Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Megginson interview in the sun

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4152301/Dons-fan-Mitchel-is-living-the-dream.html

HE'S the Aberdeen fan who cheered his heroes from the stands and has vivid memories of the night they held the mighty Bayern Munich.

Now Mitchel Megginson is determined to bring the glory nights back to his beloved Dons again as he lives the dream.

The teenage striker used to go to every home game with dad Mike, who told him all the tales of travelling with Alex Ferguson's European Cup Winners' Cup-winning side.

Snapped up by the Pittodrie side at the age of nine, he has been out to make his mark ever since. He's made his real breakthrough into the first team since the turn of the year and is adamant he won't let the chance pass him by.

Megginson, 19, said: "I've really enjoyed things so far and hopefully I can keep it going. It has been a bit of a dream. I used to watch them most Saturdays with my dad.

"I didn't have a season ticket, we'd just pay at the gate. Dad was going to go to the European Super Cup final but he broke his leg.

"He used to go on a lot of the trips and when I was younger he told me about a lot of the games and stories from back then. So put all that together and it's just been something else to be playing for the team I've supported and been told so much about.

"I was nine when I first joined Aberdeen. It was two nights a week training at Seaton Park. I'd play for my school on the Saturday morning then for Aberdeen in the afternoon.

"Now when I walk out in the line-ups for games I look at the crowd thinking 'Wow, I used to be in there watching this'."

The game that stands out most for Megginson was the February night in 2008 when Jimmy Calderwood's side held Bundesliga giants Bayern.

Josh Walker fired the Dons in front only for Miroslav Klose to level. Then, after Sone Aluko made it 2-1, Hamit Altintop grabbed an equaliser for the Germans.

Megginson smiled: "I remember Walker's goal that night because I was with my mates sitting behind the goal it went into. We saw it all the way in. Going to the game I wasn't thinking it would go as well as it did. I went to get a look at some of the stars from the World Cup who were playing for Bayern at the time.

"Klose, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Lucio were the three I remembered looking forward to seeing most. I've watched Klose closely a lot since because he plays in the same position as me. He was a brilliant striker when he was at the top of his game.

"A club of Aberdeen's stature needs to aim to be back in Europe. Seeing those games was something else but to go and play in one would be absolutely unbelievable.

"I really want to help the side get back into Europe so the fans can taste nights like that again."

Dad Mike was also a striker, spending more than ten years playing for Cove Rangers in the Highland League.

Former Scotland Under-17 cap Megginson insists his old man has also played a huge part in bringing on his own game and said: "Dad's been a massive influence on me.

"When I was younger he'd take me out the back and have a kickabout. He would tell me what to do and what not to do and drummed into me that I had to work hard.

"He's helped me more than anyone. He still gives me advice now, more on ways to improve than saying I'm doing all right. But that's just him, he just wants the best for me.

"When he was at Cove his testimonial was actually against Aberdeen.

"I must have been about ten and I went out on to the pitch to have a kickabout with him and my sister beforehand.

"Aberdeen won 6-1 and I remember Eoin Jess was one of the main guys who was playing."

Megginson – who's impressed in a wide role for Craig Brown's men rather than his favoured central position – previously had loan spells at Brechin and Arbroath.

But as strikers kept arriving at Pittodrie he never allowed himself to lose heart that his opportunity would come one day.

"I wanted to play at Aberdeen, I didn't want to go anywhere else. It's worked out well, "I've been given a chance and hopefully I can prove I can start every week now. When new strikers come in it is in the back of your mind it might not happen for you, but you have to believe in yourself and try to keep improving in every training session.

"You've got to have the confidence to knuckle down and become better than them.

"There are a lot of other young boys coming up through the ranks here who are Aberdeen fans and want to do well for the club. We all know what it's about.

"The management staff have told me to keep going and try to keep my overall level of performance high to stay in the team.

"I'm happy to play anywhere to get a game and I quite enjoy playing out wide.

"But long-term I'd say my favourite position will probably be up front."