Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Ross County v Robson's Reds

Under Barry Robson, Aberdeen have only conceded from open play against Celtic and St Mirren.

Other than that, it's six games with four clean sheets and two penalties.

And yet, if you look at the league table, we still have the third highest goals against (we were joint second worst until we beat Kilmarnock). Despite the recent good run, the legacy of Jim Goodwin remains and that goal difference may yet be the difference between third and fourth because after County it's six games left against top six opposition, with 50% of them against the Old Firm. It's going to be hard to claw back those six goals on Hearts (we're -3, they're +3).

That makes County an absolute must-win. A draw, and then a Hearts win the next day, it's advantage right back to Gorgie and who knows what effect sacking Robbie Neilson will have on them.

Shinnie likely comes back in for Duncan, can't see any other changes. Aberdeen end already sold out, Friday night under the lights. Not gonna lie, I'm nervous for it, but I've not had the butterflies for a Dons game for a while which shows we've finally got something worth hanging on to.

• Like 1

Goal difference is normally a good predictor of where teams will finish in the league. If there's a large disparity such as this six goal difference then it usually suggests that a team's form across the entire season is much better (in this case hearts), and that they're just experiencing a dip in form which will iron out over the year. However, included in our -3 we have those two games in Edinburgh that gave a combined total of -11, which are anomalies that are probably at least 6 goals greater than would have happened if the players hadn't downed tools. I still think that three wins will be enough, and if we get that I don't think hearts will get three wins and two draws in order for goal difference to come in to play. County is vital to those three wins though, as we'll only have three home games left and probably only one against a diddy team. Given our away form, there's no better opportunity to get one of the wins we need.

Shinnie back in for Duncan, and the rest the same.

Think this is one we have to win to have any chance of third. If we can win this we will be 5 points clear of Hearts before they play Hibs. That will put them under even more pressure. Agree with Panda and Rico that as long as everyone is fit Shinnie in for Duncan will probably be the only change. Change to a Friday night is costing me a fortune. Had booked trains for original date so have now had to book another train up for the Friday morning and a hotel in Inverness on top. Original train back on the Saturday so day in Inverness to kill. Will be pub all day with Clach v Brechin as a break. County will be looking to add to the points they have taken off us this season to ease relegation worries so will be no pushovers.

In

Train up then beers in Inverness and Dingwall

Away end

Beers then train back to Inverness and more beers.

1-0 Miovski

No debate in my eyes, this game is absolutely massive for us.

Win on Friday evening and we potentially put ourselves in a strong position

On Saturday there is the Edinburgh derby which neither team can afford to lose if we have already banked three points. The other potential contenders play The Huns and much as it makes me feel extremely dirty wishing this, it has to be three points for Der Hun. If Huns win and Hibs beat Hearts, with six games remaining we go five clear of Heart, six clear of St Mirren and seven ahead of Hibs. Eight points from our remaining eighteen to play for pretty much guarantees us third and the pot of gold that sits at the end of the rainbow.

Out

Work

Red TV

Nothing much

1-2 (Duk & Miovski)

16 minutes ago, BigAl said:

If Huns win and Hibs beat Hearts, with six games remaining we go five clear of Heart, six clear of St Mirren and seven ahead of Hibs. Eight points from our remaining eighteen to play for pretty much guarantees us third

What about Livi? I'd say that six is probably going to be enough, seven almost certainly means that we'll have taken something from hearts too. I don't see any team getting more than three wins in the remaining fixtures.

Really hoping we can pull away from the rest this weekend. It would be really regrettable if it did come down to goal difference. Just that Hearts game alone if we had lost by a more reasonable margin of two goals we would be level on GD with them right now. I also see this one as a must win. Hopefully Hibs turn up at Easter Road on Saturday aswell, they really need to win otherwise Livi could take there place in the top six. 

I would love to think we could go out and pump them at least 0-3. But I have a feeling this one will be a 0-1 shredding nerves affair. 

