Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New Contract For Maybury?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We should only keep him if we can get him on a low contract - which probably wont happen.

I think he is half the player Hart was. Far too often he is posted missing when he should be marking someone.

Unfortunately, not sure we will get anyone better due to the fact we will be signing so many new players. I bet Duff starts as RB next season!  :

I think the same, he's a good player, but doesn't read the game nearly as well as Hart.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bloo_toon_red

I agree with both of the above posts and I wouldn't make him an astronomical offer.

Better going forward, but defensively not as good as Hart.  Has been responsible for a fair few instances of slack marking leading to goals.

Guest bloo_toon_red

He's a good player who improved the standard.

Do you really think so?

His arrival has coincided with us shipping copious amounts of soft goals, a fair few of which he has been directly responsible for.

I think Maybury-type full-backs are ten a penny.  And I'm disappointed because I remembered he was a better player when he was with Hearts.

Do you really think so?

His arrival has coincided with us shipping copious amounts of soft goals, a fair few of which he has been directly responsible for.

I think Maybury-type full-backs are ten a penny.  And I'm disappointed because I remembered he was a better player when he was with Hearts.

Yes I do.

And no we didn't suddenly ship copious amounts of goals when he arrived, we were dab hands at it before he arrived.

Guest bloo_toon_red

Yes I do.

And no we didn't suddenly ship copious amounts of goals when he arrived, we were dab hands at it before he arrived.

Well we'll need to agree to disagree as the last few months have seen the worst spell for shipping soft goals since JC took over.  The statistics kind of speak for themselves.  And I don't remember much pointing the finger at Hart for not tracking his man, especially at set-pieces.  It goes to show just how much of an influence Hart was on the back line.

Well we'll need to agree to disagree as the last few months have seen the worst spell for shipping soft goals since JC took over.  The statistics kind of speak for themselves.  And I don't remember much pointing the finger at Hart for not tracking his man, especially at set-pieces.  It goes to show just how much of an influence Hart was on the back line.

With Hart gone he improved the team. Hart is the superior player though and admittedly by a wee distance.

I agree that if his wage demands are silly ie in the top bracket of earners, then definitely  :wave: but I would like him kept.

ALAN Maybury will not hold Aberdeen to ransom and will put his family first before finance.

Dons boss is Jimmy Calderwood is keen to sign the on loan Leicester City right back on a long-term deal.

The Republic of Ireland cap is out of contract with the Foxes in the close season.

But Calderwood fears he could be priced out of a move for the former Leeds United man.

However, Maybury insists football and not a big money deal is top of his agenda.

“When I came to Aberdeen all I wanted was to play regular football and that remains the case,†said Maybury.

“My family are really settled in Aberdeen. We love it here.

“As a player I still have a lot more to offer to Aberdeen and would be willing to stay next season.

“I have had a chat with Jimmy Calderwood and he seems to be happy with the way things have gone.

“Aberdeen will have to replace players who are leaving in the summer so I realise any development with me could come down to finance.

“However, I spent 18 months before coming to Aberdeen without any real stability in my career.

“Having stability and a regular game is an important factor in my thoughts.â€

With the Dons eight points behind third placed Motherwell, Maybury admits a return to Europe would take a minor miracle.

Yet he will not give up the fight for a UEFA Cup spot which starts against Hibs at Pittodrie today.

He added: “Reaching third will be extremely difficult but there is no way we will give up on that until it is impossible.

“The season is far from over and I can assure the fans we will be fighting for points in the remaining games.

“In some ways the pressure is off us a little because we cannot finish lower than our league position now.

“But that does not mean we are on holiday. The players realise there is still a lot of hard work to be done.

“If we can beat the teams around us in the hunt for third place you never know what can happen.

“We want to go get wins to finish the season on a high.â€

Former Dons striker Mixu Paatelainen returns to Pittodrie as manager of Hibs for the first time today.

And Maybury expects them to go no the attack.

“Mixu has said that he will play the same away from home as they do at Easter Road which is refreshing to hear,†he said.

“We played them earlier in the season and lost 3-1.

“Hibs seemed to kick on from that whereas our form went up and down.

“It will be tough but we need to get a win.â€

• 5 weeks later...
Plymouth Argyle boss Paul Sturrock is keeping tabs on former Leicester City defender Alan Maybury.

The 29-year old right-back is a free agent after being released by the Foxes at the end of the season.

The Republic of Ireland international joined Scottish Premier League side Aberdeen on-loan in January, making 19 appearances but has since become a free agent after failing to win a new contract at the Walkers Stadium.

