Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Christmas Presents

donsdaft

I also went to Ikea once, with the wife, and I hated it.

It wasn’t just the circuitous shopping route that was unbearable. She thought it would be a good idea to eat there and reckoned the Swedish meatballs were consumption-worthy. Looked like poor kwolity meat shite to me. Terrible day, made even more tragic by spending too much time in a car getting to and from.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also went to Ikea once, with the wife, and I hated it.

It wasn’t just the circuitous shopping route that was unbearable. She thought it would be a good idea to eat there and reckoned the Swedish meatballs were consumption-worthy. Looked like poor kwolity meat shite to me. Terrible day, made even more tragic by spending too much time in a car getting to and from.

I don’t get this. The Swedish meatballs are quite clearly shite but somehow we’re led to believe otherwise. IKEA are very clever though. Everyone has bought into the concept.

In the three or so minutes I was there, plus the ten minutes or so that it took to get out, I couldn't actually say I saw anything for sale.

Mrs Donsdaft can find stuff though, she says it's all set up as a bedroom or a kitchen or whatever.

I may be strange here but I don't like to rake around in someone's bedroom, wanting their stuff.

Anyway, I would love to hate their stuff and believe me I can bear a grudge so I'm perfectly capable of refusing to eat off one of their plates or whatever ( childish I know)

Their furniture holds no attraction for me but their kitchen gadgets are great.

Extremely well designed, if I use something new and I think it's good it probably comes from Ikea.

No real travelling here because it's at the end of one of the metro lines but I'm never EVER going back.

Mrs Donsdaft likes the meatballs too

It's eating Rhudolf isn't it?

Just back from the ballet.

My Christmas present to me.

Beautiful beyond description.

Wow. Didn’t have you down as a ballet champion.

Ballet Champ was the name of a horse that won a race in the early to middle 80’s. Doubled with Steeple Bell, it returned us £468 for a £2 double. We spent over a hundred of it that night treating some mates in some wine bar on Union St next to Bruce Millers, oddly enough, an establishment we’d never frequented before or since.

I wouldn’t even like to hear you explain what’s so good about that particular performance art. Only because I know my mind is so closed and fixed on the subject I could never understand.

I do find my distaste for the ballet and the opera to be a big contradiction. As a champion of the growth mindset and as someone who has the courage to change his convictions, it surprises me how I’m not even able to see the attraction. I know this is a failing on my part. I particularly admire the huge effort they put in to perfect their crafts.

It's probably because we're brought up to think of it as posh and not for the likes of us.

You can break down most of these taboos but some are bound to remain.

Great mixed audience over here for this kind of stuff, ballet can be a working mans sport.

I put on a shirt instead of my rugby jersey but that's about it.

You'll see folk in jeans and jimmies and folk wearing tiaras, makes no difference.

Of course at the nutcracker there's a fair amout of kids, little girls all dressed up, all exited about Christmas Eve.

I like it.

It's probably because we're brought up to think of it as posh and not for the likes of us.

You can break down most of these taboos but some are bound to remain.

No that’s not it in my case. I love art and go to the Royal Academy every year although I guess art is also enjoyed by all so is therefore also class-less in that regard. It would be extremely disingenuous to suggest that another fails to appreciate something by overly associating it with class. That would be to deny the truth that there are exceptions to every rule.

When I first started coming to Budapest ( 10 years now) my mother was amazed at me going to the opera.

She was round for Sunday Dinner.

" Imagine you liking scraching wifies" she said " well of course it's in the family"

Now none of my family could hold a tune enough to make a good job of singing Happy Birthday but I did have a vague memory of something being mentioned before.

" Oh aye, your granda's cousin, well it's his middle name, these Yorkshire puddings are lovely"

Turns out that who she was taliking about was Isobel Baillie ( my granda's middle name wasn't Isobel)

I'd never heard of her so looked her up.

Turns out she was the first Brit to play Madison Square Garden .

Scraching wifies indeed.

My mother was always coming out with stuff like that.