Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

U20s Vs Dunfermline

3-1 win before the youth Dons lifted the league trophy.  A very enjoyable night in a freezing but packed Main Stand.

The first noticable thing, this being the first time I've managed to see the youths this season, was how similar they set themselves up to our default system in the SPL.

We had Culjak at RB, Anderson and Rose at CB and Roberston at LB. In midfield, captain Gibbons sat deepest, along with Capanile in the middle, with Low, Wright and Smith more advanced. Shankland was up front with Mutch in goal.

It was great to see Ando back and he literally strolled through the game, don't think he ran more than 20 paces all night.

First glance of Culjak for me and he's clearly got great physical attributes, big, strong and fast enough but, at RB at least, he still seemed very raw.  He wasn't the only one though and I guess that's understandable at this level, even with a league winning side.

Low struck first after good work from Smith. I'll really miss Nicky. He played tonight like he's played every other game he's ever played for us, like it was his last. Sadly, this probably was. Given the league was won and he's signed for another club, you'd forgive him for taking it easy but he was a dynamo all night, spurring on his team mates and earning us the lead.

In contrast, the second goal, the equaliser, only emphasised how I feel about Robertson. He looked out of his depth even at this level, and worse, he didn't particularly seem to care. Now, that partly might be me misreading his body language, etc, so I may be harsh on his temperament. They got all their success down his side though. That, in part at least, was down to the quality of their number 2, Ryan Williamson, who was comfortably their most composed ball player and solid defensively too. He's one worth keeping an eye on based on tonight's performance.

Our second came from brilliant skill as Scott Wright ripped through their defence, with Shankland showing a keen instinct to tap in the rebound. Wright was my motm. Lots of skill on the ball and good movement throughout. Not a dissimilar player to Pawlett.

Wright capped his performance with the third late in the game.  He got a selfless assist from, I think, sub Orsi, before he misqueued his shot straight into the keeper, who fumbled the ball underneath him into the net.

Overall, it was really promising, the system clearly works and the movement, ball retention and understanding of the players is great. We're creating smart players too, the way several of our players shift their balance and use their body to shape space and get an little advantage is impressive. I was also impressed by a Shankland pass, under a lot of pressure near the halfway line, where he switched the ball into space wide on the left.  It was a little thing but it just showed a match awareness that I found really promising.  However, that said, other than Smith and Shankland, already in and around the first team, and Wright, perhaps, I can't see any others bothering the first time in the next year.

Well done to the loons and to Sheerin and co.  Great effort all round.

Good to hear Doncaster get booed too.  Prick.

Cheers for the match report stooge! Makes for very good reading. Was actually thinking when i saw hed scored on twitter that it will be a shame to see Low go. Proper dynamo, just the wrong time for him and the club  :frown:

I know PL will be very interested to see how Culjak gets on. Fingers crossed he'll be a bit of a find, certainly seems to be enjoying himself at the club anyway.

Sounds like the boy Anderson is a prospect  ;)

Thanks for the report, sounds like a good night was had by all.

Got to laugh when I hear Arabs going on about our ageing team in comparison to theirs.

Looks like we've got a right few decent players at that level.

The challenge of course to them is can they move up to first team level  :dunno:

aye great turnout and great times at the club. regards wright has he been injured most the season? mind he came on in early European game start the season looked the biz.  I would like to see him come threw next season . needs to fill out a bit but he is exciting watch. its all good at pittodrie :thumbsup: