Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Derek McInnes

Looks like Ian Holloway is to be announced as QPR boss.

If and when DM does leave us i also think Tommy Wright would do a sterling job for us. I'm not saying he's got a dazzling style of football about him but he most definitely installs a can do / winners mentality into his players.

I also wondered about Michael O'Neil the Norn Ireland boss.... he's done a cracking job there.

I wouldn't want big Eck, any time i've seen him on TV lately i've been left wondering wtf is going on with him.

McIntyre and Archibald would be less than inspiring but then again you could say the same about Deek, so you never know.

No.

Just no.

No.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to specify which man you consider to be uninspiring and stupid? There was quite a few mentioned in my post.

Saunier Boilers Company Hungarian service engineer.

An absolute cockwomble of a man who should never have been appointed in the first place.

His record of sourcing spare parts over the course of his tenure has been shocking.

I'm hearing rumours he is also regularly on the piss.

So expect to see him appointed Head of Internal Heating at Pittodrie by Xmas

Saunier Boilers Company Hungarian service engineer.

An absolute cockwomble of a man who should never have been appointed in the first place.

His record of sourcing spare parts over the course of his tenure has been shocking.

I'm hearing rumours he is also regularly on the piss.

So expect to see him appointed Head of Internal Heating at Pittodrie by Xmas

Ahhhhh... cheers for enlightening me Ten Caat.  :laughing:

No enthusiasm for McLeish.  Hibs fans and Motherwell fans I know were glad to see the back of him as bright starts petered out into mediocrity.  His reputation is for negative, functional fitba and his recent record is even more abysmal.

I'd be wary of Wright as well.  Sometimes a club's success isn't down to the manager.  Some clubs seem to go through periods where for few years there's a really good feel about the place and whoever gets appointed does well.  ICT were like that for a while, as were Motherwell.  We appointed Paterson, Brown and McGhee from these clubs and they didn't shine here.  Saints are another club who seem to be going though a period of  doing well no matter who's at the helm. I might be being unfair to Wright, but I just suspect it's a pretty easy gig in Perth just now.

I'm far from convinced Deek's departure is inevitable though.  Moderate Scottish success won't count for much down south, and his one stab in England didn't go well.  He's on the short list for the Scotland job according to the bookies, but he's not at the top of it, and rivals won't have a contract to buy out.  Besides,  even if offered it, would he want it?  He's still a young manager and it's a bit of a poisoned chalice, the job description involving sow's ears and purses.

Sevco would be a more serious threat, but I occasionally pop into Rangers Media for entertainment when they get some bad news or a shit result, and when the next manager is discussed they seem pretty lukewarm about Deek. A minority fancy him, but most are either hostile or unconvinced.  Sevco's first thought will always be, is this a name that puts bums on seats short term, and can we avoid paying compensation.  I'm not convinced Deek is their guy.  His main Hun-minded cheerleader seems to be Speirs, but Speirs is about as popular with the Orcs as a bacon sarnie at a Bar Mitzvah.

I'm not saying England, Scotland or Sevco couldn't come calling with a offer he can't refuse, but I still think it's long odds-on he'll be here for a while unless he does something spectacular, another trophy or two or beating a couple of clubs we've no right to beat in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/aberdeen-derek-mcinnes-offers/

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes has confirmed he snubbed offers from other clubs because he’s committed to bringing more success to the Dons.

McInnes has been linked with moves to several clubs south of the border since leading the Dons to glory in the 2014 League Cup final.

With his second final looming against Celtic at Hampden on Sunday, the 45-year-old claimed he stayed because he feels he has unfinished business with the Dons.

McInnes spoke of his “love” for the club and how much he enjoys working with Pittodrie chairman Stewart Milne.

The Dons directors are close to sealing a move to a new stadium and training complex at Kingsford.

McInnes wants to ensure the pace of success on the pitch matches the ambition being shown by the club off it, starting with winning the League Cup again on Sunday.

He said: “It would be naive to think you don’t get asked about you’re availability.

“Your agent gets calls when jobs become available but it’s quickly established how happy I am here.

“The chairman and I have a really strong working relationship  and I’m confident we still have more to do.

“The chairman knows that and he’s driving all the  off the field stuff at the moment, along with the rest of the board.

“I’m working hard to keep driving the football side of it.

“I want to leave here on the back of an era of being successful, rather than just talking about a League Cup win in 2014.

“It’s a brilliant club to work for, it’s everything I thought it would be.

“I genuinely love it here, I absolutely love coming to work every day.

“The chairman and his board deserve a lot of credit for that.

““I only want to work for a club that has ambition and Aberdeen have that.

“We’ve come from a place where we had been running with a heavy debt for a long period.

“It strangled what we could do.

“We are now debt free and have aspirations to get into a new training ground and stadium and are quickly making in-roads on that.

“There’s good work been done up until now and everyone deserves credit for that.

“But there’s still loads more to be done.

“We have a good thing going here.

“The plan on Sunday is to win another trophy.

“We believe we can win it.”

Hopefully it's not all talk but he does seem to genuinely love working for the club, which is refreshing. Here's hoping Sunday brings us another trophy.  ;D

There's a similar story on the BBC site today.  I suspect this is a sensible bit of preemptive action to head off one avenue of attempts to unsettle the team pre-cup final day.

