Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons - Apollon Limassol - Thursday - 745

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-1 at home is not a great result in Europe. Or rather it's a decent result if you are the losing team going into a home leg.  They could try to play on the break and nick a goal but can't see us not scoring over there. Will be hot though 35-40 in the day at he minute and humid.

Was always going to be tight.  Must go over to Cyprus with attacking intent as they are very comfortable on the ball.

Until the Argentine guy was sent off they were controlling it or at least looking more dangerous - same v Siroki.  Sending off changed it.

We won't play teams with that quality of passing and movement in the SPL.

Have to be optimistic. If we keep them out then we are through - this could easily have ended up 1-2 them.

Pleased - great attitude, good goals, good optimism in the forward play with all goals coming from midfield.

If we go out not much we can beat ourselves up about so far. We gave it a good go as they are decent.

2-1 at home is not a great result in Europe. Or rather it's a decent result if you are the losing team going into a home leg.  They could try to play on the break and nick a goal but can't see us not scoring over there. Will be hot though 35-40 in the day at he minute and humid.

We WILL score out there! Aye, take your point about the heat. But, I feel, we have the ability in the team to win out there. I honestly, do!

Perhaps I'm drunk but they looked very similar to our previous opponent. In fact I thought we struggled more at home in the previous round. Other than their goal their threat came from our mistakes. I expected more from them. We were shit in second half and can definitely play better and don't see why we cannot go there and get a draw or a win.

I will add that we are not the best attacking team in Europe.  Games like tonight when it's on us to win and win well usually don't produce our best performance. It's usually been the tough counter attacking style / under pressure to get a result that we've played well and that's the requirement next week.

I'm optimistic!

Perhaps I'm drunk but they looked very similar to our previous opponent. In fact I thought we struggled more at home in the previous round. Other than their goal their threat came from our mistakes. I expected more from them. We were shit in second half and can definitely play better and don't see why we cannot go there and get a draw or a win.

Think yer drunk. They were a good team like. We didn't give them a moment's peace for large parts of that game. The moments we did, they moved it quickly and very well. The boy's cross for their goal was top drawer.

Need to keep it tight over there, I'd consider keeping the back five that slowly got us back in the game.

Some fantastic performances tonight, the front three of GMS, Christie and Stewart fantastic in the first half, McLean and O'Connor coming onto very good games in the last twenty. Consi and Lewis solid as always, with Arneson, Wright and Stockley decent enough from the bench. Shinnie, however, was fucking immense. That's a captain's performance. The very harsh booking didn't stop him for one minute, he covered the entire pitch and capped it with a peach.

Only one poor performance tonight for me, and that was Maynard. Way off the pace, breathing out his airse. I'm hoping that tiredness was the only reason he appeared unable to control a ball or play football in any way at all. He was Storey bad tonight. That position gives us a big dilemma at the moment. I think it could be the difference between us going through and not. Rooney still the best at the club. 

Decent enough in the end, some good football at times.

Christie and Shinnie were very good.

Crosses in to the box were poor on the whole.

Don't rate Stockley at all, if being awkward to play against is his best attribute I would prefer we got rid.

Anyways all to play for.

Just back -  They were good at times,but not as good as I thought theyd be.Tidy going forward,but goal aside they didnt create too much,and when they did,it was often a result of bad decisions from us.

There were some good signs from us in the forward areas,some spells of clever play,and some untidy/dodgy moments in defence and midfield,hopefully improve in all areas as we go.Despite Maynards performance,I think we can get more from him,maybe he was trying too hard? Saying that,I wouldnt be averse to dropping all the recognised strikers and bring in Wright to the line up instead.We were more dangerous when we we're moving the ball about quickly,on the deck

Agree with Ladettes comment about the atmosphere,for what was at stake,we could have cranked it up(myself included) more in the quieter spells. 

Tasty battle to look forward to though. COYR

Think yer drunk. They were a good team like. We didn't give them a moment's peace for large parts of that game. The moments we did, they moved it quickly and very well. The boy's cross for their goal was top drawer.

Need to keep it tight over there, I'd consider keeping the back five that slowly got us back in the game.

