Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

sevco v Dons

Been here 5 years.  Comes up short in the really big games every time.  Probably not going to touch the Dhims, but qualifying for the Europa group stages should be achievable, but these pesky big games get in the way.

Never mind we're about to spunk millions on a shiny new stadium.  Can't see things improving, sorry.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't actually said it before but it's time we got rid of McInnes.

I dont think that is the worst suggestion. If we did then it has to be Jack Ross to replace him. Maybe Scotland will do our board a favour and offer DM their vacancy and get us a nice wedge of compo into the bargain....

Pretty disappointing. I'd have picked the same team (assuming Arnason wasn't fit, but he's been fairly average this season anyway). O'Connor was pish though. The number of times a player ran across him and he allowed them to shoot was criminal. Ball actually played okay when he came on, which was weird, and we created a few chances late in the game. Stewart, GMS and Christie were pap, and Rooney offered absolutely nothing to bring them all together - like May did very well against Hibs recently. That, for me, is the most important part of the pitch in these "bigger" games against better teams, and it's costing us. Rooney works hard, but when he's tracking back, then he's miles away from getting back in the box again and too slow to get involved. Against better teams (and the huns are one of the better teams) who pass it around a bit, he gets dragged into these wasteful positions for most of the games and he's not only rendered completely ineffective, but the opposition also get the time and confidence to build from the back. We had to address the striker issue before this game. We know that Rooney's style doesn't work when we don't have the majority of possession. McInnes knows this, hence why even Stockley got so much game time against the top 3-4. We also know that May is struggling for fitness. Most importantly, we also know that looking to the bench and seeing Maynard was fucking depressing. He performs no function whatsoever, so he should have been removed. At least when we had Magennis you know he could be a battering ram. Stockley you could punt the ball at and hope something got knocked down and Storey might force a defender into mistaking him for a footballer and making a mistake. We needed that third option fae the bench to draw the game up the pitch and it wasn't there. It's been obvious from the start of last season and it hasn't been addressed.

v the OF:

P28 W6 D0 L22

Defend that McInnes. 

Team was far too deep. The three who were supposed to be behind Rooney left him isolated and invited the hun on to us, leaving them with far too much space to play in.

Then when they came at us, Considine and Logan were tucked in offering us no defensive width at all.  If one was doing it I'd think it was poor positional play by the player himself, both of them doing it makes it look as though it was on instruction.  it killed us.

Shinnie had his worst game for us tonight. GMS predictably went into his shell. Stewart will never fit into a McInnes team. Christie had a mare. McLean huffed and puffed. Rooney had nothing to go on.  McKenna was passable, O'Connor horrible.  Lewis shaky.

That's an unfortunate night right there.  Could McInnes defend any of that?

For the fourth time this season, I left the ground early tonight.  Hate doing it. But I hate standing watching AFC offer fuckall.  Before this season I don't think I've ever left the ground as many as four times in one season, and that's in more than 30 years of going to matches.  But we're supposed to be thankful McInnes turned down the huns?

Welcome to leave any time he likes, but unfortunately we'll be stuck with him because no one will touch him with that big game record.

And to top the night, the half time footage on the big screen of Craig Brown and Duncan Skinner with the huns board and their "Loving Cup" ceremony...why we had to oblige them in that I don't know but it shows the lack of back bone we have at that club.

v the OF:

P28 W6 D0 L22

Defend that McInnes. 

Team was far too deep. The three who were supposed to be behind Rooney left him isolated and invited the hun on to us, leaving them with far too much space to play in.

Then when they came at us, Considine and Logan were tucked in offering us no defensive width at all.  If one was doing it I'd think it was poor positional play by the player himself, both of them doing it makes it look as though it was on instruction.  it killed us.

Shinnie had his worst game for us tonight. GMS predictably went into his shell. Stewart will never fit into a McInnes team. Christie had a mare. McLean huffed and puffed. Rooney had nothing to go on.  McKenna was passable, O'Connor horrible.  Lewis shaky.

That's an unfortunate night right there.  Could McInnes defend any of that?

For the fourth time this season, I left the ground early tonight.  Hate doing it. But I hate standing watching AFC offer fuckall.  Before this season I don't think I've ever left the ground as many as four times in one season, and that's in more than 30 years of going to matches.  But we're supposed to be thankful McInnes turned down the huns?

Welcome to leave any time he likes, but unfortunately we'll be stuck with him because no one will touch him with that big game record.

And to top the night, the half time footage on the big screen of Craig Brown and Duncan Skinner with the huns board and their "Loving Cup" ceremony...why we had to oblige them in that I don't know but it shows the lack of back bone we have at that club.

There’s no such thing as defensive width. You want a defense to be compact, allowing no penetration between defenders - space there results in scoring chances as these spaces are more central than wide.You allow the space wide which is away from goal and less dangerous but need to be prepared to potentially defend crosses. Since I didn’t see the game that’s one area it sounds like we got right, not sure there were any others.

Bobby, you're a good analyst. I've been a prick to you in the past but forgive me, I've been a cunt to most.

I don't agree on our CB's. I thought McKenna was more than passable and I didn't see AOC as horrible. I do think he's horrible - and specifically has been horribly mismanaged - but I didn't see that as a fair description of him tonight. I'm not even sure it was a penalty actually. Who took the diving cunt down? It certainly looked like a pen but I didn't see the obvious contact neither from AOC nor Lewis.

I also think Lewis is getting a hard press. Somebody said during the match he was shaky against the OF. I think that's unfair. The incident he referred to was when back pedalling, he got a touch on it but Morelos fucked up (again). Unless the defender is screaming my ball, Lewis did fuck all wrong.

There’s no such thing as defensive width.

Semantics. Linguistics. Communication in concepts.

The room Candeias got given on the right wing in the first half by Considine not marking neither space nor man was totally mental. Bambi is not that unintelligent a footballer - but getting so bad under this midget cunt of a manager - to have been that switched off.

What we lacked was "defensive width", no doubt. Not that I've ever heard nor used that term before.

There’s no such thing as defensive width. You want a defense to be compact, allowing no penetration between defenders - space there results in scoring chances as these spaces are more central than wide.You allow the space wide which is away from goal and less dangerous but need to be prepared to potentially defend crosses. Since I didn’t see the game that’s one area it sounds like we got right, not sure there were any others.

Full backs should not be on top of their cbs. Considine at one point tonight was no more than 5 yards from McKenna but the hun was on the touchline. Fair enough you can expect GMS to have provided better cover but he didnt, therefore Consi had to be further away from McKenna but not right on top of the hun. You may not call it what i called it, but it was a huge downfall tonight. Both fbs are missing the defensive work McGinn and Hayes offered for years.

RS - no worries. I feel Joe doesnt seem to have the same presence this season which is really where my concerns are with him.

Looked like McKenna didnt track the run at the backpost for the first but maybe not, would need a better view of it.

Another shite night at the bastard garden, roll on Saturday.

Looked like McKenna didnt track the run at the backpost for the first but maybe not, would need a better view of it.

I would also need another look but between Logan at RB and our CB's, it was a hoorin amount of space to be leaving and not for the first time. It was a shambolic performance all round and now that you've mentioned it, I think you're right, there must be some rational explanation for it, like shit instruction.

The biggest crime for the first goal was Considine not being anywhere near Candeias, once again. It was just bizarre.

Full backs should not be on top of their cbs. Considine at one point tonight was no more than 5 yards from McKenna but the hun was on the touchline. Fair enough you can expect GMS to have provided better cover but he didnt, therefore Consi had to be further away from McKenna but not right on top of the hun. You may not call it what i called it, but it was a huge downfall tonight. Both fbs are missing the defensive work McGinn and Hayes offered for years.

RS - no worries. I feel Joe doesnt seem to have the same presence this season which is really where my concerns are with him.

Another shite night at the bastard garden, roll on Saturday.

I think the better explanation may be that we have a shit left back. He probably doesn’t want to get caught out wider or isolated because he’ll get skinned for pace. That’s happened far too often in the past as we all know.

I’m a huge supporter of Shinnie in midfield but thats mainly due to the shit central midfield options we have. Another booking and another suspension doesn’t help us. DM hasn’t signed one good central midfielder since he joined the club. I’ve bitched about that for years and my dead horse has taken almost as much of a beating as our friend telling us Maynard is as good as Harry Kane. I don’t think I’m out there saying this, I think it’s blatantly obvious center mid is an issue. I’m really torn between a new left back and Shinnie going back there but left back and center mid area huge problem areas needing addressed. Then again so is a central defender to partner McKenna, a center forward, and a right back since Shay turned into shit.

DMs record against the old firm is awful. These are not one off games. It’s no fluke and not unlucky and not just a bad day. Other than the Scottish cup final and the 2-1 ibrox win I cannot recall a good performance against the old firm. One of the  first things Fergie realized was that you had to beat these guys, wtf Derek McInnes. I’d love to hear an explanation.

LA, trust me, Shinnie's not that good in midfield. He's a far better LB than he is anywhere else.

I agree McInnes has never recruited an excellent midfielder. Shinnie is just getting played there cos he's a better than average footballer and of course he loves the responsibility and greater involvement. This is all management failing.

LA, trust me, Shinnie's not that good in midfield. He's a far better LB than he is anywhere else.

