Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - Victimhood - Boxing Day 2 pm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can anyone say the first was a dodgy pen!? Clear pen. Second. There was enough contact. And fuck it, its them. Just couldn't believe how bad consi, logan and ball were for the third and fourth goals. We were completely overrun in the second, was hard to watch.

Two full backs are a priority imo

That fuckers were there for the taking today, but our tactics stopped us from taking advantage.

We need to sort out the middle of the park that is our weakest area by far for me.

We put in a decent shift today, but came away with nothing, the last two goals we conceded were as soft as fuck.

James Wilson is a waste of a jersey and needs to go back in January. I am sure he will score goals for somebody,  but not for us.

Shinnie just followed what Scott Brown did down at Section Y near the end of the first half. Ref made it clear he was willing to give a foul for that.

Our defence was as weak as you'd expect with 2 of the 4 defenders being played out of position.

As much question marks there are over Gleeson in midfield, if Dom Ball playing in central defence is preferable to Gleeson in central midfield, we might as well terminate his contract now.

In the first half, trying to man mark too many of their players done us. Considine pulled out of position so Logan had to tuck in killed us as the ball slid into the channel was just too easy.  Ball's effort then McKenna being on his heels gifted the chance to Sinclair.

The three goals conceded in the second half could have been a slideshow of Aberdeen-Celtic games of the past few years. Target the full backs, get in behind, cut back, goal.  It was embarrassing how easy it was for them.

I really liked how high we sat today in terms of putting pressure on their back line - particularly first half. But it's so hard to keep that going for the 90.

I would liked to have seen Bruce Anderson on the park today, give them something different to think about. But, if we're scoring three goals at home and still losing the match it's clear where the issues are.

I don't think Ball put in a good enough performance today. Would say he was at fault for the first goal and just didn't break up the play enough in the middle of the park. When we then moved Shinnie into midfield it was better but we were totally exposed on the flanks. I actually thought Considine did fine today but was always going to be done for pace once he was moved out to left back. I think it was obvious that we sorely missed Max Lowe.

Personally don't buy that Celtic were there for the taking, they are not as good as they have been but neither are we. They managed to take an 8m player off the bench to turn the match for them. We are doing well to be where we are based on the players we have lost over the past few seasons. I would bite your arm off to accept a European place and integrating some of these good youngsters into the team this season. Its not that I'm unambitious but I do feel realistically we are going to need this season to rebuild. Maclennan looked decent again today although he was quickly crowded out whenever he got the ball.

What might have been

Dhims targetted Logan as the weak link in our defence. Proved a successful tactic in the end but the 3rd and 4th goals we conceded both he, Ball and McKenna were all culpable. Considine cops the blame for the second. First was a well worked effort.

First half we deserved our equaliser and was a definite penalty though a stupidly conceded one on Izaguirre's part. Our second was a definite dive by Shinnie but well put away by Cosgrove who was quiet today but confidence must be sky high. Ferguson looked tired and he will now get his much needed rest this coming weekend. McKenna was m.o.m. until his poor showing in the last 10 minutes, probably would give it to May for his fantastic work rate. Wright sadly another chance given and another chance not taken. With our injury list he will probably feature against Livi in some capacity but needs punted out on loan in January.

Final score flattered us a bit but at least we aren't suffering 3 goal or more margins of defeat against them now. Hopefully they'll pump sevco Sat lunchtime and allow us the opportunity to draw level on points with der hun later in the afternoon.

I was at a different game today.

What I saw was Shinnie at LB for the first half and them creating zero, particularly down their right wing.

Then I saw Consi at LB and twice Forrest got the better of him and this led to two goals.

Connor Mac was poor. He never got into it and was lazy as fuck.

Shinnie in midfield is fucking useless. That was embarrassing today.

But when a shitehoose like Collum is in charge, it all goes oot the windie.

Well blow me over I managed to win £152 on us losing with £17 Lewis Ferguson Anytime Scorer (7/1) and Scott Sinclair £10 First Goal (9/2).  Lost our £12 predicting a 2-1 Aberdeen win.  Only did the aforementioned Celtic player because he played for Manchester City my English team.  Couldn't believe the betting shop in England never had Ferguson on their coupon and guy behind desk had to phone up head office for said price!!!  Actually asked yours truly;

"Are you sure it isn't Lewis Morgan you're after?!?!?!"

