Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium meeting;

Just back from the public consultation.

Didn't find out much more than we already knew, other than they are limited to 1,500 parking spaces.

All the plans from the AFC website are laid out for anybody wanting a closer look, and there are people from the architects and AFC on hand to answer questions.  There is a feedback form to fill in.

I do like the plans though.

I utterly despise modern day football grounds.  Part of the reason may well be the convenient parking for the supporters. But even I have to say (putting my sensible hat on) that 1500 spaces for a 21,000 modern stadium is utterly shite. Why is parking so sparse?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I utterly despise modern day football grounds.  Part of the reason may well be the convenient parking for the supporters. But even I have to say (putting my sensible hat on) that 1500 spaces for a 21,000 modern stadium is utterly shite. Why is parking so sparse?

Will be to do with a local planning policy to discourage people from using their cars or to 'carpool' (1500 spaces could equal 7500fans in an ideal world). Council have pulled this trick with RGUs new Garthdee campus - Something like a max of 30parking spaces for each new uni building and then introducing residents only parking in the surrounding streets with small sections of 'voucher parking limited to a max of 6hrs a day' for the students or anyone else for that matter.

All the councils are doing this now (we have a client who built 2 new office blocks in Newbridge outside edinburgh, and were limited to max 60spaces. They have plans to build 3 more on the same site and are now being restricted to 10 spaces for each block. Nearest Railway stations are both 5miles away and there are very few buses in that the site is 20seconds from the M9.

Apparenlty the Reebok stadium only has 2000 parking spaces (28723 capacity). However it does have the advantage of having a railway stadium 400 yards away

Will be to do with a local planning policy to discourage people from using their cars or to 'carpool' (1500 spaces could equal 7500fans in an ideal world). Council have pulled this trick with RGUs new Garthdee campus - Something like a max of 30parking spaces for each new uni building and then introducing residents only parking in the surrounding streets with small sections of 'voucher parking limited to a max of 6hrs a day' for the students or anyone else for that matter.

All the councils are doing this now (we have a client who built 2 new office blocks in Newbridge outside edinburgh, and were limited to max 60spaces. They have plans to build 3 more on the same site and are now being restricted to 10 spaces for each block. Nearest Railway stations are both 5miles away and there are very few buses in that the site is 20seconds from the M9.

Apparenlty the Reebok stadium only has 2000 parking spaces (28723 capacity). However it does have the advantage of having a railway stadium 400 yards away

Makes sense i suppose in this day and age, but still...

A way around it is to have gravel car parking surfaces, that's what my work did when we consolidated buildings, the council only allow so many concrete/tar parking spaces, no rules against any others.

I believe the exhibition centre does much the same.