Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Greg Stewart

He certainly would have been a better acquisition than Forrester. And would have been free. To be fair to him he did look decent in the last couple of months of last season when he had perhaps lost half a stone of the bulk he carried when he first signed. Killie have got the rest off and now he looks a good piece of business but he's only there on loan for the season so we could get him on a pre contract in January.

Greg Stewart is a cracking player, and one I was desperate for AFC to use correctly.

But we never. And we can say he was unfit (he was), and we can say he was underwhelming at times (he was), but the manager never played him in his proper position. What that could have done for Stevie May or Adam Rooney... but the boss didn't want to compromise his system.

So why sign him?

• 6 months later...

I dare say he might do well at der Hun on the odd occasion he would get selected. For them, he would be a reasonably cheap option to have on the bench and bring on late in games when he might just be useful against a tiring defence. Couldn't see him starting more than 10 games a season there though....maybe even less. He would be joining the club he supports though and would probably get his Birmingham wages at least matched. Don't think he would give a flying f@ck if he wasn't getting played as long as he was picking up the wonga each week.

EDIT.......just read the article in the Sunday Mail. "he won't be short of options, especially north of the border when his contract runs out on 30th June".........

Aye clubs were just queuing up to snap him up when Birmingham were willing to free him prior to us getting him on loan the first time. The article reads like a desperate attempt by his agent to drum up some interest by linking him with sevco. It says they want to sign him after his contract runs out. Well why not get him on a pre-contract right now?

He will move there no doubt, Stewart looking a shadow of the player he was at Killie or Dundee, anonymous again yesterday.  Seems to be D.M seems to be able to stifle anyones abilities.

They will get the best out of him no doubt.

As things stand at the moment, we look as though we are going to be losing at least 4 of our better players in Summer in Stewart,G.M.S, McKenna & Shinnie. :

:

Think I need to accept that it won't work out for him whilst he's here as well. Was delighted when we signed him, because it finally meant we benched the fraud that is Stevie May, and whilst Stewart is clearly a far better player, as his time at Dundee and Kilmarnock proved, it just doesn't work here, we are not getting the best out of him, but it is for various reasons, including the manager not getting the most out of him.

He wanted to come back here, he was disappointed in himself last stint he had here and I respect that. I believe he appreciates the size of the club and the expectation that comes with that. I think a sustained run in the 10 position would benefit him, as opposed to being papped out wide, but it's not coming.

I think it's a stretch that Rangers would be interested in him, I personally don't believe it, if I was him, I'd go back to Killie where he was clearly happy, clearly enjoying playing under the manager there and was adored by their fans, no brainer really.

I think there is a good player in Stewart and he proved it at Killie, but he must regret coming back up here.

The even sadder thing is I thought KIllie would be considerably weaker with losing him and although the didn't win for a few games they haven't missed him half as much as I thought they would.

On further investigation ( pissing myself laughing at the meltdown on sevco media  :laughing:) there's a thread started last night on Stewart.

Seems the source of the rumour is a guy on a lesser known sevco fan site ("4 men had a dream"  :dunno:) who is ITK and been told it is a done deal. Shinnie to sevco was supposedly a done deal 2 months ago on sevco media....

Anyway general orc consensus is they're a bit underwhelmed to say the least. I'd personally chauffeur him to Ibrokes if there was any chance of this being remotely a goer....purely to prevent McInnes sticking a 3 year deal under his nose.....sevco do the right thing and get this dud signed up!

On further investigation ( pissing myself laughing at the meltdown on sevco media  :laughing:) there's a thread started last night on Stewart.

Seems the source of the rumour is a guy on a lesser known sevco fan site ("4 men had a dream"  :dunno:) who is ITK and been told it is a done deal. Shinnie to sevco was supposedly a done deal 2 months ago on sevco media....

Anyway general orc consensus is they're a bit underwhelmed to say the least. I'd personally chauffeur him to Ibrokes if there was any chance of this being remotely a goer....purely to prevent McInnes sticking a 3 year deal under his nose.....sevco do the right thing and get this dud signed up!

I don't agree that he's a dud. In this instance the dud is our manager. Stewart is clearly a decent footballer (which is more than you can say for much of our squad) and yet he's continually ineffectual for us when he was almost prolific for a Killie team who most people would say is poorer than our team. The difference is the manager.

He could easily do well at Ibrox and would almost certainly bite us on the arse sooner or later. I'm nae saying he should get a new deal with us unless we can play to his strengths.

I don't agree that he's a dud. In this instance the dud is our manager. Stewart is clearly a decent footballer (which is more than you can say for much of our squad) and yet he's continually ineffectual for us when he was almost prolific for a Killie team who most people would say is poorer than our team. The difference is the manager.

He could easily do well at Ibrox and would almost certainly bite us on the arse sooner or later. I'm nae saying he should get a new deal with us unless we can play to his strengths.

He doesn't fit our system. We knew that from his first spell ( when he was also horrendously unfit). McInnes doesn't do "luxury" players who have to track back, tackle, close down space etc. And a luxury player is exactly what Stewart is...

But.....he is also very much a one trick pony. His right foot is for standing on only. And it doesn't even do that very well. On his left foot....he is decentbut no more than that. Defenders know that he will always cut inside when he is on the right side of the pitch or head for the bye line on the left side. Allied to the fact he is slower than a wet weekend in Airdrie.....he should be nowhere near Pittodrie,

That he looked good in a Dundee side that was absolutely honking is no great surprise. Same at Killie, albeit Killie are a bit better than the Dundee side due to having a better manager. Both allowed Stewart to be the luxury player, no defensive duties required as the other 9 players in either side were essentially athletes able to run all day but with limited footballing ability.

Our luxury player is Cosgrove (Wilson is another but his game time is minimal at best). We cannot afford a second/third in Stewart. As I've said before....this guy has been available on a free transfer from Birmingham the past 2 summers. No one bit. Only Killie and us have showed the slightest interest, but not enough to sign him on a permanent contract (I do understand taking him on loan saves loads on wages.....but Killie, where he did fit in, lost him due to us being willing to stump up a higher proportion in subsidising his wages).  I'm certain the sevco link is a pile of poop. There are rumours DM has offered Stewart a permanent deal with us. I hope they are untrue because I honestly cannot see many clubs, if any, clamouring to sign him once he becomes a free agent in July. Killie probably would but he would be taking a hit of at least 50% on his Birmingham wage to go there.

Ok I will repeat just for you...

DM requires his players to track back, to press the opposition to put in tackles when we are not in possession.

Stewart cannot do this. Ever.

I have described him as a "luxury" player. We already have one such player in Cosgrove, who in general is excused from the donkey work I have described further up the page (even he actually does try to do a bit, but his size and mobility make it a bit of a stretch to say that he does it with any great effect). We cannot afford 2 luxury players in the same side.

And.........Stewart is just nae very good. He had a decent half season with Kilmarnock where, as their luxury player, was excused all donkey work. Ditto in his time at Dundee. His time with us and Birmingham....far bigger clubs......have shown him up for what he is. A totally one footed,  horrendously slow, one trick pony with a moderate talent for taking free kicks (but a shite talent for taking corner kicks). All in all.....a poor man's Ian Angus

And I have absolutely no doubt McInnes will offer him a permanent contract..... :hammer:

Ok I will repeat just for you...

DM requires his players to track back, to press the opposition to put in tackles when we are not in possession.

Stewart cannot do this. Ever.

I have described him as a "luxury" player. We already have one such player in Cosgrove, who in general is excused from the donkey work I have described further up the page (even he actually does try to do a bit, but his size and mobility make it a bit of a stretch to say that he does it with any great effect). We cannot afford 2 luxury players in the same side.

And.........Stewart is just nae very good. He had a decent half season with Kilmarnock where, as their luxury player, was excused all donkey work. Ditto in his time at Dundee. His time with us and Birmingham....far bigger clubs......have shown him up for what he is. A totally one footed,  horrendously slow, one trick pony with a moderate talent for taking free kicks (but a shite talent for taking corner kicks). All in all.....a poor man's Ian Angus

And I have absolutely no doubt McInnes will offer him a permanent contract..... :hammer:

So the "system" that Stewart doesn't fit is that McInnes expects footballers not in possession to defend?

And you say that his system allows for only one player to not defend?

Are you saying that Clarke also has the same system as McInnes but that Stewart was the footballer excused from defending?

The goal where he hit a shot with his right that rebounded off the Killie defender straight to McGinn?

I was right behind it in the RDS lower. The keeper had his shot covered, I've not watched the highlights of the game yet as I didn't get home till 11.45 but his shot to me didn't even look that well struck. But as I said in the match thread....I do concede when he replaced young Campbell we instantly looked a bigger threat. (up to that point Campbell had been the sitting midfielder with Shinnie advanced. After the substitution, Shinnie dropped a bit deeper to allow Stewart to play the advanced role).