Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Who or what changed Football?

As the tittle says

Nowadays i only watch the Dons, no time for the money rich football on TV or any interest in whats going on in the world of Football, as to me everything that does go on is not for the true fans of the club. To me its for the tourists of the world, ( meaning the so called top leagues in europe)

Was it a player, a club, a manager, an organisation, that thought lets cash in!

Was it George Best that brought the glitz and glamour attention

Was it Maradona, after the world cup

Was it Gazza and his move to Italy

Was it Sir Alex Ferguson after his domination in the dug out

Corrupt FIFA and Sky jus deciding right lets Cash in in the world of football

This is just examples am using! Dont go off on one!

Today, nowadays players are like hollywood film stars, and average joe players are getting paid ridiculous money, when i watch a world cup or a european championship,or any finals my thoughts are, why is everything so Americanised, over the top shite!?

I know we have to move with the times, but in my opinion football has moved to much and the wrong way!

Personally i get more enjoyment watching kids football at all ages on a weekend!

Would like to hear your thoughts?

Sky

Before Sky English top flight fitba was played in shite stadiums in front of poor crowds and had just finished a ban from European games

After Sky Englands top clubs run the European game.

Sky created and funded the EPL to sell TV subscriptions.

If you are a businessman you have to admire Sky's work. If you are a football fan you have to despair.

I think football just followed the way the rest of the West moved over the last thirty years. If anything, they were a little behind. Everything has drifted towards monopoly, as that's the way the world is designed. Fitba is no different to music (ruined by style over substance), films (endless re-makes and easy plots), food (dominos pizzas, Macdonalds and the chain restaurant), buildings (mass produced shite houses, glass boxes), clothes (next, top-shop cheap latino/bangladesh etc workers providing shite quality pish) and so on.

Fitba perfectly mirrors the society we live in. Whether it be just looking at Scottish fitba, or European fitba, the glaringly obvious problems are there for all to see, but are ignored.

But we're in the cup final, so who gives a fuck?

Fact of life I'm afraid. Technology evolves, peoples demands change and the product changes with it.

However...I did read an interesting article just yesterday

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/24/sky-sports-bt-sport-people-switching-football-off

just saw this one as well which I'm away to read

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/26/football-fans-stream-sky-bt-sport-live-viewers

Some interesting reading there CvB.  Do you think they are finally clicking on?  From the amount of people I know who have or are in the process of ditching sky, you would think they should be.

They will probably just throw more money at the problem and hope it sorts itself out.  They need to get the balance of games that are shown on TV and the games that are left alone, something they haven't been managing for several years now.

The article mentions the possibility of pick and choosing the games that you watch i.e just paying yo watch your teams games.  I hope this idea doesn't gain any momentum, as gate numbers are struggling already.

i still have sky, but that's only because we ditched it and then 2 months later they practically gave it to us for next to nothing....anyway, I digress.

The number of games I watch now are getting fewer and fewer. EPL cup or whatever it'd called...no point, weakened teams being forced to play games they don't want to play.

Champions League pish, not very often. Will check the scores at some point and maybe a particular game will pique my interest.

Scottish games, refuse to watch either of the cheeks....unless they're getting gubbed, which limits my SPFL exposure.

Absolute saturation point and a lot of folk clearly starting to feel the same.

I don't watch much EPL these days tbh, don't watch much SPL either, unless we are on. I tend to watch "lesser" games these days. BBC Alba games on a Saturday are worth a watch, just to laugh at the PJM's if nothing else, lower league English football, to see if u can spot a gem for Deek ?.

I must admit I quite like watching Bundesliga, always great atmosphere at games.

I would love to be able to go to Dons games as regular as I used to, but kids "activities" on Saturday mornings have seen to that. Oban is 2.5 hrs from any SPL ground apart from McDairmid, so tend to watch most games via PC when available.

Money ... the root of all evil. Clubs used to be run by fans who would die for their club but now they are run by rich, selfish arrogant businessmen who think nothing of trampling the humble football supporter to make a quick buck. Developing technology makes this easier and short of a worldwide power failure irreversible.