Aberdeen are favourites to sign Maybury in a permanent deal but sources in Scotland indicate that Sturrock is monitoring the situation and could make a move for the versatile defender.

Maybury started his career at Leeds United, playing in the Premier League and European Cup for the Elland Road outfit. After loan spells at Reading and Crewe Alexandra, Maybury moved to Hearts in 2001 in a £100,000 transfer making 134 appearances before moving to Leicester in 2005.

Maybury, who can also operate at left-back and in midfield, was a regular for Leicester in the Championship but was placed on the transfer list last summer by then manager Martin Allen.

Sturrock is in the market for a right-back following the departure of Paul Connolly and has already been linked with a move for Swindon Town's Miguel Comminges.

Alan, we want you to sign for us. Here's a contract offer. We really need to plan for next season, and need to know whether you're wanting to stay.

Please let us know pretty quickly, and within 24 hours, if you aren't in a position to give us a decision, please indicate when you will tell us.

As you can see, the contract offer expires on Friday. Thanks.

Lee, we want you to sign for us. Here's a contract offer. We really need to plan for next season, and need to know whether you're wanting to stay.

Please let us know pretty quickly, and within 24 hours, if you aren't in a position to give us a decision, please indicate when you will tell us.

As you can see, the contract offer expires on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday Tuesday. Thanks.

Alan, we want you to sign for us. Here's a contract offer. We really need to plan for next season, and need to know whether you're wanting to stay.

As you can see, the contract offer expires on Friday. Thanks.

I was actually speaking to him on sat in Edinburgh  he spoke to JC on fri and his agent was going to speak to WM next wk. He also said nothing will be done quickly and he in no rush. He is away on holiday as well.

I was actually speaking to him on sat in Edinburgh  he spoke to JC on fri and his agent was going to speak to WM next wk. He also said nothing will be done quickly and he in no rush. He is away on holiday as well.

I think in reality that is a lot more encouraging than it reads.

Thanks for the revealing insight, and totally unsurprising unfortunatley, but him being in no rush is one thing, where is the club's urgency to manage its affairs?

Delays, especially unnecessary delays like the one that WM and JC have allowed to happen, increases the totally expected likelihood of other clubs, clubs that are already thinking about next season, like Plymouth for example, coming in for him. Even if we did get him to sign, the chances are that the other interested clubs have cost us an extra £25,000 minimum, by his having other offers on the table.

What the fuck does Miller do to justify his six figure salary? Is he on holiday for 2 months? On holiday in his head? Or is he permanently out to lunch?

EDIT: The Hull City manager, interviewed just now, revealed that they had a club meeting this morning, despite the sore heads from the celebrations last night.

The objective of the meeting was to plan for next year. This is what professional people do. Manage time properly, and plan ahead. Miller, Milne - take a hike.

It is all very well to slate the efforts of Miller et al in contract negotiations but who's to say our best deal hasn't already been offered to Maybury and he's just keeping his options open?

The way i took it from sat was both the club and Player was quite happy to wait til end of season before talking contracts. Also think the way it came across is he is keeping his options open.

Given the shambolic nature of previous negotiations, and their grossly incompetent PR skills, and the average quality of player on the pitch for over 10 years now, I would be more inclined to think that the people in charge of "football affairs", as our chairman calls it, are continuing to be true to form.

Even if they had made an offer, what is this, primary school negotiations? What, throw out a figure, in writing even, to see if the buyer's going to bite? Negotiation is what it's about, not making offers for the buyer to use as leverage. Then again, Miller's business track record is out there, and he's been left on his own by Milne.

Gordon Smith's interview before the Cup final with Richard Gordon was another overwhelming illustration of a football man way out of his depth.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/667864

Pilgrims out of race for Maybury

ABERDEEN were today handed a huge boost in their bid to keep Alan Maybury at Pittodrie after Plymouth Argyle rubbished reports linking them with the defender.

Pilgrims boss Paul Sturrock has slammed speculation he’s trailing the Republic of Ireland cap, which means the Dons are now in pole position to re-sign the right back.

Jimmy Calderwood is desperate to keep Maybury, now a free agent, who impressed on loan after joining from Leicester City.

But Sturrock, who is still keen on making Russell Anderson’s move to Home Park permanent after his loan from Sunderland, isn’t in the frame for Maybury.

“I don’t normally comment on speculation but I just want to draw a line under this particular rumour,†said Sturrock.

“Alan Maybury will not be a Plymouth player next season.

“He is not on my radar and he never has been.â€