Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Post split fixtures

Will Aberdeen ever win the Premiership Title again, don't think so, not being defeatist just realistic. The best we can achieve is runners up position, a Cup win now and again and a European run, that is all that lies ahead for us for the foreseeable.The players we have are the best we can get for the money we can afford. I am fustrated as everone else that our players do not seem to have the mindset to win against the Ugly Sisters like a few of the other clubs but hopefully that changes next season.  :thumbsup:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Aberdeen ever win the Premiership Title again, don't think so, not being defeatist just realistic. The best we can achieve is runners up position, a Cup win now and again and a European run, that is all that lies ahead for us for the foreseeable.The players we have are the best we can get for the money we can afford. I am fustrated as everone else that our players do not seem to have the mindset to win against the Ugly Sisters like a few of the other clubs but hopefully that changes next season.  :thumbsup:

Clearly not the case in either instance.

Finishing 2nd by beating Celtic would be a nice way to wrap up the season.

Finishing 2nd by relying on Hibs to beat Rangers at home, something we couldn’t do, would still keep us in a state of optimism deprivation.

Finishing 3rd will cost us £500k and will impact on our budget for next season. Hopefully we avoid that.

Finishing 2nd by beating Celtic would be a nice way to wrap up the season.

Finishing 2nd by relying on Hibs to beat Rangers at home, something we couldn’t do, would still keep us in a state of optimism deprivation.

Finishing 3rd will cost us £500k and will impact on our budget for next season. Hopefully we avoid that.

The ideal scenario would be for Aberdeen to beat Celtic.

Hibs to win 6-0 against Sevco or Sevco to be denied a license to play in Europe if they qualify.

Motherwell to win Scottish Cup.

:thumbsup:

l

Christ

If I had to choose, then it would be for the Hun to qualify then be denied a licence.

Does that make me a bad person???

No it does not make you a bad person but what fun that would be if it happened.

You can bet your bottom Dollar that the SFA have already granted the license. UEFA have to confirm the appeal from Sevco which will just be a formality I would guess.

it feels like, as is usual with a McInnes team post split, we're limping across the line and somehow fluked it. 

8 out of 12 post-split points isn't a bad return. It was the pre-split points that were the issue.

Given the changes last summer, and the very poor replacements, 70 points so far is a pretty decent return. 73 (unlikely, I ken) after the weekend would only make us a win short of last season, so really not too bad. I think our squad is a lot worse than those figures, but thankfully we'll decimate it again this summer, relieving us of a lot of the dross. I think there should be an open bus party at the end of the season celebrating Maynard leaving.

What McInnes does well is take the points off the diddy teams. We've done that again this year. We didn't score as many though because we're not as good as we were last year.

Post split we've done well. Good wins over Killie and Hearts (a team we hadn't scored against), a draw with the inform Hibs, plus a point against the huns who we've been awful against. Many predicted we wouldn't win a post split game, we've done better than I expected.

Have to admit I was one who suspected we wouldn't win a game post split. Our problem as has been stated is that our pre split points total, coupled with goals scored, has been poor. And it is true that we have been excellent at beating the dross in the league. Our problem was taking points off the arse cheeks. 0 points out of 18 available pre split was just not good enough. Even one win against both would have had us comfortably in second place and within a respectable distance of Celtic. Hell even 1 draw against sevco and we would already be guaranteed 2nd place regardless of this weekends upcoming results.

I'm in the "DM has taken us as far as he can" camp. But it looks like the board will let him have a go at doing the massive rebuilding job that we face in the summer. Not convinced he will do any better than season but it is what it is. Biggest problem will be replacing McLean (DD will require a nurse to tepid sponge him). I hope to hell that isnt what Fergushun junior was signed to be...

Well, it somehow seemed we limped over the line for 2nd place. Undefeated and 3 wins & 2 draws after the split is probably our best ever effort.

Credit, where credit is due. Good win today, not sure if Vic Tim FC were that up for it, but good to beat them after 24 (I think) league defeats in a row at Pork Heid.

Well, it somehow seemed we limped over the line for 2nd place. Undefeated and 3 wins & 2 draws after the split is probably our best ever effort.

Credit, where credit is due. Good win today, not sure if Vic Tim FC were that up for it, but good to beat them after 24 (I think) league defeats in a row at Pork Heid.

As discussed elsewhere on the board, if not this threat, if finishing second by going unbeaten against the best teams in the league and sealing it in style by beating the champions in their own midden on the last day is limping, then who needs to be running  :thumbsup:

Honestly, don't think we could have done much better. 11 from 15 when you consider we hadn't taken a point from either of the old firm, we had struggled against Hearts, and His were on form. Hopefully DM learns from the approach these last 5 games, particularly from the old firm matches.

Happy to have been proved wrong on this. Credit where credit is due.  Undefeated post split is not something many can boast about.  Nice to see us not limp across the line, although, where was that level of effort before?  All if's and but's I know.  This summer is huge.

Have to say Cosgrove has made a difference in how we can approach these games. He seems to get up well for the long clearances i.e. not giving away free kicks. Is giving us something extra when defending set pieces. And is unselfishlessly linking play when we are on top. Give him a preseason and next season to increase his confidence and he could be a big player for us.

Finished with 4th Best Attack (after Sevco, Tic & Brazil 1970) and 2nd Best defence (after the Tic)

Scored 18 fewer goals (Dingus being punted by Motherwell didnt help  :wave: ) and conceded 2 more than last season.

For the other clubs the tic ended up scoring 33 goals less than last season. Here's to that trend continuing

Have to say Cosgrove has made a difference in how we can approach these games. He seems to get up well for the long clearances i.e. not giving away free kicks. Is giving us something extra when defending set pieces. And is unselfishlessly linking play when we are on top. Give him a preseason and next season to increase his confidence and he could be a big player for us.

Cosgrove doing very well, strong in the air & will win a lot of knockdowns but imo needs to play alongside another striker, very raw but strong loon.