Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Category One Refs Vote for Strike

Striking.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9214212.stm

Fixtures in Scotland face possible postponement next weekend with Category One referees voting to strike.

Scottish match officials are upset with the avalanche of criticism that has come their way this season.

The decision to take strike action was reached at a referees' union meeting held on Sunday afternoon.

There are four top flight fixtures scheduled for next Saturday, with two more on Sunday. There is also a full card in the Scottish Football League.

The ALBA Challenge Cup final between Queen of the South and Ross County at McDiarmid Park is also under threat, as will any Scottish Cup replays.

BBC Scotland has learned that officials are concerned that their integrity is constantly being questioned and there are increasing fears over personal safety as a result of public criticism from managers and the media.

Scottish Premier League referees threatened to strike over pay in 2008 but the threat was lifted when a review was set up to study their wage demands.

Last month, Hamilton manager Billy Reid warned that he would understand if referees were to refuse to officiate because of the excessive criticism directed at them.

The Scottish Football Association are not commenting on the matter, with a spokesman saying they have not had any official notification of the planned strike.

More to follow...

Can't blame them to be honest.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the referees intend on striking to disrupt football. Going to really get sympathy there, well, maybe in Aberdeen.

What happens? A referee lies and admits publicly to this and is, not very surprisingly, not fired instantly.

Celtic are given the ammo they've needed to indulge their persecution complex and even their chairman weighs in, an ex MP. Irony is beyond funny sometimes.

Refs decide to strike. One of their number is exposed (largely by himself) as a liar and the refs can't take the heat and decide to strike. It isn't even a joke, one of them is caught lying and it's ok by the SFA and they decide to strike?

Celtic have established themselves as a total fucking stain upon Scottish football by allowing Lennon to vent his spleen and ultimately become the type of manager that mirrors his playing career, a fucking moaning irritating and ultimately irrational and maladjusted cunt. And thier fucking chairman can't eep his cunting mooth shut. They are not playing well just now. Quelle fucking surprise. Deflect, deflect, deflect, deflect. It is nauseating.

However, the refs decide to strike?

Fuck them and Celtic, they make me fucking sick, they're both not good enough and frankly can't hack it.

But I wonder when Celtic will sack a player for being dishonest and deliberately trying to cheat. I don't think they will, cheating and lying seems to have just a one way street.

I can understand that they want action if they feel their personal safety, but striking is going to fuck off loads of people and make it worse

Edit - Apparently Celtic have welcomed the strike, bet their fans who have booked travel to Inverness will be in agreement.

If you're going to strike you have to put it in writing 7 days before the strike action I believe (or certainly used to be the case) so I doubt this will happen.

I though Ref's weren't actually Employed by the SFA and are volunteers who get expenses for each game!

Maybe thats the old way?

Foreign refs in for this weekend:

The Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan will source match officials from other countries to avert a referees' strike this weekend.

In a statement from the SFA, Regan said: "Fulfilling the weekend fixture calendar is our priority."

So, the referees intend on striking to disrupt football. Going to really get sympathy there, well, maybe in Aberdeen.

What happens? A referee lies and admits publicly to this and is, not very surprisingly, not fired instantly.

Celtic are given the ammo they've needed to indulge their persecution complex and even their chairman weighs in, an ex MP. Irony is beyond funny sometimes.

Refs decide to strike. One of their number is exposed (largely by himself) as a liar and the refs can't take the heat and decide to strike. It isn't even a joke, one of them is caught lying and it's ok by the SFA and they decide to strike?

Celtic have established themselves as a total fucking stain upon Scottish football by allowing Lennon to vent his spleen and ultimately become the type of manager that mirrors his playing career, a fucking moaning irritating and ultimately irrational and maladjusted cunt. And thier fucking chairman can't eep his cunting mooth shut. They are not playing well just now. Quelle fucking surprise. Deflect, deflect, deflect, deflect. It is nauseating.

However, the refs decide to strike?

Fuck them and Celtic, they make me fucking sick, they're both not good enough and frankly can't hack it.

But I wonder when Celtic will sack a player for being dishonest and deliberately trying to cheat. I don't think they will, cheating and lying seems to have just a one way street.

+1