0-1 The Duk

Oot

My anxiety is building for this one significantly but there's plenty of reason for hope.  Classic tricky place to go as we have seen plenty times but good to see a sold out away end.  If we score first i think we will be fine though they will be stodgy and we may need to be patient.  

2 - 0 dons, Clarkson and bavidge

Weirdly, we’ve lost the last eight games when on sky (albeit I imagine most are against the cheeks), but we have won the last five on a Friday night. So what does that mean? Who knows 😂

should have good confidence going into this and county have lost a couple on the bounce. Tough place to go but our form against them earlier in the season should go out the window. Hopefully. Not ideal that they’ve got to fight for safety still.

happy to see the same team but with Shinnie. Fingers crossed we continue our drive. 

out

bed

hopefully watching it

dad duty

2-1 dons, duk and shinnie

Just now, OrlandoDon said:

No ramadani today…injured?

Must be, as he's not even on the bench. Shame, he's been very good since Robson put Clarkson in behind with him and Shinnie in front. Duncan did well last week, but I'd much rather have Ramadani in there away from home.

We've been rotten. Thank God for Duk. 

Concerning over the last three games how many last ditch tackles and saves we've needed . ( Fair play to the boys at the back because we'd have been three down under Goodwin)

Feel like Duk's run of form is papering over some cracks and we might get spanked when the currant buns turn up.

Here's hoping for a more convincing second half.

3 minutes ago, redordead said:

Couple of good passes early on. What are the noises about him after this season?

Back to Liverpool I would assume, he's top class and will go very far. Best player we've got, inclusive of Duk. The pass to Duk and the one to McRorie too were just brilliant. It's the fact that he's always looking for the quick pass that makes the difference.

• Like 1

I have to say that I think he's been miles better than Maddison ever was for us and agree that he's potentially a top top player.

That said, I can't see him in their squad next year. It'd be great to have him back but I think he might be fired to the championship.

County have been decent, really taking the game to us and very direct. The midfield being bypassed completely, which suits them, and Ramadani missing not helping matters. MacDonald is excellent at the back, and the previous defence would be letting 3 in by now. We're playing a risky game, but I don't see any other option. I guess Duncan and McRorie could switch, but I wouldn't fancy McRorie in midfield after a good run at wingback. There's nothing on the bench, and a chance Duncan could do something on the break.

1 minute ago, redordead said:

I have to say that I think he's been miles better than Maddison ever was for us and agree that he's potentially a top top player.

That said, I can't see him in their squad next year. It'd be great to have him back but I think he might be fired to the championship.

He's on the maddison trajectory, definitely, and offers significantly more for us. His tracking and tackling make him a far more complete player than maddison was for us. You could be right about championship, but wouldn't be surprised to seem loaned to EPL either. Having seen gilmour for Scotland a few times, I'd say that's pretty much his level.

53 minutes ago, redordead said:

Probably missed something but Barron seems to have fallen out of the picture. Is he injured or just out of favour?

Injured. Hopefully back for next week now!

Great second half performance against a difficult County side. Duk was top class, as was Clarkson. Thought Duncan and Shinnie had great second halves, and the game's gone if that's a red card. A fucking farce that is only a card when you slow it down and focus on the question "can you see a red card in the following incident", removing all context once again. VAR ruining the game throughout with its nonsense stoppages (including our disallowed goal).

• Like 3

That was the result that was needed. As I expected it was a nervy finish, but it's the points that are needed at this stage of the season. 

Regarding Clarkson if we were to get third place and guaranteed european Football till Xmas surely that would help in terms of getting him back next year.

7 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

Regarding Clarkson if we were to get third place and guaranteed european Football till Xmas surely that would help in terms of getting him back next year

There's no chance Clarkson is here next season. We've had a great player for a season. It would be a silly career move for him to stay here, he's already proved he can more than cut it. It's not really how the loan system works. I wouldn't even think there's a chance of getting Pollock. Maybe not even MacDonald who doesn't have a club, although it'd be great if so.

• Like 1