I agree McInnes has never recruited an excellent midfielder. Shinnie is just getting played there cos he's a better than average footballer and of course he loves the responsibility and greater involvement. This is all management failing.

I tend to agree with you but we badly need him in midfield which really tells us how shite the rest have been. It’s a reflection of how shit our league has been since we’ve been shit in central defense, center mid, and our star goal scorer is very limited. Hearts and Rangers have improved now and the pressure is definitely on McInnes to sign quality. We need the quality signings because he’s proven his tactics are shit against the top teams. I think wiggy is proud that we’re not shit anymore and will stand by his man, but DM is being found out.

If Arnason and McGinn werent 100% fit,then the team selection probably wasnt far from the best we could manage.But to not manage to lay a glove on them,again, is shite.For so many players to not be at the races in one game is a poor show.

Either we dont have enough players with bottle,or McInnes isnt giving them enough reason/tactics to believe they can beat the OF. Even if the OF players are better overall,we must be able to get more out of what weve got in these games,eg see the difference Levein has made in a short space.Not advocating his style of football,but it shows how quickly a mindset can be changed.Maybe Deek just doesnt understand enough about the mental side of the game

Not advocating McInnes out,just waiting/hoping for him to reach a point where he says,enough of this shite,lets try this,ie something more innovative,or risky

I didn't take any interest in last nights game as I knew the outcome would be defeat, but still not great reading the scoreline this morning. I then hear that Mark E Smith has died which has made today a shit day already and just after 7 am.

We just have to accept that with McInnes as our manager we will never stand up to either of the cheeks. As long as we make a good showing against the other 9 teams in our division then that is the best we can hope for.

I keep thinking of the 1960s comedy sketch about class, the one with Cleese, Corbett and Barker when I think about our approach to Celtic and Rangers.

Not advocating McInnes out, just waiting/hoping for him to reach a point where he says, enough of this shite, let's try this i.e. something more innovative or risky.

After 4 or 5 years now, I don't think the leopard is going to be changing its stripes.

It's not innovation or risk in my opinion. He just doesn't know.

McInnes is not a very good manager. The stupid cunt has changed the defensive partnerships so often - every single season - it's like he's gambling continuously to try and find something that works. He doesn't understand that sometimes in life you need to make a decision, invest in it and let it bear fruit. If it's obviously a bad decision, change course but not every fucking week.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

v the OF:

P28 W6 D0 L22

Defend that McInnes. 

Not saying you are wrong BB but think these statistics require a bit of balance and perspective.

21 of these games were against Celtic.  Since the 2013-14 season, Celtic have played 175 league games and lost 10.  Therefore, everyone has a crap record against them.

Of the other 7 games, we have won 2 and lost 5 which yes is a poor return but you can't write off McInnes' fantastic record over 230 odd games as manager and slaughter him just because he has lost 5 of those games against rangers.

What a fucking embarrassment.

The way I see it is we have a tendency to start playing just as soon as the game looks like it's gone. Yesterday after we conceded the second we actually start playing and we made a few decent chances and definitely should have scored. This happens against Celtic and has also happened previously against Rangers when we go two or more goals down. This for me makes it seem like a mentality issue. As soon as the pressure is off the players start to play. Albeit not necessarily very well. We are a bunch of fucking pussies.

I hope it wasn't Lewis' decision to go off. He never looked seriously injured.

AoC can GTF. He's fucking lucky he's getting offered a new deal. If he doesn't want to sign it we can find another useless cunt who would sign it.

Rooney out wide

Rooney up front on his own

Shinnie in midfield

Shinnie left back

McGinn back

McGinn gone

Formations not right

DM with bad tactics

back 4 being changed around all the time

Players injured

McLean tracking back

McLean pressing up the park

Attacking the Huns

Sitting back from the Huns

DM playing his favourites

Mismanagement of players

Etc etc

It all means nothing when you don't have good enough players which we clearly haven't.

Many fans here and other forums are as blindly loyal as DM is to duds not performing.

We need to appoint a recruitment manager or better scout.

Buy better players...find better players.

Take some gambles.

Look past the SPFL.

don't let our aspirations be the domestic cups ONLY.

Arrange better pre season friendlies.

The likes of Arbroath and Cowdenbeath or whoever won't make us a stronger team.

Try a 2 or 3 team tournament in Holland or something pre season.

Maybe it will attract some foreign players out of contract.Who knows?

And yes, take a gamble with some money.

Even just 1or 2 hundred thousand could've made a big difference to this season.

The man city lad is hopefully a great loan but we need about another 5 or 6 of those with the possibility to buy.(not from man city of course as we can't compete with youth wages nevermind first team)

We need an overhaul and Milne and co. need a plan to make fans realise there is a successful future with AFC.

At the moment the future is bleak and that's not just as a result of last night's game.