Between this and the way the ticket split was handled, i'd say the club is getting a bit sharper at handling the media on these occasions.

Really don't understand why you wouldn't want Wright

Just because he's had a few good results against us and he's done OK in an OK league that doesnt make him any good.

He's an average manager with no real drive. Bores the fuck out of me during interviews, cries when things go against him and generally comes over as a soor faced cunt. Had enough of that type at the helm.

Just because he's had a few good results against us and he's done OK in an OK league that doesnt make him any good.

He's an average manager with no real drive. Bores the fuck out of me during interviews, cries when things go against him and generally comes over as a soor faced cunt. Had enough of that type at the helm.

The Dons can be a turgid watch at times, but St Johnstone are even worse in that respect.  Wright has done well at St J, but I don't think he'd be the right man for us when that time comes.

The Dons can be a turgid watch at times, but St Johnstone are even worse in that respect.  Wright has done well at St J, but I don't think he'd be the right man for us when that time comes.

Aye the sit in and counter pish we look to play does get a bit dull when there's no countering but we pass and play a lot more than we have in years. Arsed taking someone like Wright and him bringing in a load of hatchet men.

I'd rather we went for a manager that was young, driven and wanted to play passing attacking football.

Back on subject matter, Derek himself, nice article on BBC Scotland website. Anyone listen to his interview on Tuesday evening and got anything to add to this  ???

Success comes in many forms in football. Three points, winning runs, clean sheets, player sales…

Trophies are more tangible and Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes has the chance of delivering his second in three years in the League Cup final against Celtic on Sunday.

There's more to it than that, though. Progress also represents success.

The former St Johnstone and Bristol City manager believes he has achieved that since taking charge at Pittordrie three-and-a-half years ago.

"I was well aware of what the club and city was capable of being," he told Sportsound in an interview broadcast on BBC Radio Scotland on Tuesday.

"We looked way short of that to be honest.

"I wanted the supporters to wake up on a Saturday morning and really look forward to coming to the game. Not just coming through duty or loyalty.

Aberdeen are second in the Premiership, having been runners-up in the past two seasons

"Supporters were right to question why other clubs had picked up trophies and cups. Why shouldn't Aberdeen be one of them?

"I wanted to work for a club that had that demand and pressure to deliver.

"If somebody had said to me on day one this is where we would be with the current team, a team that's met the demand to get regular European football, to win a trophy, to be 90 minutes from another trophy, to push Celtic when we really shouldn't have any chance given the vast difference in resources - I'm happy."

McInnes is also adamant he is content at Pittodrie for the long term, though admits indirect approaches have been made to lure him elsewhere. Progress attracts interest.

"It'd be naïve to think that you don't get asked about availability but the chairman and I have a real strong working relationship," the 45-year-old explained.

"I want to leave here on the back of an era of being successful rather than just talking about a League Cup that we won in 2014.

"I want to say that same message to my players as well. I want them to leave on the back of being international players here, winning trophies here.

"I want this to be a difficult place to leave. At this moment in time I could not be happier.

Celtic have beaten Aberdeen twice in the league this season

"We have a good thing going here. It's everything I thought it would be but I still feel we've got more to come."

There's been a burden on each and every Aberdeen manager since Sir Alex Ferguson's glorious reign delivered league titles and the European Cup Winners' Cup.

The landscape has changed significantly, though. Celtic are streets ahead financially now. That alone makes it almost impossible to mount a sustainable title challenge.

Recently, Aberdeen have been the only side with any chance of toppling Celtic, a task that has proved out of reach.

Cup football is different. Aberdeen are underdogs on Sunday against a domestically-dominant Celtic under Brendan Rodgers but the one-off nature of a final encourages the Dons manager.

"We believe we can win it," added McInnes. "We won't be fazed by the game. We're well aware of the strength of our opponent.

"We're well aware that we're underdogs. We're well aware that nobody out-with our club expects us to be anything other than runners-up but we go there to win the trophy.

"While there's been a downturn in the business side of it in Aberdeen and a lot of unemployment over the last couple of years, the football club has tried to keep driving some positivity. I think we've done that in the main.

"Hopefully, there's an even bigger buzz and feel-good factor about the place next week."

I listened to it yesterday, you can tell from the way he speaks he's got a lot of love for the club and really enjoys his job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04hf03g#play

Just listened to it (link above).

He really is a very articulate man.

Few things stood out for me in the interview.

Forgot just the size of clearout he had when he first took over.

Loved the phrases "couldn't be happier" "difficult place to leave" "great place to be" and "so many good things going on"

Also seems to praise Milne very highly (Rocket won't like that). Could it be that after twenty years of fuck ups Stewarty is at last running the club better  ???

P.S start lstening from about the 27 minute mark

Loved the phrases "couldn't be happier" "difficult place to leave" "great place to be" and "so many good things going on"

Also seems to praise Milne very highly (Rocket won't like that). Could it be that after twenty years of fuck ups Stewarty is at last running the club better  ???

Well. That wouldn't be very difficult ;)

P.S start lstening from about the 27 minute mark

Absolutely loved listening to this interview!

:AFC: