Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Crazy American Politics

• 6 months later...

So, not long until the election.  Bit worried to see Romney doing well in some polls but there was some interesting stuff in a BBC World Service poll today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20008687

An average of 50% favoured Mr Obama, with 9% for Mr Romney, in the survey of 21,797 people in 21 countries.

Only Pakistan's respondents said they would prefer to see Mr Romney win November's election.

France was the most strongly pro-Obama (72%).

Good luck to Pakistan if that's what they want!

That's what I was thinking  :o

Admittedly Obama hasn't had a spectacular 4 years but the American economy was on its arse before he came to Washington.

Although Mitt (get a proper fucking name) would be bad news for most of the world he would be fucking terrible news for Americans.  Seems intent in driving the social agenda back to the 1950s while making our own Tory govt look like a bunch of loveable WI wifies.

What you want Mitt in?  :o

To be honest, yes I do.

Not saying he is the answer to all the problems, and Obama has done some really good things. But ultimately on the economy Obama has failed miserably.

Agree it was on it's arse before he came in, but that was 4 years ago and it hasn't really improved. Obama promised to get it down to 5.4% unemployment and currently it's sitting right around 8% - that's 23 million unemployed and 47 million people on food stamps. His solution is to raise taxes which clearly hasn't worked and, perhaps in my simple view of the world, doesn't seem likely to increase growth. Watching the debates, Obama did not come with new policies to help the economy except 'we need to hire more teachers' - his policies of the last 4 years have not helped me, my family or many of my friends and I am unconvinced they will do so in the next 4. Obama also came across as petulant and un-presidential whereas Romney seemed calm and in control.

I'd argue Romney is less right wing than many in the Republican party, and he seemed to have a very similar agenda to the President on foreign policy (maybe less right than me). I'm quite socially liberal so I accept I will have to agree to disagree with Romney on some things but it's very rare to agree with someone on every thing especially in politics.

OK putting my hard hat on...  ;) ;) ;)

Problem is it wouldn't BE romney running the country, it'd be the most insane right-wing-tea-party policy committee telling him what to do along with some really Kenny-Everett-esque "Bomb the Bastards" foreign policy.

You want near-world-war-3-nuclear-armageddon-poker-playing-foreign policy? Vote Romney. He still thinks American "influence" should be broader, deeper and, no doubt, more insidious world-wide. He thinks the Russians are still the problem FFS and said so in the last debate.

(And Ryan is even worse!)

Problem is it wouldn't BE romney running the country, it'd be the most insane right-wing-tea-party policy committee telling him what to do along with some really Kenny-Everett-esque "Bomb the Bastards" foreign policy.

You want near-world-war-3-nuclear-armageddon-poker-playing-foreign policy? Vote Romney. He still thinks American "influence" should be broader, deeper and, no doubt, more insidious world-wide. He thinks the Russians are still the problem FFS and said so in the last debate.

(And Ryan is even worse!)

Not sure which debate you were watching - he said Russia was a 'geo-political' threat (which they are) but quite clearly stated that Iran is the greatest National Security threat to America at this present time. And personally, I would prefer American 'influence' to Russian or Chinese influence. Ultimately, a strong and prosperous America is likely to be better for my family and ultimately the wider civilized world.

I'm not a crazed, right-wing, bomb the bastards Republican - that doesn't mean that I think America should be apologizing and weakening itself. Better the devil you know...

Not sure which debate you were watching - he said Russia was a 'geo-political' threat (which they are) but quite clearly stated that Iran is the greatest National Security threat to America at this present time. And personally, I would prefer American 'influence' to Russian or Chinese influence. Ultimately, a strong and prosperous America is likely to be better for my family and ultimately the wider civilized world.

I'm not a crazed, right-wing, bomb the bastards Republican - that doesn't mean that I think America should be apologizing and weakening itself. Better the devil you know...

So you're saying we shouldn't bomb ra lot o' them?

Romney is a fucking Mormon, if you understand anything about how retarded you have to be to follow the scripture of Joseph Smith then it's pretty clear that you don't want one getting into the white house.

You'd have to really hate blacks to want this guy in charge. ;)

Any worse the the old testament, or new for that matter?

Its the whole scrying stones bollocks and then the lost page malarky that sets them mormons apart for me.  Mormons and Scientologists are defo a Timmae scale higher than your run of the mill christian etc. at least their religions have been getting rammed down throats for a couple of thousand years, people who follow new religions  are the epitomy of gullible

Fixed that for you  ;)

I know what you mean, older religions at least have the lots of people have believed this for a very long time going for them.  To me it takes a special idiot to look around at the worlds religions and go "whats that?  first preached by a failed sci fi writer in the 50's was it?  Space ships that look like giant douglas dc-8 airliners eh?  alien souls trapped inside bodies you say?  No that doesn't sound like a bad sci fi novel dressed up as a religion to make loads of money for a failed sci fi author, easily the most plausible explanation of life, universe the everything if you ask me.  Sign me up, why didn't we figure this out before?"