Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

McInnes must go

29 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Good stuff. He can have no complaints. Did his best, with a lot of professionalism and has left the club in a significantly better position than when he started. He wasn't a disgrace by any stretch, and the club did the right thing by him, giving him every chance to succeed. 

Collins has just expressed an interest in the Tims job, so expect we'll do a McGhee scenario and offer him the dons job once he's heard back from them.

I've just said the same to my brother. Well wait for Celtic to decide and then take a runner up.

I hope not though. So you think Steve McLaren's brolly would survive the wind at pittodrie?

Well done to the board, timing is just about right, he had his vote of confidence.  New manager has time to assess the shite I mean players he has left behind, enough time to put a recruitment plan together for the summer.  If we can  go get Duncan Ferguson. 

It's obviously the right move. Overall I don't think he was brilliant in his time here (a lot of his success was a product of us spending more money than everyone below us on players anyone would have wanted - McLean, Shinnie, etc.) but I find it hard to look at it objectively and say he was a genuinely bad manager at the same time. Had more success than anyone else we've had in living memory and we did actually play some good football for a period as well. It all went shite in the end but that happens to every manager eventually.

I think big Dunc is an interesting one, very different to Steve Clarke but the same in the sense that he’s been a coach/assistant at a big club for a while, plus interim head for a short time. There must be something there, plus I love his passion and enthusiasm for the game, seems to be a players coach too. Then again, worryingly, he reminds me a bit of John Hughes and that’s a huge hell no! Ferguson has never been a head coach, never mind with the financial situation of a Scottish club like us, more questions than answers if you ask me, but a risk I’d be open to.....if he is actually an option.

Just saw the news. I was not expecting that this season. Best thing for all involved I think. I have to say that the news comes with a tinge of sadness. I've always liked McInnes as a guy and the past 8 years have on a whole for me have been fairly positive but we have missed the next step up that he has not been able to take us to. All the best Derek,

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, scotfree said:

Just saw the news. I was not expecting that this season. Best thing for all involved I think. I have to say that the news comes with a tinge of sadness. I've always liked McInnes as a guy and the past 8 years have on a whole for me have been fairly positive but we have missed the next step up that he has not been able to take us to. All the best Derek,

Well said, and I’m surprised that he went now too. Shows a bit of bravery and ambition by cormack if you ask me, especially since this will cost a bit too. Nothing against mcinnes personally, we’re certainly in a better place now than when he took over, but he peaked a good 2-3 years ago (or longer) and change is needed before we start to significantly decline. The squad will probably be blown up this summer, best give the new guy the opportunity to rebuild.

3 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Good stuff. He can have no complaints. Did his best, with a lot of professionalism and has left the club in a significantly better position than when he started. He wasn't a disgrace by any stretch, and the club did the right thing by him, giving him every chance to succeed. 

Collins has just expressed an interest in the Tims job, so expect we'll do a McGhee scenario and offer him the dons job once he's heard back from them.

It was the DoF job he expressed an interest in 

2 hours ago, LA-Don said:

I think big Dunc is an interesting one, very different to Steve Clarke but the same in the sense that he’s been a coach/assistant at a big club for a while, plus interim head for a short time. There must be something there...

Personally, I'd have some pretty big doubts about him. If you look at people like John Carver at Newcastle, it's obvious that being an assistant manager at a big club doesn't necessarily translate into having any ability to manage a team yourself. Big Dunc actually looks exactly like the traditional stereotype of an assistant manager - hard man persona, capable of shouting loudly, questionable intelligence.

Darren Fletcher is far more interesting - achieved more than big Dunc as a player, had a better attitude, worked with better managers, seems pretty knowledgeable. Probably wouldn't take it as he's just joined Man United as a coach but I would ask him.

It's a shame it ended so badly for him, but it was all going Jimmy Calderwood for some time.

I think Cormack got him at the right time. Rough, first thing Monday, fresh from celebrating the hun title win. No doubt a flurry of WhatsApps to Scott Wright and Ryan Jack afterward.

I'm so appalled by this season, and disgusted by Scottish football in general, that I've no idea where we go from here. A new manager is like lowering a new captain on to the already sinking Titanic.

If the chairman can't come up with any words on this duopoly of 36 years, then he can resign too.

As others have said I am sad it ended the way it did but it had to end. The decline had been steady for sometime and he seemed incapable of reversing it other than 6 weeks with Watkins, Wright and Hedges upfront and I am not convinced that wasn’t luck rather than design. I think it was a shame that he never left when Sunderland offered him the role. 

Went to bed assuming his departure was fake news,so a wee bit surprised today. 8 years is a long time these days,it had all gone a bit familiarly stale. Appreciate what he did though,wish him well.

