Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

The art of goalkeeping, Clangers, Soutar and Leighton

Tonight was a classic from Coo Duh Cheenie. They say things come in threes. Clangers in Munchen and that German Werder Bremen wank being the other two. Professional my arse.

1) Langfield in the Allianz

1st goal - Tremendous free kick, straight at his heid. Puts one arm up. Misses everything.

2nd goal - Great free kick on to the heider, straight at his heid. Puts one arm up. Misses everything.

3rd goal - Snap shot straight at the left side of Clangers. If he hadn't even moved, it would have hit him and gone out, but he tries to get low and stop/smother/collect it, despite the pace of it. It was a straightforward left foot/shin/leg block - simple stuff.

2) German at Ibrox.

Too sick to even discuss. This was a goalkeeping Ibrox disaster. "Here's a couple of goals, huns". Werder let in 6 today!

3) Chelski

Magic result for Barnsley, but what a joke piece of ineptitude from Cudicini.

Soutar has the shirt just now. I'm happy with that, because in my opinion, Langfiled is like Byrne and Dempsey and Crawford. Crap.

We don't know if Soapy is going to be any good or not until he gets a chance.

But what are we paying Leighton for? He was the greatest keeper we ever had, but shove him off the payroll and into the real world to get a real job. With the money we'd save, it might pay for the difference between, for example, a Barry Nicholson and a really good midfielder.

You can't teach goalkeeping. You either have it or you don't. Clangers has never had it. Leighton always did.

Boric's turn for a nightmare the morn. He's been looking like one is coming...

Well I couldn't have been more wrong about Boric the day!

But Soutar was superb. I've had to endure Clangers-enthusaists for over two years now. The telling points for me today end the argument forever. First, Soutar stuck two hands up to block shots directed at his coupon and the vicinity of his coupon. Second, and most crucially, keeping is mostly about reactions. Both Boric and Soutar demonstrated excellence in this regard. Reminded me of the 1-1 when Goram and Leighton mid 90's prevented a real 5-5.

Well I couldn't have been more wrong about Boric the day!

But Soutar was superb. I've had to endure Clangers-enthusaists for over two years now. The telling points for me today end the argument forever. First, Soutar stuck two hands up to block shots directed at his coupon and the vicinity of his coupon. Second, and most crucially, keeping is mostly about reactions. Both Boric and Soutar demonstrated excellence in this regard. Reminded me of the 1-1 when Goram and Leighton mid 90's prevented a real 5-5.

Hibs-Huns?

Canna mind, sorry. Was just so impressed with the goal keeping that day, best keeping display ever at Pittodrie that I've ever seen that my memory of the rest of it is lost. Mind Jess's goals at East End park, and his keepy uppy at Hampden and his goal at Ibrox in another 1-1 but canna mind the goals fae that game. Was def 94/95 I reckon, maybe 96 but 95 if I was betting on it.

Auld Peter Kjaer had a few top-drawer saves. I mind we played Livi at Almondvale in their first SPL season. David Fernandez bore down on goal with only Kjaer between him and the sticks. He shot at a strange angle and the ball was definitely goalbound, but somehow Kjaer managed to contort his body like a frigging high-jump champion to nudge the ball over the bar. Unbelievable save!!!