What I saw was Shinnie at LB for the first half and them creating zero, particularly down their right wing.

Then I saw Consi at LB and twice Forrest got the better of him and this led to two goals.

Shinnie is a better left back, that's for sure. Consi on the left killed us but Shinnie in midfield wins us the penalty. Think the lesson here is that with Lowe leaving Shinnie is the natural replacement but we are utter horseshit in central midfield. No to Gleeson Ball Forrester Tansey. Ferguson is a worker but not creative. We have nothing in the middle of the park. Two good players in there and the opponents get sucked in and our wide players get much more space.

Yet another Celtic game with the same end product. We beat ourselves with shit tactics and are left to reflect what could have been. And yes, Celtic were there for the taking, they are not a great side the season but yet again our manager treats them like Barcelona.

I don't understand those who thought we played well today. Sit in and hope Celtic don't score isn't my idea of a good performance.

Shinnie is a better left back, that's for sure. Consi on the left killed us but Shinnie in midfield wins us the penalty

Not necessarily. Shinnie v same opponents in his first season with us won us a penalty in nearly the exact spot he did today. We lose a massive attacking threat when he's not at left back.

Agree with most of that,except Shinnie out of the midfielders we have is about as good as weve got,...doesnt say a lot for the others.

MacLennan at the Hearts game I thought was maybe subdued by their physicality,but today,I also came to the conclusion he,and Wright are a bit lazy,or picky in the games they turn it on in.

Our efforts to contain meant our attack was more hope than conviction

My post mortem feeling is one of sickness. We could have got something out of that but were deservedly beaten. The ref contributed to the feeling of nausea, Collum being a perennial cunt.

Football is a simple game and the more you have the ball, the more opportunities you can create. We conceded two thirds of the possession for the whole period. Scott Brown had the majority of their possession in the first half and he was able to walk into our half. He couldn't run into our half because there were no options ahead of him, unsurprisingly with six AFC marking five of them. Our problem was one of not matching up, our rigid zonal defence doing a great job in the first half in limiting them to barely nothing but conceding vast amounts of the ball. I felt sorry for May and Cosgrove, running about like headless chickens trying to share the responsibility of shadowing Brown but it should never have been their jobs.

McGinn and MacLennan were obviously under instructions to stick to their wings to negate any prospect of their full backs attacking the flanks but with their back four spreading it about and Brown in front of the back line, there was their extra man right there, McGinn + MacLennan + May + Cosgrove being only four in number. So we as good as invited them to come at us and allowed Brown to walk into our half, where he did pretty much fuck all with it.

But all the time he and they have the ball, we don't. McInnes was so scared of them and so lacking in courage to have a go, he didn't direct either Ball or Ferguson to press high up the pitch and prevent Brown waltzing unchallenged into our half. This is simple mathematics and being aware that man marking cancels waltzing. It also would have conserved energy, our front two getting worn out by shadow chasing.

The biggest crime was Considine being switched to LB. If McGinn was injured, it should've been a straight swap but absolutely no need for a wholesale formational change. Taking Ball back into the centre of defence wasn't going to make much difference as he was sitting so deep anyway but sticking Considine into a position where he's already said he's not comfortable was madness. And for what end? To release Shinnie into the middle where we could watch him chase shadows the whole second half, yet again? It didn't work. They had even more possession and had multiple players walking into our half, not just Brown.

It only takes one moment of switching off or one mistake to turn a game. It was a good ball that caught us napping down our right which led to their first but that was the only mistake in the first half, buried by some good pinball fortune for Sinclair. But in the second half, twice Forrest ripped Considine and both times it led to goals. These weren't mistakes. These were predictable outcomes caused by an insane formational change, so predictable in fact that I predicted it on this thread.

