Author Topic: The Hills and Outdoors thread  (Read 47246 times)

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 78
  • Not a Jafa
Re: The Hills and Outdoors thread
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
That is a rare sight, Elgin! Good spot!

Offline Three Crazz

• First Team
  • Rating: 22
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »
That's fucking nuts. Who puts their bed in such a ridiculous position?

FFS and here's me thinking it was a picture of Michael Hutchins belt .

Not wanting to high-jack the thread, but this is what a friend of mine woke up to this morning.....

« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:14:01 PM by Three Crazz »
Asking nothing, leave me be. Taking everything in my stride. Don't need reason, don't need rhyme. Ain't nothing I'd rather do. Going down, party time My friends are gonna be there too.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 118
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2017, 10:40:12 AM »
Had a walk up Bennachie on Saturday. Lovely weather for it. It's been a few years since I did Bennachie and it was tougher than I remember. I guess it depends on what path you take.

Planning on doing Ben Nevis again at some point this summer. Nae really interested in yer sheer rock face, hard to climb types. I'll stick to the 3 out of 5 difficulty levels.  :wave:

There's a mahoosive snake at the "Pet's" Corner at Hazelhead park. It's got it's ain conservatory that it lives in. Huge. The size of thing that could eat people. Nae me like but normal sized people. Never seen one in the wild. And although I wouldn't say I have a fear of them I'd be happy if it stayed that way.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 25
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2017, 05:36:26 PM »

Re snakes - A high percentage of sightings seem to be on the hills around Ballater for some reason.Seen 3,and theyve all been around there,usually out in the sun curled up.

Bennachie -  Went up it from a busy car park near Pitcaple with my pal and 2 seven year olds.Found the path a bit rough/stony.Think theres a better path,and quieter route from the Oyne car park

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 118
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2017, 08:12:15 AM »
Re snakes - A high percentage of sightings seem to be on the hills around Ballater for some reason.Seen 3,and theyve all been around there,usually out in the sun curled up.

Bennachie -  Went up it from a busy car park near Pitcaple with my pal and 2 seven year olds.Found the path a bit rough/stony.Think theres a better path,and quieter route from the Oyne car park

If you take the Mither Tap route (I think it's called that?) it's steep and rocky in places. There is a more family friendly route for you younger eens as you say although I forget what that route is called.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2017, 06:31:05 PM »

A wee footnote - Oxen craig is actually the true Bennachie summit,which is a few hundred metres to the West of mither tap,and probably easier to get to from the Oyne car park.There is a path over from Mither tap too though 
   Therefore, lots of folks would need to re-do it if they want it as a 'bag'      ;)

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2017, 07:27:16 PM »
  Just back from Skye over the weekend.Had meant to do more than I did,but an unexpected fall of snow put paid to doing a few more hills.But,did manage to get up Bruach na Frithe,(probably the easiest of the Skye munros),and recommend its ascent if in the area,and the weather is good.The views are simply fantastic.
    There are 2 ways up,either by the standard tourist routes,or by following the West ridge up from Glen Brittle.The West ridge is the option I took as follows.

Bruach na Frithe -  Take the road from Sligachan on Skye round to Glen Brittle.As you drive down the Glen Brittle road,there is a car park at the first piece of forestry on your RHS.Park there,cross the road,and follow the path towards the hills,to where it splits in 2.The path on the right takes you to the fairy pools,but take the path to the left.
  The Bruach na Frithe ridge is seen left to right,between the paths, in the photo
IMG_0899 by , on Flickr

The path takes you past the trees on the left to the dip before the start of the ridge,where there is a cairn near a lochan where you turn right to start up the ridge

IMG_0904 by , on Flickr

Without giving the views away,and to give an idea of terrain,there is an initial scree slope...

IMG_0915 by , on Flickr

...and the below photo gives an idea of the worst bit of exposure(path up to the left).

IMG_0920 by , on Flickr

The rest is pretty straight forward if that looks bearable.There is a path that carries on beyond the lochan which takes you round to a more gentle ascent up the hill if not.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:39:14 PM by Elgindon »

Offline MálagaSheep

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 48
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »

Cracking views of the costa yesterday.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 04:54:21 PM »

Quality Malaga min..

