Author Topic: Managers in England  (Read 125159 times)

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 17
Re: Managers in England
« Reply #1140 on: May 13, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »
Chris Hughton sacked by Brighton after keeping them up for 2nd season in a row.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 04:03:57 PM by Jute »

Online KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 12
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #1141 on: May 13, 2019, 01:13:49 PM »
I see a lot of outrage regarding the Hughton sacking, but hasn't he spent 70+ million? Finishing 17th. I appreciate that the EPL is obviously more difficult, but they were almost relegated and when you see he's spent a decent chunk more than several clubs that finished above them, added to the dire Football apparently on show, it kind of makes sense.

Maybe they feel they can attract a manager that puts a better squad together for the money they have available to spend, but I am not sure what they expect, I very much doubt they'd qualify for Europe or that, so is a Mid Table the best they can hope for? The prize money becomes rather different the higher you finish, naturally, so maybe that is their thinking? Who knows.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 32
« Reply #1142 on: May 13, 2019, 03:29:51 PM »
Brighton should be on their knees thanking Hughton for keeping them in the EPL. I'm not sure what exactly they expect of him but any manager doing as he has done deserves another season. Even spending £70 million (and putting it into perspective, clubs in the top 6 will spend that on a single player)……..Norwich and Sheffield United will spend at least that much this summer and if they finish 17th next season will consider every penny of it well spent. 

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #1143 on: May 17, 2019, 11:07:42 PM »
Tony Pulis sacked by Middlesbrough following them not making the play offs. Had them playing some awful football as well.

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #1144 on: May 21, 2019, 12:17:21 AM »
Graham Potter appointed as Brighton manager.

Offline kiriakovisthenewstrachan

• First Team
  • Rating: 9
« Reply #1145 on: June 24, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »
So Benitez leaving Newcastle, Stevie G high up on the bookies list of potential replacements  :o

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
  • Rating: 204
« Reply #1146 on: June 24, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »
So Benitez leaving Newcastle, Stevie G high up on the bookies list of potential replacements  :o

He is also wanted by Derby County to replace Chelsea bound Lampard.
Allegedly to be offered £2.5m basic and £8 million bonus if he leads then in Premier League

Don't know about the rest of you, but think I'd damn near pish my pants if he walked out on them pre season  :thumbsup:
Steve warm his seat up

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -57
« Reply #1147 on: June 24, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
Especially after he’s spent the summer buying shite.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #1148 on: June 24, 2019, 02:31:28 PM »
Especially after he’s spent the summer buying shite.

:thumbsup:
Steve warm his seat up

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #1149 on: June 24, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
At first glance it would be faf if Slippy were indeed to fuck off to Derby (or Newcastle).

However sevco would then be due a whack of compo from whatever team he went to and the law of averages says that they must hit upon a fairly competent manager sooner or later. So on balance I'd rather he stays on. They'll fire him if he goes another full season without a trophy (and maybe fairly quickly if they are a good few points behind Celtic at the halfway stage, possibly not even in second position in the league). At that point sevco become liable for Slippy's remaining salary plus needing to fund a replacement (with Celtic one title away from 10IAR they'd be desperate and likely go over what they can afford getting in a big name with a decentish reputation.....my bet would be Sam Allardyce who looks finished down south)

Offline tlg1903

• Captain
  • Rating: 51
« Reply #1150 on: June 25, 2019, 11:26:50 PM »
I would agree with that TC.  I said when he got the job that I suspected he would last 18 months. Not even a cup final last season and nothing special on the park, ultimately the next few months are massive for Gerrard.  If they get papped out of Europe and don't make the league Cup final he will be under huge pressure, that could only be mitigated by being top of the league.  Not impossible by any stretch, the tims have a big rebuild to do  (expecially in defence) but have a much bigger budget to do so and Lennon knows what he is doing.  Being binned by Xmas is very possible in other words if you ask me. 
Decided to start a football blog, feel free to have a read here.

http://foxintheboxon.blogspot.co.uk/?view=flipcard

Offline dons8321

• Under 21's
  • Rating: -9
« Reply #1151 on: June 28, 2019, 06:54:58 PM »
O'Neill sacked by Forest who've already appointed a new manager.

Offline BigAl

• SAGA Subscriber
  • Administrator
« Reply #1152 on: June 28, 2019, 08:13:42 PM »
O'Neill sacked by Forest who've already appointed a new manager.

End of the road for O'Neill I reckon
Certainly only going to get a League 1/2 club at best

Steve warm his seat up

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #1153 on: June 28, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »
End of the road for O'Neill I reckon
Certainly only going to get a League 1/2 club at best

Hmmm. Lennon has just spent £8million on a new centre back and still needs another 6 or 7 players minimum to replace those that left. With that kind of spending power they should blow us and sevco away. If they somehow manage to be less than 3 points clear of the pack come January then I could envisage Celtic binning Lennon and bringing in O'Neill to guide them towards 9 and 10IAR

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
« Reply #1154 on: August 17, 2019, 09:56:17 AM »
3 games into the Championship season in England and we have the first managerial casualty of the season with Huddersfield sacking Jan Siewert after only 7 months in charge. Only one win in 7 months but given they were in free fall before when he took over does seem a bit quick.

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 37
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #1155 on: August 17, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
Sol Campbell left Macclesfield during the week after 10months in charge. Seems they are in the shit financially with players threatening boycotts over unpaid wages and ex players now applying for a winding up order to get their money.
I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

Offline Ten Caat

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #1156 on: August 17, 2019, 12:15:16 PM »
There will come a day, hopefully soon, when the financial problems now affecting quite a number of lower league English clubs starts to hit the big ones too. I'd crack open a bottle of champagne if Man City or Chelsea went down the gurgler.

Obviously I hope sevco beat any of them to it though