Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Independence - Yay or Nay

Dandy_Don
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salmond has to go, as this was a winnable vote but he focused his campaign on Saltire waving, pride in our country vote, who would probably vote YES anyway. If he'd spent more time and effort showing how he thought it could be managed financially he might have swayed the borderline NO vote.

In the end, as predicted by a lot of folk, the street party YES folk were the vocal minority but as they'd been painted as a massive movement growing in momentum it makes it harder for them to take the result. Using minority here seems harsh for 45% but I guess it's technically correct.

The result realistically shows Salmond's campaign won over next to no-one as the 55/45 split was how it pretty much was at the start.

I know it's still quite raw for some folk, but I find the language used today pretty disappointing. Admittedly it's mostly just social media but calling folk cowards, traitors etc because the result didn't go your way is uncalled for. The country decided, thankfully most of the country turned out and had their say for a change, and that's how democracy works.

To abuse someone because they couldn't quite risk (in their eyes) they're families IMMEDIATE future on hopes and aspirations is not on.

I keep thinking back to the first televised debate, when Salmond knew he'd be asked about currency and didn't bother trying to provide an answer that could have shut darling up and swayed the undecided. He immediately followed this with 5 excruciating minutes where he tried to belittle the NO campaign with waffle about them wanting to change the side of the road we drive on. It was his campaign in a microcosm; we wanted answers, assurances, we got attempts at cheap laughs.

As for what's next. We all expect the NO 'vows' to be reneged on gradually in the coming weeks/months. How about we stop calling our neighbours names and use the energy to hold these parties to their word instead?

:clap:

Absolutely spot on, especially the bit in bold.

Salmond has been treated as some sort of hero but for me he let the Yes campaign down.

:clap:

Absolutely spot on, especially the bit in bold.

Salmond has been treated as some sort of hero but for me he let the Yes campaign down.

It shouldn't have been about Salmond anyway. It should have been a debate about constitutional change not the sort of Presidential type debate it turned into.

I also wish No voters would stop going on about the economic reasons why they voted no. The currency issues and EU would have worked themselves over time. The good thing about being independent is you can react and change to your countries wishes. There must be a hell of a lot of people who voted no because they like the Queen and the whole idea of being "British" but no one seems to be admitting that.

Frankly I wish both Yes and No voters would just leave it and get back to work.

Everyone had their reasons for their decisions, some may regret them now but without a freak result of an absolutely equal 50:50 split there was always going to be a losing side.

Now on a more important topic May 2015 takes the spotlight.

There appears to be an acceptance among certain people that it will be a conservative/ UKIP coalition in Westminster come June and that cannot be allowed to 'just happen'

Of course the wonderful first past the post system means it is possible to win an election just on London and the South East alone but we all have to fight.

85% turnout in scotland must be repeated or even improved upon and if you have any friends/ contacts in england they must be encouraged to match us.

I've always been against tactical voting but I fear it may be required by all to get rid of the Tories for at least another 5 years. As for UKIP I'd still like to think they are euro election protest vote fodder only but I dont want to take a chance. Protest votes achieve fuck all when it results in evil getting elected

And finally for fuck sake don't pick a party just for their policy on Immigration. Look at what their plans for education, health, transport etc and you might suddenly think that bloke next door with the funny accent ain't so bad.

Frankly I wish both Yes and No voters would just leave it and get back to work.

Everyone had their reasons for their decisions, some may regret them now but without a freak result of an absolutely equal 50:50 split there was always going to be a losing side.

There appears to be an acceptance among certain people that it will be a conservative/ UKIP coalition in Westminster come June and that cannot be allowed to 'just happen'

Of course the wonderful first past the post system means it is possible to win an election just on London and the South East alone but we all have to fight.

85% turnout in scotland must be repeated or even improved upon and if you have any friends/ contacts in england they must be encouraged to match us.

I've always been against tactical voting but I fear it may be required by all to get rid of the Tories for at least another 5 years. As for UKIP I'd still like to think they are euro election protest vote fodder only but I dont want to take a chance. Protest votes achieve fuck all when it results in evil getting elected

And finally for fuck sake don't pick a party just for their policy on Immigration. Look at what their plans for education, health, transport etc and you might suddenly think that bloke next door with the funny accent ain't so bad.

:clap: :clap: :clap:  Especially the bit in bold.

I've always been against tactical voting but I fear it may be required by all to get rid of the Tories for at least another 5 years.

Fight for what?  To be governed by the British Labour Party?  FUCK THAT.  They may be a marginal improvement on the tories, but it's an ever decreasing margin.

Labour have lost a huge amount of respect in Scotland the past five years and they could really struggle in May. My mum who had always had a vote Labour to keep the Tories out mantra said yesterday she's going to vote snp this time round and well...... she's really stuck in her ways, I was quite surprised. I would particularly like to see Jim Murphy, Margaret Curran and Douglas Alexander lose their seats as they are Cunts

Labour have lost a huge amount of respect in Scotland the past five years and they could really struggle in May. My mum who had always had a vote Labour to keep the Tories out mantra said yesterday she's going to vote snp this time round and well...... she's really stuck in her ways, I was quite surprised. I would particularly like to see Jim Murphy, Margaret Curran and Douglas Alexander lose their seats as they are Cunts

I am the same I have voted Labor the last few times to try and keep the Tories out. I also will be voting SNP at the next election. Funnily enough just got my forms sent to me today to reregister as an overseas voter.