Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

On this day

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ, almost half a life time ago.

What a fucking day it was though :thumbsup:

Loved that day; my first Scottish Cup Final. Got a "Dutch Connection" t-shirt outside the ground before the game, mind the massive surge in the Dons end as Nicholas had a shot cleared off the line and then enduring the excruciating penalty shoot out, the save from Theo was as wonderful as the nerves were awful when we realised it was big Irvine who was tasked to win the cup for us, but he did it... fucking magic.

It's been far too long.

We played them 10 days before the final at Parkhead, Willie Miller's last PL game for us iirc, a somewhat makeshift side for the time...

3-1 (Jess 2, Graham Watson)

Snelders, McKimmie, D Robertson, Graham Watson, Irvine, Miller, C Robertson, Simpson, Booth, Jess, Cameron

A similar double this month will do nicely.

Jesus Christ, almost half a life time ago.

What a fucking day it was though :thumbsup:

My first final and I loved it, even though the game was fairly shite, but when Brian Irvine stuck away his pen.  8)

Happy days

I'd fancy the 1990 team to easily take the current Celtic team in a game.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

As well as the result here obviously there are some great things about watching old games, love the numbers 1 to 11 on the shirts with no names on the back, no sponsors on the shirts and the understated goal celebrations.

Hate so much of the modern game with a passion!

Will also remember that night till the day I die. Was 16 and studying for Highers less than a month away so listened on tranny in bedroom whilst trying to revise the nuances of electrical capacitance and impedance. Got a C for Physics so didnt really help that much. Was convinced we were out at 2-1 down, 20 minutes later i just knew our name was on the cup even with Real and Juve also in the semi's.

That team has never received the plaudits that the Lisbon Lions got or even the oldco Barcelona winners. Nothing will convince me otherwise that it was the best by far of those three teams.

That team has never received the plaudits that the Lisbon Lions got or even the oldco Barcelona winners.

Celtic I'll give you but you hear very little about the only team to receive a European trophy indoors. I think our lads do alright in terms of publicity these days - maybe not in the few years after Gothenburg, but that's maybe understandable. The enormity of achievements like that only tend to really sink in some time after the event.

I was very lucky to witness the era of the great Aberdeen Team of the 80's.

To watch these legends was something that will always be in my memory.

Still reckon what Aberdeen achieved then by winning TWO European trophies far eclipsed the trophies won by the Glasgow two.

And dont forget the many Cup Final wins and League titles.

Sorry for today's fans who never witnessed The Glory Years.

I was sat inside my flat all alone when Adam Rooney stroked home that winning penalty for our first bit of silverware in 19 years.  Probably the most relaxed I'd been as an Aberdeen supporter when penalties began.  Guess when you've lost your Mam aged fifty five to secondary Brain Cancer after a 56 day battle with said disease 11 months before Inverness Caledonian Thistle win the way one does look at football is changed forever.  Remember one's left arm and leg go into such an uncontrollable spasm moment we'd won Cup then looked upto ceiling with a;

"Thank You Mam!!!!"