Author Topic: Films  (Read 203008 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 119
Re: Films
« Reply #1280 on: January 06, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
Speaking of films.. you cunts should take 8 minutes out of your day to watch Ricky Gervais' opening monologue from his hosting of the Golden Globes. Savage and unforgiving as the truth often is. A brilliant man.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -202
« Reply #1281 on: January 06, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »
Speaking of films.. you cunts should take 8 minutes out of your day to watch Ricky Gervais' opening monologue from his hosting of the Golden Globes. Savage and unforgiving as the truth often is. A brilliant man.

I just did. Thank you for the rec. Brilliant. Anyone in the audience offended by him is an arsehole. I doubt that many were but there would've been one or two. His irreverence is wonderful and he's been VERY funny in that role.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1282 on: January 06, 2020, 03:14:24 PM »
Any of you see The Irishman? I thought de Niro was outstanding but there was nothing Irish about him. Scorcese tried too hard to produce an epic and it failed in my opinion. Good entertainment and worth watching but not the classic they hoped it was. The Golden Globes gave it nothing.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 25
« Reply #1283 on: January 06, 2020, 04:47:37 PM »
 Interesting post count RS  :wave:

Was visiting my brother over Xmas,and we stuck on a random film called 'the siege of Jadotville'. Based on a true story about an Irish contingent of UN peace keepers left to fend for themselves in the wilds of the Congo.
    Great film if its anything like what they went through
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 06:24:37 PM by Elgindon »

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 119
« Reply #1284 on: January 07, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
Any of you see The Irishman? I thought de Niro was outstanding but there was nothing Irish about him. Scorcese tried too hard to produce an epic and it failed in my opinion. Good entertainment and worth watching but not the classic they hoped it was. The Golden Globes gave it nothing.

I watched it and the longer it went on the less interested I became. Overall I liked it but the ending was anti-climatic to put it politely.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1285 on: January 07, 2020, 12:49:12 PM »

I watched it and the longer it went on the less interested I became. Overall I liked it but the ending was anti-climatic to put it politely.

I thought the ending was deep, poignant and gave some meaning to an otherwise meaningless film.

Don't read this if you've not seen the film yet.

I thought it tried to show that crime doesn't pay and after a life of operating on the outside of the law, he was left broken and lonely. The personalisation and characterisation of gangsters was best done in the Sopranos to the extent that they all lived and breathed like real people, albeit in an underworld that the vast majority of us know exists but thankfully we don't experience directly. Despite one of the world's best actors and a massive budget, I don't think Scorsese got close to getting the audience to empathise with, far less love any of his characters in this film including de Niro. The director is yesterday's man and his final (surely?) "epic" or magnum opus was a failure.

Offline Goldie03

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 40
« Reply #1286 on: January 07, 2020, 10:03:17 PM »
Little Women and JoJo Rabbit are fabulous  :thumbsup:

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 77
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #1287 on: January 08, 2020, 07:27:15 PM »
Little Women and JoJo Rabbit are fabulous  :thumbsup:

I hadn't realised that JoJo Rabbit took so long to get released over there. Superb film!

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 38
  • Miserable CĂșnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #1288 on: January 08, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »
I hadn't realised that JoJo Rabbit took so long to get released over there. Superb film!

Not just there Manc. I watched in in Melbourne last sunday and it seems to be a new release in Oz.

To compensate for whatever reason the new Shaun the Sheep movie seems to be doing the rounds in Kiwiland 3months after it was in the UK Cinemas.

I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #1289 on: January 10, 2020, 12:20:52 AM »
Not just there Manc. I watched in in Melbourne last sunday and it seems to be a new release in Oz.

To compensate for whatever reason the new Shaun the Sheep movie seems to be doing the rounds in Kiwiland 3months after it was in the UK Cinemas.

Ha ha i'm surprised that wasn't out sooner.  Love a good sheep do the Kiwi's.

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 14
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #1290 on: January 15, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »
Saw the latest Terminator last night, absolutely shite. As bad as the rest of them ( Barring 1 & 2 of course )

Jojo Rabbit or Motherless Brooklyn for tonight
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #1291 on: January 16, 2020, 09:02:54 AM »
Saw the latest Terminator last night, absolutely shite. As bad as the rest of them ( Barring 1 & 2 of course )

Jojo Rabbit or Motherless Brooklyn for tonight

:thumbsup:

Been meaning to watch 2 popes, seems to have decent reviews.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1292 on: January 16, 2020, 09:43:38 AM »
:thumbsup:

Been meaning to watch 2 popes, seems to have decent reviews.

Two Popes is good. Watched it last week. Very enjoyable.