Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

šŸ”“āšŖļø Come on you Reds!Ā āšŖļøšŸ”“

Leigh Griffiths

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely would be someone to consider. Whilst Vernon and Mackie will huff and puff all day long, we desperately need someone who will create something out of nothing and will be that creative spark. Griffiths would fit that bill.

Well, all EPL clubs can only register a maximum of 25 players for the forthcoming campaign (well, up to the transfer window, anyway). With most EPL clubs holding more than 25 senior players on their books, could well be a chance for Pa Broon to net a really decent striker on a season-long loan deal.

Ā 

Ā 

• 4 weeks later...

Presume this is not going to happen but still talk of a loan in:

Ā 

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/08/23/leigh-griffiths-could-join-scottish-club/

Ā 

Griffiths.jpg

Ā 

Wolves striker Leigh Griffiths could be allowed to return to Scotland on loan after all with Aberdeen and Hibernian both linked to a move.

Ā 

The 21-year-old, who travelled with the squad for tonightā€™s Carling Cup second round tie at Northampton, has yet to make a competitive appearance for the club since signing for Ā£150,000 from Dundee in January.

Ā 

Manager Mick McCarthy is keen for Griffiths to go out on loan to an English club, but no offer has been forthcoming.

Ā 

With that in mind, McCarthy admits a move to the Scottish Premier League, where Aberdeen and Hibernian both play, could be another option.

Ā 

He said: ā€œA few clubs in Scotland have shown interest. I want him to play football and my preference is for him to do that in England.

Ā 

ā€œBut, if itā€™s in Scotland then, fine and I have told them that.ā€

Ā 

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/08/23/leigh-griffiths-could-join-scottish-club/#ixzz1VrviKr9b

if he was even a possibility, i doubt we'd have signed chalali though. and if he WAS a possibility, now that we've signed chalali i doubt broon would be pulling out the stops to sign him.

Ā 

I'd like to know what creative-ish midfielders are available for loan. certainly won't be pleased if we don't recruit one or two more bodies.

if he was even a possibility, i doubt we'd have signed chalali though. and if he WAS a possibility, now that we've signed chalali i doubt broon would be pulling out the stops to sign him.

Ā 

I'd like to know what creative-ish midfielders are available for loan. certainly won't be pleased if we don't recruit one or two more bodies.

Full back and Winger I would hope

Not really fussed by this

Ā 

LEIGH GRIFFITHS' GOALS

2008/09 - Livingston 19 goals

2009/10 - Dundee 19 goals

2010/11* - Dundee 10 goals (* left in January)

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  (48)

Ā 

DENNIS WYNESS GOALS

2000ā€“2003 Inverness CT 67 Goals

2003ā€“2006 Heart of Midlothian 11

2005ā€“2006Ā  Ā  Ā  Inverness CT (loan)Ā  8

2006ā€“2008 Inverness CT 6

2008ā€“2010 St. MirrenĀ  Ā  2

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  (94)

Ā 

Can score goals in the lower devisions but when it comes to the SPL not overly prolific. Take Dennis Wyness for example.

Ā 

But still more prolific than MackieĀ  :hammer:

Ā 

1998ā€“present Aberdeen 57

2004 Inverness (loan) 0

Ā 

• 3 months later...

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/12/17/wolves-willing-to-cash-in-on-out-of-favour-strikers/

Another young Scottish player moving south too soon.Ā  Wonder where he will end up. Suppose Hibs might have the cash to sign him, not sure anyone else up here will.

Third Division, 2nd Division, Leage 1?

Wolves are prepared to sell fringe strikers Andy Keogh and Leigh Griffiths next month.

Ā 

All three are currently on loan until early January with Keogh at Leeds, Griffiths at Hibernian while Sam Vokes is at Burnley.

Ā 

ā€œThese are fringe players weā€™re talking about,ā€ said boss Mick McCarthy.

Ā 

ā€œLeigh isnā€™t going to get in my team so if I can sell him, Iā€™ll sell him.

Ā 

ā€œAndy Keogh hasnā€™t really been involved in the Premier League. So weā€™ve loaned him out and heā€™s for sale. Theyā€™re the ones who are available, not the first-team squad players.ā€

Ā 

Griffiths, 21, was a Ā£150,000 signing from Dundee only last January but McCarthy admits the Scot isnā€™t going to force his way into his plans.

Ā 

ā€œI donā€™t see him getting in my first team now. And if it means we sell him on with a sell-on clause, so be it.

Ā 

ā€œColin Calderwood wanted to sign him (when he was Hibernian boss) and Iā€™ve had a discussion with Hibs boss Pat Fenlon and weā€™re leaving it as it is for now.

Ā 

ā€œThere are a couple of other Scottish clubs who fancy Leigh.ā€

Ā 

McCarthy would be happy for Keogh, who cost Ā£650,000 five years ago, to rejoin Leeds permanently.

Ā 

ā€œIf Leeds or someone else want to sign him, Iā€™d be prepared to sell him,ā€ he said.

Ā 

McCarthy is undecided on Vokes, who has scored twice in six games for the Clarets.

Ā 

ā€œMy own personal jury is out on that one,ā€ he said. ā€œHe was flying here just before he went to Burnley.

Ā 

ā€œHe played at Chelsea in the reserves and everyone said how well he played. In training, it was the best Iā€™d seen him.

Ā 

ā€œNow heā€™s gone to Burnley and scored, so Iā€™d be more inclined to have him back and take a look at him, unless someone knocked me out with an offer too good to be true.ā€

Ā 

Meanwhile, McCarthy wants to see Michael Kightly back in action for Wolves.

Ā 

The winger is currently in his second month on loan at Watford, where heā€™s scored twice in seven games before today.

Ā 

ā€œKightly will be coming back at some stage and I want to see him when heā€™s had six, seven eight games and see if heā€™s back to the player he was when he was ā€˜ripping it upā€™,ā€ said the boss.

Ā 

ā€œIā€™ve got my fingers firmly crossed that will be the case, because heā€™s terrific.ā€

Ā 

Midfielder David Davis, who has impressed for Inverness Caledonian Thistle, could be loaned closer to home in the new year.

Ā 

ā€œDavid has done particularly well apparently,ā€ said the boss.

Ā 

ā€œAlthough they want to keep him, if we can get him into a Championship club or somewhere else that continues his development, then fine.ā€

Ā 

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2011/12/17/wolves-willing-to-cash-in-on-out-of-favour-strikers/#ixzz1h6Wzvs6d