Cowardice and stupidity were the failings that cost us three points. Once again McInnes didn't have the balls to press them high and this is a continuous losing tactic which also implies to his men that he doesn't consider them good enough. It was stupidity in the extreme to put Considine out at LB where Shinnie had been looking so comfortable in the first half. These are the main reasons we lost.

All correct r.s, As much as i like Considine he doesn't have the pace for left back, Forrest just glides past him , never happened when he was up against Lowe.

To be honest, we probably didn't deserve to win yesterday, but at 2 2 we should have seen the game out, comical defending at 3rd & 4th goals, Ball looked bo hapless at one of them.  We almost deserved to get beat for the tactics we were deploying  in 2nd half, real losing mentality sitting so deep like that.

We need to strengthen in Jan. no doubt, full backs,midfield & striker needed i.m.o!

If Devlin/McKenna is our 1st choice c.b pairing, i'm sorry big Andy will have to warm the bench, McGinn isn't doing enough & McLennan hasn't been so effective last 2 games, i wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Gleeson before making my mind up & what has happened to Scott Wright ?  Disillusioned ?

I've just seen the goals and where Forrest skinned Considine for pace for their second, Logan was weak in not getting into the right position.

For their third, Considine was so scared of getting ripped for pace again, he hung so deep allowing acres of space for Forrest to not only receive the pass but bags of time to make the telling pass into the box.

At the time I remember thinking a man against boys for their fourth as Logan and Ball combined to do fuck all.

Refrained from posting directly after the game, as to be honest, I was fucking seething. Probably still am in all fairness.

What I saw yesterday, was not the Aberdeen we have seen in this good run we have been on of late, I saw us allow Celtic to dictate the ball, I saw us trying the man marking nonsense again, Boyata & Benkovic for almost the entirety of the 2nd half were basically playing as CM's because every single Aberdeen player was in their own half, not because they were forcing us into our own half, but because for some utterly bizarre reason, we adopted that system.

We conceded criminal goals, no point finger pointing, McInnes put Considine against Forrest, how many times have we seen that tried? And how many times have we conceded a goal from it?

I think what was definitely evident though, was that when we actually got up the pitch, which only happened after we conceded  ??? we caused problems, won penalties and made them make a few errors, and generally looked like the Aberdeen we have seen of late, but again, for me, McInnes shafted us yesterday, treating Celtic with far more respect than they deserved. Why were our entire outfield players camped in our own half? I can't understand this, Tims have dropped points/lost away to Killie, Hibs, Livingston, Hearts etc... they stuck to their guns, they didn't over think tactics or whatever the fuck that was yesterday.

The manager & the players deserve credit for the run they have put together, they deserve credit for the swing in points over Hearts, Livi, Hibs, Killie etc... but he got it wrong yesterday, and I am fucking sick reading comments like " We didn't deserve that " or " Fuck Collum, we'd have won that if it wasn't for him " or the best one yet " players played brilliantly, we were very unlucky not to come away with anything " The players did not play brilliantly, at zero point did we look like scoring from open play & McInnes kowtowing to Celtic ultimately cost us, we should have had a go, stuck to the same system we have done for the last 5-6 games and I honestly believe we'd have seen a different outcome. The goals we conceded were comical, had Devlin & Lowe been fit, then perhaps we'd have been more solid, but I still can't understand the tactics yesterday, a missed opportunity, that's a fact.

Appreciate it's a rant, but it's how I saw it, I expected more from McInnes, but then again, deep down, I suppose I didn't. Extremely disappointing.

Hope you all had a cracking Christmas in any case  :)

Utter rubbish being talked on here,put limited first team squad has been stretched

All Dec, we’ve had half our regular defence out most effective attacking player Gms!

Players won’t be 100% fit @ expect our loans Frees @ youngsters to beat a team assembled

By millions ...

Mcinnes is trying to find a way as going toe to toe we’re humped ,trying to make chicken salad out of chicken

Shite springs to mind ....

Expect more upset as January is around the corner @ more will go @ Milne won’t back the gaffer withany real dough.

Ross @ anderson need loaned out as looks like there not going to make it.

Wilson ,tansey , Reynolds,Gleason,forrester,Gms,shinnie bye bye..!