Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Motherwell vs Aberdeen

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So disappointing. Celtic turned the screw the last 4-5 weeks, and I thought we had as well, genuinely thought we'd win today, albeit hard fought, this is just fucking abysmal and not what we need heading into a final next week. Lewis apparently having a go at the defence and Stevie May. All goals completely avoidable according to commentary, players clearly feeling the pressure, either that or McInnes and the players indeed have an eye on next week. In any case, completely unacceptable. 

We seem to do this so much.  Put all our errors into one match and get an absolute hammering.  Seem incapable of coming from a couple of goals down unlike other teams.  Even Dundee bottom of the league have come from 2-0 down at Easter Road.  At least Hearts are getting beat and St.Johnstone, Kilmarnock and Hibernian all drawing.

Thread is unusually quiet tonight.

Unfortunately not in a position to comment on the game as only had Radio coverage, but going on that, it could quite easily have been a lot worse today, in terms of scoreline anyway. Seemed like we had a decent opportunity to take the lead, firstly May, then Shinnie. Wilson also missed a clear opportunity?

Anyway, according to Billy Dodds, said he's been concerned about James Wilson's body language, said he's looked uninterested these last few games and today he reiterated that point again. Hooked at HT, either picked up a knock, or McInnes wasn't best pleased.

Anyway, need to get this out of the system as soon as possible, if this Aberdeen team turns up next week, we'll get horsed by a bigger margin.

Anyone seen/heard a McInnes interview post match?

Thread is unusually quiet tonight.

Unfortunately not in a position to comment on the game as only had Radio coverage, but going on that, it could quite easily have been a lot worse today, in terms of scoreline anyway. Seemed like we had a decent opportunity to take the lead, firstly May, then Shinnie. Wilson also missed a clear opportunity?

Anyway, according to Billy Dodds, said he's been concerned about James Wilson's body language, said he's looked uninterested these last few games and today he reiterated that point again. Hooked at HT, either picked up a knock, or McInnes wasn't best pleased.

Anyway, need to get this out of the system as soon as possible, if this Aberdeen team turns up next week, we'll get horsed by a bigger margin.

Anyone seen/heard a McInnes interview post match?

We are possibly all in shock after expecting at least a decent performance today considering we have a final to look forward to next week.

Like yourself KFP I too listened to the radio and heard Dodds speak about Wilson. The loon has talent, but something not right, possibly thinks he is too good for our game??

By the sounds of it we weren't far off the pace for about 60 minutes, but never took our chances whereas Motherwell did, then after their third we were out of it and a case of damage limitation.

Hopefully we will have Devlin back for the final and keep our defence settled, but fuck knows who we will start with up front, but I do suspect Cosgrove will be on from the start.

Fairly puts a spoiler on a Saturday night when we lose badly.

DeeDon, if he thinks he's too good for our game, he needs to take a long good hard look at his level of performance. I think it's leaning more towards the fact he realises his time is up at Man U and this is more the level he'll be playing at, perhaps its a rude awakening for the lad & its made him really unhappy?

Devlin is an absolute must, we have looked relatively solid with him & McKenna, but I fear our sheer lack of imagination and creativity at the top end of the pitch will render his return useless in the end.

The dilemma up front is very concerning, as it stands, May, Wilson & Cosgrove are not good enough, it's as simple as that. Wilson has shown flashes of brilliance, which could win us a game I suppose, but he hasn't done enough and if he looks disinterested, he should not be starting. Cosgrove is a handful, he links the play well and brings that aerial threat, but for me, lacks that goal threat we really need. May is sadly unable to play as a lone striker and he is completely useless in front of goal., I would actually put May as the worse of our attacking options & a decent performance against Hibs won't change that. Young Bruce Anderson may not be at the level required to lead the line in a Cup Final, but at the end of the day, he cannot be any worse than any of the other lads, such a sad state of affairs. January is massive in terms of recruitment at the top end of the pitch.

It was a nothing game for the opening period - Shinnie could have had us ahead but shot wide. Then all of a sudden we were 2 down.

Bad mistake by Mcginn at the first, compounded by Logan not being strong or smart enough.

After that we just didn't have the desire or minerals to get ourselves back into it.

Everyone bar Ferguson was shite. Ferguson continuously tried, always tried to get us forward and play football.

Every team has their off days  but we're having more than we should this season. Another day as well that Motherwell have absolutely battered us - it's becoming a regular occurrence.

Don't think anyone has mentioned it but Mcginn started centrally for us today, wonder if that's with next week in mind.

It was a nothing game for the opening period - Shinnie could have had us ahead but shot wide. Then all of a sudden we were 2 down.

Bad mistake by Mcginn at the first, compounded by Logan not being strong or smart enough.

After that we just didn't have the desire or minerals to get ourselves back into it.

Everyone bar Ferguson was shite. Ferguson continuously tried, always tried to get us forward and play football.

Every team has their off days  but we're having more than we should this season. Another day as well that Motherwell have absolutely battered us - it's becoming a regular occurrence.

Don't think anyone has mentioned it but Mcginn started centrally for us today, wonder if that's with next week in mind.

Could very well be the case. I have a feeling we'll play a 5-3-2/3-5-2 depending on whether we're in possession etc.. Logan & Lowe as Wing Backs & GMS playing off the main striker whoever that may be. Ferguson Shinnie & McGinn as the 3 central players, Ball Considine & McKenna at the back, if Devlin doesn't make it.

Lewis

Ball  McKenna  Considine

Logan                                        Lowe

McGinn Ferguson Shinnie

GMS  Cosgrove

Just a sneaky feeling.

I'd like to say I'm in shock but given that Motherwell have been giving us horsings down there (and at Hampdung) fairly regularly recently I really cannot say I am in all honesty.

We were missing our most consistent player this season but surely to f@ck that was more than offset by them missing their captain and first choice 'keeper.

Again, only going by radio commentary, could (maybe should) have been 1 up through Shinnie before McGinn's apparent brainfart, compounded by Shay worryingly yet again making what proved to be a fatal error. Logan was rank rotten all last season apart from the final 10 weeks or so. He's started this season just as badly and though it's obvious he loves the club, maybe it would be better for everyone if he did head back south next summer.

Joe it seems was also badly at fault at their second but tried to pin the blame on May rather than hold his hands up. And I'm now coming out as being in the "send Wilson back to Man U in January" camp. Sadly i believe we are stuck with him till summer. Boy clearly has talent but not nearly as much as he himself believes and his attitude (got too much too soon IMO) will see him rock up next season at a Rotherham or Doncaster and end up struggling there too.

All will be forgiven if we somehow lift the trophy next Sunday but right now.....especially with Devlin doubtful.....that seems a bit of a stretch to imagine being a realistic aim. Large nightcap required...