Some fantastic performances tonight, the front three of GMS, Christie and Stewart fantastic in the first half, McLean and O'Connor coming onto very good games in the last twenty. Consi and Lewis solid as always, with Arneson, Wright and Stockley decent enough from the bench. Shinnie, however, was fucking immense. That's a captain's performance. The very harsh booking didn't stop him for one minute, he covered the entire pitch and capped it with a peach.

Only one poor performance tonight for me, and that was Maynard. Way off the pace, breathing out his airse. I'm hoping that tiredness was the only reason he appeared unable to control a ball or play football in any way at all. He was Storey bad tonight. That position gives us a big dilemma at the moment. I think it could be the difference between us going through and not. Rooney still the best at the club.

In regards to moving the ball quickly and very well, you can say that of the majority, if not all teams playing in this round if you gave them time and space. We couldn't keep up the first half pace and they came into the game. But where did they move the ball quickly and very well? I recall Lewis having one save (high ball above his head) and another mini goalmouth scramble but I didn't think they caused us a great deal of trouble. We kept them infront of the back 4 and they had very few shooting and scoring chances. I thought Siroki caused us more trouble at Pittodrie and I was more nervous of us going to Bosnia than I am of us going to Cyprus. Of all the teams we're played in the 3rd round these guys are the weakest and we have a great chance of progressing.

Thought we had many good performances. Stewart isn't fully fit though, you can see that. GMS was full of running but still lacks match sharpness but I was also impressed that both track back....but still struggle to get up and down all game which will come. Also impressed that GMS will tackle, that was a criticism of him. We also have to recognize that our front 4 of GMS, Christie, Stewart, and Maynard have rarely played together so tough to criticize. However, I don't see a great deal from Maynard as I said in the transfers post. We need a centre forward and maybe we see Moult coming in after we finish in Europe (or before the group stage hopefully!) rather than trying to add another forward in the middle of everything.

The cash we have made from the 2 Euro gates so far will pay for Moult. Rooneys thigh has gone again, Deek said out for 2 weeks but last time it went it ended his season resulting in the Church loan.

Maynard....I was a bit meh when he signed and nothing so far has changed that opinion. Maybe a few weeks more training and getting to know the system might help but my gut feeling is he past his peak by quite a bit.

If we get through to the next round ( i believe we will need to score  there to do so) we are going to need a far better striker on board to face the quality of opposition we are likely to face. Stockley is no more than a sub to change our style if things are going badly looking forward.

Splash the cash Wiggy...

Well, that was an emotional roller-coaster but we got what we deserved in the end, a win. I thought everyone played well today with standouts being Christie, Logan and Shinnie. Some of the football that was on show today was fucking amazing, best I have seen in person. The stuff Christie was doing at times was mental. I've asked this of topcorner, and I think he also agreed that he hadn't seem someone perform like that in person. A joy to watch and I really think we need to kidnap him at the end of the season.

Great to see the stadium full. Brilliant in fact. Shame that we went quiet after the goal which is what AL was alluding to. We tried to lift the fans in our area but everyone seemed to be in stunned silence despite everyone in the stadium knowing what was going to happen. Even mcinnes recognised it hence his subs, although unfortunately they scored before he could make them.

A lot of positives to take from that and we've all to plylay for over there. Keep it tight and compact, a score draw will do nicely.

Also, wtf were the officials doing, how the hell didn't they punish them for the foul throws, let alone their cheating???

Its going to be tough over there, i think we should of done alot better to be honest. But in deek we trust.

Don't get what deek sees in Stockley tho? Watching highlights from friendly games and I don't get why Storey is no getting a chance?

Anyway, Mr Ryan Christie! WOW, i like him alot.

This "foul throw " thing has been going on for years.

Fair enough, it's how we were taught to take a shy ( that's a word you don't hear often now) when we were kids but in this case it doesn't give them any advantage at all.

It's not like the ball goes pinging 100 yards with the technique.

This "foul throw " thing has been going on for years.

Fair enough, it's how we were taught to take a shy ( that's a word you don't hear often now) when we were kids but in this case it doesn't give them any advantage at all.

It's not like the ball goes pinging 100 yards with the technique.

Exactly. They just take them differently to us. Maybe one of them was a foul throw last night, but the majority weren't. Although I'm surprised we haven't adopted the technique in the UK, because bending yer heid forward allows you to direct the throw quickly to a player's feet as opposed to the loopy shite we've perfected, which gives the opposition time to close down and the player an awkward ball to take.