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
 Just back from an overnighter up Deeside,wasnt as sunny as hoped.A hill called Carn na Drochaide is normally done from Allanaquoich,but I tried a route from Invercauld via Aultdourie and Creag a Chleirich,which gave some excellent views down Deeside and across to Lochnagar.

Carn na Drochaide 818m  Par at the Keiloch car park,Invercauld,between Ballater and Braemar.Follow the signs from the car park for 'Linn of Quoich and the Slugain'.There are 2 or 3 of these green metal signs en route,until you come to another split in tracks with a sign saying only 'Linn Of Quoich' to the left.Take this route.The other track goes up Glen Slugain,Follow the track round to the base of Creag A Chlerich/Carn na drochaide.Theres no proper path up from here,but the best views are a short distance above the tree line.Creag a Chlerich not far after,and the summit of Carn na Drochaide around an hour from the track.I walked,but the track from Invercauld to the base of the hill is easily cyclable,though a bit more gravelly further on.good views over to the 'gorms at the summit of Drochaide

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:04:22 AM by Elgindon »

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »
 Cul Beag,Assynt 769m

Any hill in this or the Torridon area gives great rewards if the weather is good.Only problem is some of them have a fairly long walk in.to avoid this most folk opt for Stac pollaidh,which is at the roadside.Down side to Stac,is that just before the summit,there is a tricky,exposed section which stops a lot of people carrying on to the summit,thereby blocking views out West
    Cul beag is a fine alternative,situated just before Stac pollaidh on the road round to Achiltibuie,and as good a viewpoint.The tourist route up is from the roadside,following a path(shown on OS map) along the base of the western side of Cul Beag,before a seperate path turns off and starts a very steep ascent to the summit.
   I avoided this by parking at the East end of Loch Lurgainn,and following a more gentle ascent to the summit

http://IMG_1702 by , on Flickr

Bit rough at the start,but dry.Kept to the Loch Lurgainn side all the way up

IMG_1701 by , on Flickr

IMG_1705 by , on Flickr

Turned rightish angles to get to the summit

IMG_1710 by , on Flickr

Timed it to watch a fine sunset go down beyond Stac Pollaidh and the Hebrides beyond.Took 1.5 hours up,and an hour down just before dark.Great hill

Stac Pollaidh about to erupt on the way down

IMG_1800 by , on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:01:02 PM by Elgindon »

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »
Speaking of Stac Pollaidh,took a group up of inexperienced walkers up yesterday.Managed up onto the ridge,but that was as far as they went,as most of the tourists do,but its very worth a wander to the far end,if not the summit.Some great views and rock formations along the way

Theres a dedicated car park at the foot of the hill,on the road round to Achiltiebuie from Ullapool.The path leads straight up the hill from the car park,giving you the choice of a West or East route further up.We chose the east route.

On the way up,summit to the far left

IMG_1988 by , on Flickr

Path winds round to the opp side,steeply,before getting onto the ridge

IMG_1951 by , on Flickr

Once onto the ridge there are various routes along to the summit.Its a case of trying one,come back down if its awkward and try another til you get as far as you are able.

IMG_1955 by , on Flickr

Unusual rock formations en route

IMG_1972 (2) by , on Flickr

The trickiest bit is just as you approach the summit,explained well in the later part of this report here http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8883

I took the above bypass option which looks a lot worse in that report than it was.