Havent seen anyone mentioned that fires the imagination. Aim high,ask someone thats made their money who fancies getting in about the Gruesome twosome before we lower the bar to the usual suspects

Just now, sancho_panza said:

Overall I don't think he was brilliant in his time here

Had more success than anyone else we've had in living memory 

Sums up our support for me.  I really do not know what people expect our club to be achieving.

Cannot believe we are three points off third place and firing a manager.  It is a disgraceful way to treat someone who has taken our club from being a laughing stock to consistently challenging for trophies again and shown a fair bit of loyalty to us when he could have taken the money elsewhere.  We've been here before with Calderwood and the years after that were horrendous.

It is one of those sackings that if another club had done it you would be wishing the next manager gets them relegated.  It is just over a year ago since Kilmarnock were fifth in the league and fired their manager.......................

1 hour ago, tup1 said:

It's a shame it ended so badly for him, but it was all going Jimmy Calderwood for some time.

I think Cormack got him at the right time. Rough, first thing Monday, fresh from celebrating the hun title win. No doubt a flurry of WhatsApps to Scott Wright and Ryan Jack afterward.

I'm so appalled by this season, and disgusted by Scottish football in general, that I've no idea where we go from here. A new manager is like lowering a new captain on to the already sinking Titanic.

If the chairman can't come up with any words on this duopoly of 36 years, then he can resign too.

Tri-opoly?

4 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Sums up our support for me.  I really do not know what people expect our club to be achieving.

Cannot believe we are three points off third place and firing a manager.  It is a disgraceful way to treat someone who has taken our club from being a laughing stock to consistently challenging for trophies again and shown a fair bit of loyalty to us when he could have taken the money elsewhere.  We've been here before with Calderwood and the years after that were horrendous.

It is one of those sackings that if another club had done it you would be wishing the next manager gets them relegated.  It is just over a year ago since Kilmarnock were fifth in the league and fired their manager.......................

Not sure if hun?

Don't think this is like the Calderwood situation at all. McInnes has been backed financially far more than Calderwood was. Calderwood was always likely to take points/beat the tims or original huns. Albeit lose to St Mirren 0-3 the next week. McInnes has been "more successful" because he is more cautious, rigid formations, and better players. I'd go as far to say Calderwood would have had us gubbing teams with this squad, just picture it, Ash Taylor up front, Logan as a man marking CDM, McKenna at Peterhead...

You say 3 points off third I say 19 points off the worst tim side since the 80's. 

He should have gone after the 2017 cup final, or at the very least the end of the following season after beating the new huns to second. I think he would have gone to the huns when they came in for him if they hadn't been such a dishonest financial basket case. That was the point when the relationship turned sour and also the point he seems to have become dis-interested. Poor transfer planning leading to poor signings, poorly planned game tactics, general lack of drive and enthusiasm for the job. 

• Like 1

I expect our club to be beating the cheeks every so often.

I expect us to be getting some silverware once in a while.

I expect a manager to not dick players around who show potential or score then are dropped.

A manager who doesnt buy duds.

A training schedule that strengthens players not one where they always get injured.

A better recruitment team who look elsewhere and dont go for the easy option.

I expect a manager who can find a football player somewhere in the world who can score a fucking goal.

A manager who sticks to a set up and believes in it.

A manager who doesn't bring old players back because they were decent once.

A team that can get past the qualification in Europa.

The list is endless.

Anyone who still wants a failing manager to stay with us does not see our potential being thwarted huge!

People wanted Rooney to stay on even though he was utter shite for his last what?2 years with us.

Great servant but loyalty goes out the window when someone isnt good enough. Few examples at AFC.

Thanks DM but this was overdue years ago as many have said.

29 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I have defended McInnes for some time but even I came around to the fact that it was in the best interests of bothparties for us to move on.

Much as I hear your comment regarding being three points off third and "sacking" a manager, I genuinely feel that the fact we are third is masking the real issues. No flair, no style, no entertainment value, no goals, no Plan B, in fact not even sure there is a Plan A any longer.

I personally wouldl ike to thank Del and Tony for the majority of the past eight years. 

43,000 Reds at Parkhead, AFC owned Glasgow that day and it was fucking magic.

A couple of European trips I enjoyed during their tenure.

A couple of record transfer fees coming in during their time here.

Finishing above Der Hun the first two years they were in the top division.

I wish them all the best wherever they end up as long as they lie down to us if we meet.

The next appointment is without doubt the most important since Fergie left back in '86 and we know how that panned out.

Lets hope Cormack has a vision he can deliver.

12 minutes ago, tup1 said:

Stephen Robinson is the best of the candidates available, we should appoint him as soon as possible.

Seriously ::)

Hope Cormack is thinking a little bit more outside the box than that.

Not a single candidate in Scotland I'd personally entertain