Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Kevin Kyle

In-demand Kyle admits he's met McGhee to discuss move to Dons

Published Date: 02 May 2010

By Ewing Grahame

KILMARNOCK'S top scorer, Kevin Kyle, has revealed that he and Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee have already met to discuss a potential move to Pittodrie when his contract at Rugby Park expires later this month.

McGhee wants the Scotland target man to add presence and potency to his front line and Dons supporters will have the opportunity to assess the 28-year-old's effectiveness when the relegation-threatened Ayrshire club visits on Wednesday.

"That doesn't put any extra pressure on me because he's already said that he likes me, he likes my style of play and he thinks I can do a job at Aberdeen for him next season," said Kyle.

"I feel quite flattered that he's thought that, but it means that I don't have to go out and impress him on Wednesday because he's already made his mind up about me. What I've got to do, though, is concentrate on doing a job for Kilmarnock."

Kyle is based in Glasgow, which allows him regular access to his young son in Sunderland, but he dismissed reports that a move to Aberdeen would affect this. "I read an article a few days ago which said that I wouldn't sign for Aberdeen because it's too far away but that's just not true," he said. "Mark McGhee and I sat down and I asked him what a normal week's training would be. He explained that, depending on midweek matches, I could expect a Wednesday off and a Sunday off after Saturday games.

"If that's the case then I wouldn't need to stay up in Aberdeen all the time. I could commute by driving up on Sunday night and come back down again on Tuesday. The bulk of Aberdeen's away games will be in and around the Glasgow area anyway so the geography isn't a major obstacle. But I want to weigh up all my options. Right now,everything else is on the back burner because my main focus is keeping Kilmarnock in the SPL."

Hibernian manager John Hughes is hopeful that he can persuade Kyle to move to Easter Road while Kilmarnock are anxious to retain the striker if they manage to stay in the SPL. There is also interest in Kyle from clubs in England, Cyprus, Greece and Spain.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, it sounds good but how often has a player seemed keen then fecked off . .

Agree he sounds keen, but could be just playing games to stoke the fires of others supposedly interested in him.

Not 100% convinced about Kyle, but guess he could be about as good as we'll get, unless of McGhee pulls an iron out of the fire ::)

It would certainly seem that he's put a fair bit of thought into it. I'd welcome this signing personally. He's like a less shite Tommy Wright.

Might make watching him against us tomorrow interesting. Maybe.