A great wee hill at only 600m with outstanding views and interest.An hour to the ridge(with non regular walkers),under an hour to the summit and back,and an hour down

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:04:28 PM by Elgindon »

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 05:13:48 PM »
Excellent pics mate!  :thumbsup:

Will try to start to contribute in a few months time  ;)

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »
 A fine time of year to be on the hills with the light waft of heather in bloom.Did these 2 on Saturday before the game,and made it a sunrise walk since I was up early anyway.Quite a few of the East Aberdeenshire hills have unobstructed views East and West,giving the option of a sunrise or sunset trip to enhance sometimes dour hills.
   But these 2,Lord Arthurs hill,and Coilliochbar hill were fine hills,with the bonus of being hame and showered in time for an afternoon nap at Pittodrie

Lord Arhturs hill - 518m  Headed for Tullynessie,past Bridge of Alford,and took a turn off West,to Dubston farm and parked at the end of the track.
     Walked past the buildings below,to the 3 or 4 deciduous trees just beyond,where the track splits in 2

IMG_2006 by , on Flickr

Route was via Fouchie shank - Lord Arthurs hill - Manabattock hill - return via deciduous trees to Dubston.
 Split in the grassy track at the deciduous trees below.Ahead for Fouchie shank,left,where you return via Manabattock hill

IMG_2073 by , on Flickr

Nice glen further on,good firm track/path underfoot

IMG_2017 by , on Flickr

Track continues,less firm, on beyond Lord Arthurs summit to Manabattock

IMG_2050 by , on Flickr

From Manabattock its a 15 min pathless descent through a field and woods,back to the deciduous trees and Dubston

Nice hill,1.5 hrs up/same down

Coilliochbar hill - 532m   Drove from there onto the road between Bridge of Alford and Lumsden,and took the turn off for Ardhuncart,parking just ahead at the steadings at Brux,where the old bridge crosses the Don.

IMG_2081 by , on Flickr

Crossed over the bridge and came to a split in the track,and took option to the right,through the buildings and along the edge of the Don.It appeared the track was going past where the summit area was,but eventually(canna mind,a good 1/2 an hour) came to a split where going left took you uphill

Fairly steep at times

IMG_2105 (2) by , on Flickr

Before easing off a bit further up,good going underfoot

IMG_2097 by , on Flickr

IMG_2099 by , on Flickr

This one had a bit more going for it.More variety en route,nice glimpses if the Don on return

IMG_2113 by , on Flickr

1.25 hrs up,1 hr down.Was taking a short cut,but hit a hasty retreat when I saw this  :o   

IMG_2107 by , on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 10:05:12 PM by Elgindon »

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
 Working along the North Deeside rd yesterday,so thought I'd have a pre work,dawn wander up Hill of Fare.Have never thought previously of walking up this one,looks a bit dour,and so it proved as I made my way up.
   Took the B9125 just after at Garlogie,and turned right at the McIntosh of Echt depot onto the B977 road to Echt.Parked at the second layby on the lhs where there is an agricultural gate leading into the woods.From there it was just a case of following the track to the first summit/mast

IMG_2153 by , on Flickr

Half an hour,I was on the summit.Pleasant surprise to see a film of mist below,and the sun about to rise directly above Aberdeen

IMG_2195 by , on Flickr

IMG_2175 by , on Flickr

IMG_2182 by , on Flickr

IMG_2216 by , on Flickr

The walk itself wont stick in the memory,but worth a sunrise wander for all the time,and with sunrise getting later.Should point out that the true summit is a fair bit further on to the West...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:51:14 PM by Elgindon »

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »

Latest offering - Beinn Eighe - Spidean Coire Nan Clach 993m

Did this one at the w/e.Beinn Eighe is quite a long horseshoe of a ridge which contains 2 Munroes.It can all be done in a day,but involves going in and out the same way with lots of ascent and descent.Lot of folk start at one end,with another car parked at the other end,or,do it in 2 stages,of which I did the first stage on sunday.
   Parked at the parking space beside the little bridge at Cromasaig,just outside Kinlochewe.A short walk(aim for the higher ground) through the trees takes you onto a track up the side of the Allt a Chuirn,and from there its just a case of following the track,and aim for the highest pointy top on the right of the below photo

IMG_2625 by , on Flickr

There are bits of scree to negotiate on the way up,but its not too hard to pick out grassy or rocky sections to walk on

At the pointy summit,looking at the route ahead

IMG_2595 by , on Flickr

The Munro is the second last summit in the photo.Terrain here is pretty straight forward apart from the second summit,where theres a bit of scrambling,though there are often bypass routes if you look hard enough for them.

