Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Spanish Fitba

glasgowdon

Wow.

I wouldn't say he is a shite manager, he's proven in Spain and in continental football too albeit it was a while ago.

Do I think they should employ him? Not necessarily.

I read a lot of Spanish press and opinion across many media sources seems to be that the fans want a "Real Madrid man" and Rafa fits that bill. It's a safe appointment because he'd be easier to fire than someone like Raul/Zidane for example.

I'm sure that will all change when they win the league though.

Does that answer your question?

::)

Ok, so you're not as much an advocate of him as I first read. You admit that his "success" was indeed "a while ago".

People change and abilities change. I swear that whatever opinion you're reading is wrong in that Real won't appoint Rafa.

That would be suicide. Rafa's ability to inspire others has long since evaporated. He's become what he always was. It just wasn't so apparent when he had energy, enthusiasm and dynamism. Some managers (in business, life etc. too, not just sport) were never cut out for it and it's only when they do get found out that they stop believing in themselves, rightly.

If Rafa doesn't believe it, no employer's going to take the chance but even more crucially if the employer did take a punt, the players aren't going to believe him. Rafa did believe in himself once upon a time and he was producing, getting others to perform at the top of their games. I suspect the start of his downfall was man-management rather than technical or knowledge gaps. Perhaps he believed in his own hype and adulation and forgot the key responsibilities and functions of the role. Whatever the reason, he's damaged goods, a manager who can't manage men and who knows he can't.

This is different from Calderwood. His bluster was based on bullshit from the start. He couldn't believe how far he got with zero intelligence, zero charisma, zero inspiration and zero management ability. He just was never a leader of men and always knew it himself and suckers like us gave him five fucking years.

Ok, so you're not as much an advocate of him as I first read. You admit that his "success" was indeed "a while ago".

People change and abilities change. I swear that whatever opinion you're reading is wrong in that Real won't appoint Rafa.

That would be suicide. Rafa's ability to inspire others has long since evaporated. He's become what he always was. It just wasn't so apparent when he had energy, enthusiasm and dynamism. Some managers (in business, life etc. too, not just sport) were never cut out for it and it's only when they do get found out that they stop believing in themselves, rightly.

If Rafa doesn't believe it, no employer's going to take the chance but even more crucially if the employer did take a punt, the players aren't going to believe him. Rafa did believe in himself once upon a time and he was producing, getting others to perform at the top of their games. I suspect the start of his downfall was man-management rather than technical or knowledge gaps. Perhaps he believed in his own hype and adulation and forgot the key responsibilities and functions of the role. Whatever the reason, he's damaged goods, a manager who can't manage men and who knows he can't.

This is different from Calderwood. His bluster was based on bullshit from the start. He couldn't believe how far he got with zero intelligence, zero charisma, zero inspiration and zero management ability. He just was never a leader of men and always knew it himself and suckers like us gave him five fucking years.

I didn't say any opinion I read wants him as manager though. I said he fits the bill of what the fans allegedly want and I said he is an easy appointment to disperse if needs must.

The club had made some crap some managerial appointments over the years, can you honestly say Benitez wouldn't be a step up from someone like Schuster ( slthoughhe won a league with Capello's team).

I guess it does open up other questions. Some media reporting both managers will be away at the end of the year (think Pep still hasn't signed). Who would be the next managers of these two clubs?

madrid have made some staggeringly shit appointments, christ toshack was appointed twice!  I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing to be honest i just felt it necessary to point out that his overall record is pretty decent.  Would i want him in charge of my team if i supported a big european side?  Only in Spain.  Do i think he will get the Madrid job when Jose goes?  Probably not but i wouldn't be shocked if they did

Guillem Balague reporting ton twitter that Mourinho will be stepping down in the summer and looking for a job in the premiership.

He also mentions that the favourite to replace him is.....

Benitez.

:wave: Rocket

I'll refrain from gloating until it's confirmed. ;)

Nah, Balague saying it means it's probably drivel.

Sunday Times are also reporting it.

Not sure Real fans have ever taken to him, seemingly on account of his nationality.  I do think they seem to prefer Spanish managers, which is why Benitez will be linked as he has a very good record in Spain.

To be fair, a couple of very good seasons at Valencia aside, his record in Spain is pretty hit and miss.

I think Rafa would prove to be Real's best manager for ages and certainly their best hope of finally beating Barcelona.

He's definitely a good manager. Aye he's had bad spells but he got Liverpool as close to winning the league as they've come for years. Obviously the Champions League was some achievement too.

• 2 months later...

Pep Guardiola will stand down as Barcelona manager at the end of the season after deciding not to renew his rolling one-year contract.

The 41-year-old, who made 479 appearances for Barca between 1990 and 2001, was appointed in 2008 and has led the Catalan club to 13 trophies.

But they look set to miss out to Real Madrid in La Liga and were knocked out of the Champions League by Chelsea.

It is understood that Guardiola will take a year-long break from the game.

An 1100 BST news conference has been called at the Nou Camp, where he is expected to explain the decision.

Guardiola spent three hours with Barca president Sandro Rosell on Thursday and informed his players on Friday morning.

He is the most successful coach in Barca history, with three league titles, two Champions Leagues and a Copa del Rey among his haul.

The former Spain midfielder has overseen the rise of three-time world player of the year Lionel Messi, Xavi and Andres Iniesta, while bringing Cesc Fabregas back to the club from Arsenal.

I reckon wenger will be high on the barca shortlist