Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Aberdeen v Hibernian

This came as a surprise to me, but we are actually the form league team in the SPFL at the moment in the last 6 games, 5 wins and a defeat. Scored 11 and conceded 3, massing 15 points. Hibs are 2nd, having won 4 and drew 2, scoring 14 and conceding 7, massing 14 points.

I honestly believe a win today will guarantee us 2nd, not that we can take our foot of the gas. I don't think we will blow them away like the 4-1 game, I reckon it'll be pretty tight with a single goal separating us after 90 minutes.

It's an odd feeling this, as we usually have 2nd wrapped up by now ( I think ) so it'll be interesting to see how the players cope and react, we have won big games before, but we've also faltered badly, so it's going to be an intriguing afternoon.

I snuck away from work last night and slept til 4.30am this morning to stay up for this game, nobody even noticed  :rofl: :rofl: and I am working again tonight, so going to be interesting to see how I cope and react myself.

Hibs fans are rather confident of turning us over, not quietly confident, they firmly believe they're winning today, labelling us big game bottlers etc... And as I alluded too above, I suppose we have been, but today is the day we shut them, and one or two others, up.

COYR!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over 17,500 tickets have been sold so far and there is still time to buy on line. Go on, nice Day in Aberdeen for a VERY important match.  :thumbsup:

Ps If you can not make the game full live match coverage is on RED TV International ( Audio for UK users) and also on BBC ALBA at 1800 hours.

Over 17,500 tickets have been sold so far and there is still time to buy on line. Go on, nice Day in Aberdeen for a VERY important match.  :thumbsup:

Ps If you can not make the game full live match coverage is on RED TV International ( Audio for UK users) and also on BBC ALBA at 1800 hours.

Wish you wouldn't mention "live as" on Alba - recorded the last 2 (Thistle and Hearts) but watched neither 'cos piss poor games and results.  Law of averages?

Wish you wouldn't mention "live as" on Alba - recorded the last 2 (Thistle and Hearts) but watched neither 'cos piss poor games and results.  Law of averages?

Have we ever actually won a match when we've been on Alba?  If we have it can't be many. 

Quite enjoyed watching that match, a bit frantic at times but both teams gave their all. Fair result in the end. The draw keeps us on track for second spot.

The Rangers game on Tuesday night IS our Cup Final.

An absorbing game without being high on quality,but there was good intensity about us,sometimes missing this season.We missed MacLeans composure in there though,and a draw was probably a fair result.

Cosgroves a useful addition,as long as we dont assume the option of using the long ball at the expense of creativity.Didnt see much of an understanding between him and May,but maybe early days.

A bit of the fight we showed today might have a better than previous result on tuesday

Better overall without McLean but Ball really shouldn't be on the park with real footballers.

I've backed May to improve but he was atrocious in the first half.

The best 45 minutes I've seen from GMS ( first half) he was even winning headers.

McKennan just gets better, which is just as well because he was the entire back line today.

Cosgrove?  hmmm not much, give him a run and see though.

Well, not quite the win I predicted.

A lot of huffing and puffing, plenty of effort but not great on quality. Didn't like this tactic of lump it up high to Cosgrove, we should be better than that, or at least should be.

I'll go against Donsdaft here and say we missed McLean, especially as a creative outlet and will miss him next season. With him out today we lost that little bit of quality in the middle which could have created something and suspect that had a lot to do with us hitting it high up to Cosgrove.

Not really happening for Niall at the moment, great workrate, but most of what he is trying from an attacking sense just isn't happening, unlucky with his free kick in the first half though. GMS is also starting to work harder on the defensive side of his game, which is good to see.

A good penalty save from big Joe. Chick Dung was on the radio saying how much he was off his line before the ball was kicked, so a huge GIRFUY to that poor excuse of a pundit. 

It was a good battle between two decent teams, but wasn't too much quality on display, fair play to Hibs though they kept going for it right until the end and didn't just dig in and settle out for the draw. 

I thought the ref was really poor today, made some very strange decisions.

Bring on the Huns.

Aye, it was actually quite an enjoyable game. Good bit of bite about it and a decent battle. McGinn should have been off for that challenge on GMS, it was off the fuckin pitch. Shinnie top performer for us. Cosgrove did well again, May pap and Stewart also pap (although Stewart was also lazy). Ball okay, but generally agree with DD about him. O'Connor was gash, should have closed the player down for the pen. GMS good first half but should have been off earlier. Wright shouldn't have been at the club since January, complete waste of a player. Really missed McLean, very obvious even from little things like no-one being available for throw-ins. Anyway, not the worst result or performance. A bit more cutting edge on Tuesday with the same fight and we'll be in with a shout. Will likely need something against the Tims now though.