Great hill though,took about 6.5 hours there and back.

A bit of snow on the tops   :confused:

IMG_2523 by , on Flickr

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »
 Buachaille Etive Beag 958m(brother of the more famous Buachaille Etive Mhor)

A fairly easy Munro in prime mountain country(Glencoe).Parked at a parking space on the main Glencoe road(A82) just beyond the start of the Lairig Eilde which goes through a pass to Glen Etive.
  Set off from Portlethen at 3am to catch the sunrise,and hung about on the other summit to catch the sunset.
Caught neither   8)

IMG_2887 by , on Flickr

IMG_2886 by , on Flickr

Good paths all the way up to the ridge

IMG_2882 by , on Flickr

IMG_2881 by , on Flickr

Onto the ridge at the first cairn looking towards the summit.Snavvy kine'

IMG_2837 by , on Flickr

The summit from the above photo looks a bit intimidating,but on closer inspection,there is often more width than expected

IMG_2856 by , on Flickr

Great views from the summit down loch Etive and the surrounding hills.Took about 3hrs up and down at a good pace

Sgurr Domnhuill(Beinn a Beithir) 1001m

Had time to add this one on after a lunch break.If youve ever headed down from Fort William to Ballachulish and noticed a fine looking mountain in front of you as you turn round  the road into Ballachulish.This is that mountain.Parked at the Chaolais car park beside the Ballachulish golf course on the Oban road.

There are markers at the start to guide you to the right hill

IMG_2913 by , on Flickr

IMG_2918 by , on Flickr

Path heads uphill quite sharply and becomes less distinct further up,and if you lose it,you only have to aim for the lowest point(bealach) to keep on the right track.

Scree slope on the way to the bealach,avoidable by ascending the grassy strips either side

IMG_2926 by , on Flickr

....before turning left towards the summit

IMG_2928 by , on Flickr

A bit stony as you approach the summit,but great views down loch Linnhe and Glencoe once you reach the summit(assuming its clear.....which it wasnt very)

IMG_2959 by , on Flickr

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:52:09 PM by Elgindon »

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
We did a blog on our travels so i've lifted a few of the photos we took along the way.  If you ever get the opportunity to do the Inka Trek, do it. unreal scenery and well worth the early wake ups!

Pisac, old inkan settlement with a large number of terraces still in tact.

Ollantaytambo

Another inkan terraced city.  This was made famous as one of the rebelling generals came from here and eventually married one of the Inkan daughters.  This town is where we spent the night before embarking on the trek early the next morning.

I'll go through a few of the photos during the actual trek now:

Walking up dead womans pass (approx 1.2km incline - mainly up steps). some farmers had set fire to burn some of the shrub away but as expected, it got out control so the local rangers had to try and put it out with rubber mats:

Cloud forest area

Local Llamas making their way back home after a day on the mountains.

Final inkan site before our last camp site and Machu Picchu the next morning

view from sun gate which you arrive at about 6:30 am. Annoyingly, the gates all open at 5:30am so that allows the non trekkers to get there by bus and so it was pretty busy by the time we got there.

There's a lot to be said for their architecture.  Nothing has fallen down due to earthquakes etc...whereas the colonial stuff has.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2017, 04:25:07 PM »
 Awesome min Manc,amazing place,great pics :thumbsup:  Added to the bucket list

Had an excellent day up Buachaille Etive Mhor the other day..

IMG_3153 by , on Flickr

IMG_3140 (2) by , on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:05:26 PM by Elgindon »

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Not a Jafa
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2018, 09:52:40 PM »
Spent a few days up at Lake Taupo and National Park around New Year. Awesome area, which I've been to before, but the other side of the lake.  Some epic walks which we will be doing over the next few months.  Weather unfortunately stopped us doing the Tongariro Crossing, so did a couple of walks in and around the area:

Pukake Bay:

Taranaki Falls - National Park:

Taranaki Falls walk:

Area reminds me a lot of the Cairngorms, minus the volcano when you can actually see it.