entertaining football tournament with good players and matches (which is the the purpose of sport after all) it has been excellent recently.

I don't believe that is the purpose of sport. From a "purity of football" perspective then obviously accumulating the best players in the world and playing them will result in the best football by-in-large. I think that there is far more to sport than that. Indeed, what makes the CL special from a footballing perspective is exactly what makes it so damaging for the sport in general. In much the same way as land and property accumulation does in every day society.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #9153 on: June 06, 2019, 10:39:44 PM »
England beaten easily by Holland tonight thanks to some defensive howlers. If Dutch can find a natural finisher they could be frighteningly good. Only reason it got to extra time was down to poor finishing by Dutch.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:42:18 PM by Jute »

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
« Reply #9154 on: June 06, 2019, 10:52:22 PM »
Kane was futile when he came on at HT. Just as bad and ineffective as he was on Saturday.

England are so desperate to convince themselves that Kane is the messiah. There are many reasons why he will never be regarded in the same class as Lineker and Shearer. A very good footballer for sure, he's too stupid to be a great. His intellectual retardation is quite painful to watch actually both on and particularly off the pitch.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #9155 on: June 07, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
England beaten easily by Holland tonight thanks to some defensive howlers. If Dutch can find a natural finisher they could be frighteningly good. Only reason it got to extra time was down to poor finishing by Dutch.

They seem to be consoling themselves by convincing themselves that the two defensive mistakes were isolated incidents and if it weren't for them they would have won. Obviously forgetting the the only reason they were ever ahead in the match was because of a very similar defensive mistake from the Dutch. England second best throughout and Holland not playing particularly well. Never had to. Was delighted to see them get beat even moreso after seeing their fans' behaviour in Portugal. That disallowed goal that VAR chopped off late on was fucking sweet as a nut.  :wave:

I think Portugal will win on Sunday. They're at home and Holland don't have a good record against them. But papping England oot was the priority.  :thumbsup: England might win the 3rd place play off though.  :laughing:

Kane was futile when he came on at HT. Just as bad and ineffective as he was on Saturday.

England are so desperate to convince themselves that Kane is the messiah. There are many reasons why he will never be regarded in the same class as Lineker and Shearer. A very good footballer for sure, he's too stupid to be a great. His intellectual retardation is quite painful to watch actually both on and particularly off the pitch.

I don't disagree with anything you've said but tbf I don't think he was even close to being fit.

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #9156 on: June 07, 2019, 12:35:16 PM »
England truly are the kings of the knee jerk reaction.  Their media were lambasting their players just three years ago after being beaten by Iceland and admitting that their team had sunk to an all time low, they simply did not have the required quality of players.  Fast forward a couple of years and after a couple of decent results they suddenly think they are up there with the best in the world.  Then after last night they couldn't help sticking the knife in saying they did not have the required quality when it comes to the big games, it's comical.

The goalkeeping debate also makes me laugh.  Pickford is one of the top three in the world one minute and a mainstay for the next ten years then they want someone else instead, the same happened with Hart and those before him.  It's like their media and fans just can't wait for someone to have a wobble so they can criticise them.

Reality is that their top club sides are brilliant but are massively lacking in English players and most of the English players in those sides are not even the best players in those club teams.  They have a couple of really good players in Kane and Sterling, beyond that they are destinctly average compared to the top sides in the world.  I can remember when they had to pick from Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright, Sheringham and Fowler up front.  Now after Kane they are petty much struggling to find another top striker.

Offline DantheDon

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 1
« Reply #9157 on: June 08, 2019, 06:04:08 AM »
Reality is that their top club sides are brilliant but are massively lacking in English players and most of the English players in those sides are not even the best players in those club teams.  They have a couple of really good players in Kane and Sterling, beyond that they are destinctly average compared to the top sides in the world.  I can remember when they had to pick from Shearer, Ferdinand, Wright, Sheringham and Fowler up front.  Now after Kane they are petty much struggling to find another top striker.

Yeh I thought, they were getting better in that regard but when you look at the Europa league line-up its pretty damning. Out of two English clubs they managed to start one English player! 

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #9158 on: June 08, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
Although we can't really criticise anyone....how many of our starting 11 will be Scots come August?

Online tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 37
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #9159 on: June 08, 2019, 10:56:55 AM »
Although we can't really criticise anyone....how many of our starting 11 will be Scots come August?

If that particular debate is to kick off again in both Europa league final squads there were a total of 11 UK players (10 english players and 1 welshman) out of a possible 45 (22%) of which 3 actually made it onto the park.

In the current Dons first team squad we have 18 UK players (11 Scots, 4 Englishmen, 2 welshmen, 1 Northern Irishman) and 3 non-uk (2 Irishmen and 1 Czech).

If for some bizarre reason Arsenal & chelsea decided to comment on the nationality make up of our squad I think we are pretty safe
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.