Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New Contract For Maybury?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dons fears over Maybury deal

defender still to make up mind about aberdeen contract as he thinks over english offers

By Paul Third

Published: 03/06/2008

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood fears the worst as protracted talks aimed at keeping Alan Maybury at Pittodrie show no sign of solution.

The former Hearts and Leicester City defender has been offered a two-year contract by Calderwood following an impressive five-month spell with the club. But with interest from clubs in England, the Dons manager may be unable to keep the player.

He said: “The problem is getting in touch with Alan’s agent (Nick Mandic). He spends his time between Australia and Europe and he is in Australia now.

“We have been told Alan has a couple of offers on the table from other clubs and we will get an answer in around 10 days. The longer it goes the more worried you become.

“I always felt we had a chance of keeping Lee Miller at the club as time wore on, but I really have no idea what Alan will decide.

“He enjoyed his time here and we want to keep him, but, financially, a move to England will prove attractive to him.â€

Championship club Plymouth Argyle’s manager Paul Sturrock insists Maybury is not a target as he prepares for his first full season in charge of the Devon club.

He said: “I don’t normally comment on speculation, but I just want to draw a line under this particular rumour.

“Alan Maybury will not be a Plymouth Argyle player next season. He is not on my radar and never has been.â€

While one player ponders a move to England, another Don will not be leaving as Calderwood has dismissed reports linking Coventry City with a move for young forward Chris Maguire.

Calderwood said: “It is the mad season as far as speculation about players is concerned and if half of the reports surrounding the club were true I would be impressed.

“It is great for the lad to be linked with moves to the Championship, but he is not going anywhere anytime soon.

“Chris knows what we think of him at the club and he is doing very well, but he still has a lot to learn.

“We haven’t really given him a regular run in his preferred position up front, but he was outstanding with Lee Miller against Hibs at Easter Road.

“He needs to get himself stronger and fitter, but he has a chance in the game as he has unbelievable ability.

“There is a lot of expectation on his shoulders, but he is still a teenager and the consistency will come.

“Like the rest of the players, he has gone away with the running schedule to follow for the close season.

“If he does that and comes back ready to push on next season, he could have a very good year.â€

We go through this fucking pantomime with so many players.  Are the dons such a feckin unatractive club that everyone has to treat us as a last resort?  I'm longing for a player to stand up and say he's commiting his future to Aberdeen because he loves the club, the fans, and wants to win some silverware.

It's getting embarrassing.

Alternatively, the club could actually offer a contract, give the player a week to decide, and whip it off the table if no answer is forthcoming.

Cutting nose off to spite face perhaps, but I'm fairly sick of seeing AFC bend over backwards in their attempts to keep middle-of-the-road players.

I'm longing for a player to stand up and say he's commiting his future to Aberdeen because he loves the club, the fans, and wants to win some silverware.

Stuart Duff? Darren Mackie?

Unfortunately, the type of player who will be able to take us up a notch is unlikely to be an Aberdeen fan.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football-news/scottish-football/spl-football/aberdeen-fc/2008/06/10/al-to-snub-dons-deal-86908-20602092/

ALAN MAYBURY dealt Aberdeen a fresh blow last night after admitting he wants to return to England.

The full-back has been offered a two-year deal by the Dons, who abandoned their move for Southend striker Richie Foran at the weekend.

But Maybury said: "I'd prefer to return to England but we'll wait and see what happens.

"My agent has been speaking to other clubs and it's a bit of a waiting game at the moment. But I hope to sort things out in the next 10 days."

That and the fact he already has a house etc in England, why would you want to sign for Aberdeen at the moment?

It's the only firm offer he has (as far as we know), he has an opportunity of European football (no, seriously, don't laugh), stability for at least a couple of years, he doesn't actually have a job at present......

....but of course, Rochdale offers a great challenge!

Guest ally s

"I'd prefer to return to England" = "Fuck the stability and first-team slot which I've found up here; I want more cash."

Professional footballer whores himself to the highest bidder - quelle surprise.

I agree 100%.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

That and the fact he already has a house etc in England, why would you want to sign for Aberdeen at the moment?

What guarantee does he have he'll get a club anywhere near his house down south? Moving down there will probably mean buying or renting another place anyway -  I'm sure that on his wages, the poor lamb can scrape together enough loose change to afford another place or even rent one.

Why would he want to sign for Aberdeen? Regular starting berth, chance of winning a cup, chance of European football, wages above and beyond anything most folk can dream of, regular TV exposure. How many of those would be available if he gets a move to a League 1 or League 2 club?

This boils down purely and simply to cash, as per usual.

YET ANOTHER WHORE

If another company were offering me better wages i would jump at it in a second, i think most of the people on here would always be looking for more money!

Yes but if you were going to be treated poorly at this other company you might think twice. It's not just about money. It's about how valued you feel and how you fit into the job.

Yes but if you were going to be treated poorly at this other company you might think twice. It's not just about money. It's about how valued you feel and how you fit into the job.

Good point! But how welcome have we made maybury feel - waiting until the end of his loan to give him a deal, plus he was pretty much last in line to get offered a deal.

After the first 6 or 7 games we knew this guy was a good player, available on free we should have been trying to sign him then, not when hes in the shop window!

I just don't get why football fans seem to think that a player who has no ties to their team should stick around when someone else they have no ties to, offers them a better deal.

Anyone out there in cyber space not left their job for a better deal elsewhere?

I don't for a second blame someone for wanting more money.

What I object to is the fact that so many footballers now sacrifice everything else at the altar of finances.

Job security? Fuck it.

Nice place to live? Fuck it.

Potential for genuine achievements? Fuck it.

Quality of life? Fuck it.

SHOW ME THE FUCKING MONEY

Let's face it, Maybury is hardly going to be living on slave wages if he signs on up here. Any idea that he's somehow going to be hard done by financially if he plays for us next year is just insane.

Potential for genuine achievements? Fuck it.

Unless you sign for the top 2 or 3 teams in your league then chances are you're not going to achieve very much.  We had a great season in comparison to the past 10 years but we still achieved fuck all really.

The difference being he doesn't have another offer yet.

Maybe he does and maybe he doesn't.  The fact he's came out and said it won't put AFC off of signing him but it has got his name in the paper and advertised himself in the process.

It's not any different to what Nicolson has done.