Author Topic: Films  (Read 147265 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 117
Re: Films
« Reply #1240 on: February 26, 2019, 11:57:25 AM »
Apologies. The fact that I typed it like a mong won't have helped. I meant: Or* were you stating that in agreement [with the decision to award Best Picture to another film]?

I was struggling to remember where/how I discovered the Baku performance. Could it have been posted on this forum by yourself? I think that was the performance that made me sit up and take notice. I'd like to see her live but her ostentatious showmanship would be a bit much for my personal taste. I do admire her creativity and I'm not saying it wouldn't be a hell of a show. Just unsure how much I would get out of it.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1241 on: February 27, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »
What I found hilarious was that it won best sound editing too, it was horrific?!? Drum beats and music completely out of sync.

Offline hebrew

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 40
« Reply #1242 on: March 02, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
Boy Erased is very good, another true story and worth a watch.
Finally got round to seeing Green Book, easy watching but for me not really a best picture winner!
Aragon has left himself go  :P

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 12
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #1243 on: March 02, 2019, 06:12:37 PM »
Boy Erased is very good, another true story and worth a watch.
Finally got round to seeing Green Book, easy watching but for me not really a best picture winner!
Aragon has left himself go  :P

I enjoyed it also, but haven't seen the competition it was up against, so can't comment on Oscars. Viggo Mortensen is a joy to watch though, if you haven't seen The Indian Runner, I highly recommend it, he's absolutely brilliant in that.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 37
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #1244 on: March 04, 2019, 07:57:26 PM »
Thouroughly enjoyed 'Fighting with my family'

Stephen Merchant did a good job promoting it on 'the last leg' last friday as I believe it is No.1 at the UK Box office

I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #1245 on: March 15, 2019, 03:47:10 PM »
Green Book - excellent. Much better than I expected.
Instant Family - Very good. Also better than I expected.

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1246 on: March 15, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
Holmes & Watson.

Will Ferrell & John C Reilly back together, and whilst there are some decent laughs, it's a truly awful film, surprised I watched it until the end to be honest.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1247 on: March 29, 2019, 11:33:21 PM »
Watched Captain Marvel last night.  Enjoyable film.  I think my one criticism was that they should have had someone other than an attractive blonde white american playing the role.  I get that's what the character was based on, but how about moving with the times?

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -162
« Reply #1248 on: March 30, 2019, 08:58:04 AM »
Watched Captain Marvel last night.  Enjoyable film.  I think my one criticism was that they should have had someone other than an attractive blonde white american playing the role.  I get that's what the character was based on, but how about moving with the times?

Are the Aryan race and people with blond hair to be marginalised now, like the heterosexual white man has been? Is that what "moving with the times" means?
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
« Reply #1249 on: March 30, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »

Would you prefer they skipped to the later incarnations where Captain Marvel is a bloke?

21 (YES TWENTY FUCKING ONE) year old Cosgrove to show what he can do when he is finally given a real chance.

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1250 on: April 07, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
Watched Ghost Stories last night, it's on Netflix, I love the Horror Genre, and it takes a fair bit to spook me, but I thought that did the job, wasn't over bearing in terms of jump scares or that, just bubbled along nicely then boom! Shat myself numerous times. Absolutely recommend it.

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1251 on: May 06, 2019, 05:21:44 PM »
Watched Tarantino's " The Hateful Eight " last night, very mixed on it, was his usual twist and storytelling, but lacked something that I can't quite put my finger on. Wouldn't watch it again and can't honestly say that I would recommend it. 5/10

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #1252 on: May 07, 2019, 02:33:31 PM »
Watched Tarantino's " The Hateful Eight " last night, very mixed on it, was his usual twist and storytelling, but lacked something that I can't quite put my finger on. Wouldn't watch it again and can't honestly say that I would recommend it. 5/10

I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I'm not a fan of long films! Tarantino's ability to grip you was dialogue (as opposed to non stop action) is prevalent here. And the sound track was superb.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1253 on: May 07, 2019, 03:08:19 PM »

I won't be re-watching it either. His poorest film by some distance.

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1254 on: May 07, 2019, 04:19:20 PM »
I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I'm not a fan of long films! Tarantino's ability to grip you was dialogue (as opposed to non stop action) is prevalent here. And the sound track was superb.

The scene where Tim Roth and Walton Goggins are perplexed at the thought of Samuel L Jackson's character having a letter from Lincoln was absolutely brilliant, as was Jennifer Jason Leigh in general, but it never captured my imagination nor kept me hooked, as I felt it lacked something. I am a fan of his stuff, my favourite film ever is True Romance, which he wrote, but Tony Scott directed. Agree with the Soundtrack, thoroughly enjoyed that also.

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1255 on: May 07, 2019, 04:22:30 PM »
I won't be re-watching it either. His poorest film by some distance.

I didn't enjoy the Kill Bill films to be honest, I'd say they were his poorest, but this wasn't far behind, some excellent dialogue aside, it never did it for me.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1256 on: May 07, 2019, 07:10:32 PM »
I enjoyed the Kill Bills, despite some preposterous plot lines, the sword fighting aerobics being beyond a joke.

Pulp Fiction is the greatest film of all time for me. Django is excellent but Jackie Brown is hugely underrated. Those three are his best but Reservoir Dogs and particularly Madchen being stuck in the middle with him was part of an epic ending.

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1257 on: May 08, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »
I enjoyed the Kill Bills, despite some preposterous plot lines, the sword fighting aerobics being beyond a joke.

Pulp Fiction is the greatest film of all time for me. Django is excellent but Jackie Brown is hugely underrated. Those three are his best but Reservoir Dogs and particularly Madchen being stuck in the middle with him was part of an epic ending.

Don't think I have seen Jackie Brown, but I'll look it out for sure.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1258 on: June 02, 2019, 10:48:19 PM »
Atomic girl, good film, and I've always fancied saffa Charlize theron, but christ, she can't do accents.

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
« Reply #1259 on: August 18, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »

Looks like a laugh. Talk of Disney 'having issues' with it being released given it was made by Fox (now owned by the mouse)