Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

Hating it because it resembles the Union Jack makes us as bad as the Infirm.

Why? I'm a republican - doesn't make me like celtic - and strong supporter of Scottish independence - doesn't have anything to do with me hating rangers.

The reason the OF are vermin is that those political issues have been assimilated into football and perpetual divisions in Scottish culture are the result. This flag is veering towards doing the same so it can get to fuck.

Fitba is supposed to offer escapism from cunt punching topics like politics and religion.

Why? I'm a republican - doesn't make me like celtic - and strong supporter of Scottish independence - doesn't have anything to do with me hating rangers.

The reason the OF are vermin is that those political issues have been assimilated into football and perpetual divisions in Scottish culture are the result. This flag is veering towards doing the same so it can get to fuck.

Fitba is supposed to offer escapism from cunt punching topics like politics and religion.

But at the same time a staunch unionist could be offended by the Saltire being used in Aberdeen flags.

I'd rather not get excited about either.  It's just a flag.  I actually like the colours.

But at the same time a staunch unionist could be offended by the Saltire being used in Aberdeen flags.

I'd rather not get excited about either.  It's just a flag.  I actually like the colours.

The British union is exactly that - a union of (and not a replacement of) the consituent nations. It is supposedly intended not to mean Scottish identity should be eroded, so the same argument doesn't apply against the Scottish flag as does against the Union flag because union supporters are as entitled to the St Andrew's flag as the Union one.

The argument would however run parallel to someone who happened to be a staunch supporter of the pictish, scots or gaelic kingdoms therefore opposing the notion of a unified Scotland that the St Andrew's flag represents...

But either way, by bringing those sorts of topics to football grounds, that way ruin lies.

And I don't think the colour scheme works with the white being in it.  :thumbsup:

Jesus wept mate.

That's me outta this thread.

I wasn't seriously saying the two are comparable FFS! Just pointing out that when flags actually represent something divisive they don't belong at football.

edit - By 'divisive' i mean, culturally or politically divisive. That's been my point all along. Flag's are by definition, divisive. They establish people as us and them. So no flag, even sporting ones, are 'just' flags.

As far as I can see, the point of sport is to take this human tendency to divide and, instead of it being violent and destructive (as UK, Irish, Nazi, confederate, kymer rouge or any other national/political flags are designed to be), they make it something non-violent and productive.

That's why union flags (same as tricolours, or nationalist/extreme right/left wing symbols) have no more place in Scottish football than football violence or sectarianism. No need to get knickers twisted just because the nazi flag is the most obvious illustration of the point.

The British union is exactly that - a union of (and not a replacement of) the consituent nations. It is supposedly intended not to mean Scottish identity should be eroded, so the same argument doesn't apply against the Scottish flag as does against the Union flag because union supporters are as entitled to the St Andrew's flag as the Union one.

The argument would however run parallel to someone who happened to be a staunch supporter of the pictish, scots or gaelic kingdoms therefore opposing the notion of a unified Scotland that the St Andrew's flag represents...

But either way, by bringing those sorts of topics to football grounds, that way ruin lies.

And I don't think the colour scheme works with the white being in it.  :thumbsup:

Could be worse, you could be the knob in that picture at Perth of the Globe and Glasgow Uni flags with the Irish rugby shirt on. Then you would need to be labelled a proper cunt  :P