To add, in response to Chick, Lewis started way behind the line for the pen and didn't really finish that far ahead of it

Aye, it was actually quite an enjoyable game. Good bit of bite about it and a decent battle. McGinn should have been off for that challenge on GMS, it was off the fuckin pitch. Shinnie top performer for us. Cosgrove did well again, May pap and Stewart also pap (although Stewart was also lazy). Ball okay, but generally agree with DD about him. O'Connor was gash, should have closed the player down for the pen. GMS good first half but should have been off earlier. Wright shouldn't have been at the club since January, complete waste of a player. Really missed McLean, very obvious even from little things like no-one being available for throw-ins. Anyway, not the worst result or performance. A bit more cutting edge on Tuesday with the same fight and we'll be in with a shout. Will likely need something against the Tims now though.

To add, in response to Chick, Lewis started way behind the line for the pen and didn't really finish that far ahead of it

I didn't see the penalty as I sit in the Merkie, but I just thought he is such a bitter hun when he brought it up. Most keepers do it, it is nothing new.

I'd forgot about the McGinn challenge on GMS, it looked a bad one, but was actually surprised he even got booked as the ref was honking. Agree with you about Shinnie, thought he did the work of two men on the pitch today. A real captains performance.

Have we ever actually won a match when we've been on Alba?  If we have it can't be many.

Can think of one off the top of my head.

3-1 win against Killie in January.

The game with the McKenna 45 yarder

Draw probably a fair result tbh, really should have had a bigger crowd considering :  Thought Cosgrove & Ball both did well again.  Referee Beaton was diabolically bad, truly shocking .

Reynolds gave away 1st pen & he & us were lucky he never gave away a 2nd at the end, liability.

So he brought Reynolds in rather than consie!?! I’d actually typed that out when I was first replying to the thread saying it was the type of crazy thing he would do, but deleted it as I thought the consie one was far more logical. Didn’t think we’d see him getting any serious game time again.

Anyway, seems like the general opinion was it was a decent battle but unsurprisingly we didn’t score a goal without McLean. Is it repeated on alba later? Should be able to catch it here if it is. What was the crowd out of interest?

Think he brought in Reynolds as he is (now only marginally) quicker over the ground than Consi and he knew we would be facing Boyle who is like lightning, as is Barker who came on in the second half. Ref was dire by all accounts, how the hell McGinn (their one) didnt get a red for his assault on GMS is one I will never understand.

Draw probably the correct result, Hivs better in first half, us in the second.

Thank feck McLean is back on Tuesday, huge miss today

Watching the game on alba now, not sure what the officials are doing, already got a number of decisions quite clearly wrong. Also, under 18k there? Deary me, I guess a lot of folk are quite rightly pissed off about the cup semi. Would have been nice to have back to back sell outs. Need all the support we can get

Think the yellow for mcginn was fair, a red might have seemed harsh, but the yellow for MacKay-Stevens??? Won the ball?  :-\

Surprised to see McInnes make such a big change (Stewart for may) at half time. Seemed to improve a bit after half time but far too many aimless punts.

Overall, I think a draw was probably fair but we could and probably should have won that. Decent game and entertaining despite being goalless. Really need to pack out pittodrie on Tuesday though. Cannot afford to buckle or give those pricks an inch.

I actually though Reynolds did OK yesterday. Yes he gave away the pen, which was thankfully saved by Joe, but he hasn't played a lot this season and coming in yesterday at LB against a decent player, he did alright in the circumstances.  We really need to get the LB position sorted out for next season and we have seen when Shinnie has played back in the position, we look far more balanced at the back.

you know what fucking annoyed me, some idiot in the south stand is giving the ref abuse, some hibs fan in our south stand shouts out for the ref to give a penalty. And the fucking check of the ref to say, you need to get in the box first.

Thats a hard read that min  ???  I'll have another go after a cup o tea....

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Better overall without McLean

Fit game were you watching donsdaft? We desperately need McLean back for Tuesday. Zero creativity in midfield without him yesterday. Been the best player by miles since he agreed his move away.