Wednesday 19th June 2024

Euro 2024 -  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland v 🇨🇭Switzerland

kick-off 8pm

Two New Faces?

whups, never mind. gottit. good to see dan smith's the one likely to be booted:

Manager Jimmy Calderwood wants a striker to replace Craig Brewster, although it won't be Irish teenager Mark McAllister.

Calderwood has also targeted a defender and hinted a player could yet leave Pittodrie to make way for his new men.

He said: "I'm fairly hopeful we will be able to get a couple of deals done by Friday.

"Craig's gone so that leaves room on the budget for at least one new arrival.

"Other things could also happen between now and Friday.

"I will be speaking to a few people today and will make announcements when we are ready."

Dan Smith, who has failed to hold down a regular place since signing from Sunderland, is a candidate to be moved on.

It's also likely the striker coming in will be a youngster on loan from an English club after Calderwood decided against signing Dungannon Swifts hitman McAllister, 19, who rejected the chance to sign for Celtic in the summer.

Calderwood said: "I saw him in Belfast the other night but decided he isn't good enough for us."

Calderwood is also sweating on the fitness of skipper Scott Severin, Zander Diamond and Chris Clark after their epic 3-3 draw with Hibs on Saturday.

Severin injured himself during the warm-up and was only able to play after taking a pain killing injection.

Diamond and Clark suffered Achilles tendon injuries during the match.

Calderwood confirmed all three are doubtful for Saturday's SPL visit to Kilmarnock.

Calderwood said: "We will just have to wait and see how they respond to treatment but it is a worry."

Irish defender Richie Byrne, who has been out for most of the last year because of a hamstring injury, was set to return to training with the first team squad today.

Dutch winger Jeffrey de Visscher is also back in full training and should be available for the trip to Rugby Park.

Have to wonder if we're signing a defender due to the injury/form problems at the back, or if this is a realisation from Calderwood that we can not afford to lose Severin from the midfield, and that  maybe Touzani isn't up to it?

if touzani isnt up to it then why was he given another 2 year deal is the question i have to ask?

JC was in the papaer last week saying that Touzani will be important in Europe because it suits his style of play, so doubt he'll leave.

We need to get in a striker that can actually win headers when the ball is in the air and an experienced defender would make a huge difference but where do you find an experienced defender within our price range.

JC was in the papaer last week saying that Touzani will be important in Europe because it suits his style of play, so doubt he'll leave.

We need to get in a striker that can actually win headers when the ball is in the air and an experienced defender would make a huge difference but where do you find an experienced defender within our price range.

To be fair JC said at the time of him re-signing that Touzani would be an important player this season with Russell leaving (along with Dan Smith who came back a totally different player and the one that made him sign the lad) so wouldnt read too much into what he blabs to Charlie!!

aye, saw that in the peej. jesus.

we've already got a big, clumsy pointless striker who doesn't score goals in the shape of lee miller. scott dobie is more of the same as far as i can see.

lovell to southend, yeovil or bournmouth too, i note. to be honest, lovell has been a big let-down and i can't understand the fans' affection for him. he's never shown that he can be a consistently good goalscorer. put it this way, he's no joe harper, frank mcdougall, duncan shearer - or even an arild stavrum.

we've already got a big, clumsy pointless striker who doesn't score goals in the shape of lee miller. scott dobie is more of the same as far as i can see.

lovell to southend, yeovil or bournmouth too, i note. to be honest, lovell has been a big let-down and i can't understand the fans' affection for him. he's never shown that he can be a consistently good goalscorer. put it this way, he's no joe harper, frank mcdougall, duncan shearer - or even an arild stavrum.

I like Lovell, simply cos he's shown in glimpses what he can do, and I'd have to say I'd take Lovell every day of the week over Stavrum, but that's another discussion for another day...

Losing two strikers, potentially, and replacing them with Dobie and possibly Derek Young would signal we're stuck in reverse gear.

Having to pick any two from Mackie, Miller, Maguire, Dobie and Young is far from inspiring, it's a sad day when Darren Mackie looks the most lethal out the lot of them.

I like Lovell, simply cos he's shown in glimpses what he can do, and I'd have to say I'd take Lovell every day of the week over Stavrum, but that's another discussion for another day...

Losing two strikers, potentially, and replacing them with Dobie and possibly Derek Young would signal we're stuck in reverse gear.

Having to pick any two from Mackie, Miller, Maguire, Dobie and Young is far from inspiring, it's a sad day when Darren Mackie looks the most lethal out the lot of them.

i'd probably agree it's not the most fear-inspiring front-line, but we've been doing okay without lovell getting a sniff of action over the next two weeks. in fact, few would argue our last two games when lovell has been warming the bench have been our best two games of the season.

lovell's attitude strikes me as being all wrong. he was woeful against hearts and clearly doesn't look like he cares whether he's at aberdeen or not. at no time has he struck me as a player who you could rely on to get 20 goals a season (which at least stavrum managed, for all his faults).

i'm not sure dobie's the answer. but, as some other smart fella has noted elsewhere, he's got a better goals tally than lee miller's managed. and miller and dobie is a combination that you just know wouldn't work in a million years.

a new defender on the way too, it seems.

can't say i'm surprised, considering the amount of goals we've let in already. any thoughts on possible targets? a left back or a centre half, do we think?

Aye 8 goals in 4 games…………..we didn’t have a great start last season or the season before - but we were not conceding goals like we are this season.

can't say i'm surprised, considering the amount of goals we've let in already. any thoughts on possible targets? a left back or a centre half, do we think?

Would have to imagine it's going to be someone with reasonable experience, otherwise, what's the point? If it's a left back, that would surely signal a change in role for McNamara, either to centre back or midfield. If it's a centre back then would have to say that Considine is the favourite to be dropping out.

If the rumour about Bamba is true, then I would say that we'd maybe be better off sticking with what we have at present. Looks a good player at times, other times he looks like Bombscare Billy. but if he does sign, then I'll give him a chance.

Not sure about everyone else, but I can't really think of "realistic" targets at the moment, as I think Nemanja Vidic falls into the "unrealistic" bracket here! And sometimes, it's just better not trying to second guess JC...

That, to me, is ludicrous. We're not Chelsea, who can keep a squad big enough to have different types of player for tactical reasons. Either Touzani's capable of being a week-in-week-out first team player or he's no use to a club of our size. I personally think he is, and should be regarded as our senior centre-back now Russell's gone.

As for targets, I would love to see the club show a bit of ambition and try to tempt Falkirk with a competitive bid for Darren Barr...but it'll obviously never happen.

And Bamba? If I could take a Dunfermline defender, it'd be Mr McGuire, regardless of how backward looking that may seem. 

Whisper it, but aren't left back and centre back the nearly fit again "next Jaap Stam", Richy Byrne's positions...?

Also, re Touzani, has Jimmy not seen the teams we could get in the Yoofa draw? If we can even get a goal against most of them, it'll be a good achievement. Why sign Touzani for 2 years when he;s going to get 2 games max...

I like Lovell' date=' simply cos he's shown in glimpses what he can do, and I'd have to say I'd take Lovell every day of the week over Stavrum, but that's another discussion for another day...[/quote']

Dunno where I stand on this argument. When Lovell scores, they are beautiful goals that are candidates for goal-of-the-month. When Stavrum scored, not even Arild himself knew which body part it bounced off to go in.

However, I'd rather have a clumsy oaf who scores buckets of goals off his arse, cock, heel and chin without even realising it than a striker who scores ONE goal (albeit a peach every time) in every six or seven games.