Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Team of Two Decades - wing-backs

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

End of thread. No contest. Robertson was the best LB ever at AFC. McKimmie was damn good but wouldn't want to pick him ahead of Kennedy. That's real close. Henning Boel was a favourite of mine when I was knee high to a bettle.

Leighton was the best keeper ever, but I still voted for Snelders based on the question in the keeper poll.  Same applies here with Robertson.  He wasn't there to contribute enough to the 20 years mentioned.  That's just my opinion, but I believe he was our best ever left back.

I hope Gary Smith will be in the centre halves poll, as he was far far better in that position.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst not troubling the scorers I'd imagine Andy Dow at least deserves to be on the list. Even though he was shite.

Stephen Glass also played fullback in the 95 league cup final.

So if you acknowledge that Dow was shite why should he be on the list? He was a bit like a cult hero at the time but only because we were so bad the alternative was to stop going at all such was how bad Dow and Co were. Awful footballer.

Whilst not troubling the scorers I'd imagine Andy Dow at least deserves to be on the list. Even though he was shite.

Stephen Glass also played fullback in the 95 league cup final.

I don't think he did bb. McKimmie was at left back, Brian Grant at right back if I remember correctly.  Glass, Bernard, Jess and Miller in midfield.

I don't think he did bb. McKimmie was at left back, Brian Grant at right back if I remember correctly.  Glass, Bernard, Jess and Miller in midfield.

I remember Glass left back, Miller left mid and Grant right mid.

I can't find any YouTube of the final but the semi clearly shows McKimmie left back.  :-\ Must've been put off by our gay Hearts scarf twirling celebration.

I remember Glass left back, Miller left mid and Grant right mid.

I can't find any YouTube of the final but the semi clearly shows McKimmie left back.  :-\ Must've been put off by our gay Hearts scarf twirling celebration.

Can't fully remember the semi final line up, but I do know Grant played midfield that night beside Bernard and Jess.

Can't say I was impressed by said scarf twirling either.

So, I was right then ;)

I'm a frayed knot.

I've got the game on tape/dvd, Grant was at right back and McKimmie at left back even though their numbers suggested otherwise (4 and 2 respectively, but then they wore those numbers for most of their careers.) Glass played in front of McKimmie, and did the two of them not combine to set up the opening goal?

Guest rocket debris

Cup final starting lineup was:

Watt

McKimmie - Inglis - Smith - Glass

Miller - Bernard - Jess - Grant

Dodds - Shearer

Oh for that lineup these days ... minus Inglis

Paul Bernard? I wouldn't have that numpty in my team, not even for a million pounds.

Paul Bernard? I wouldn't have that numpty in my team, not even for a million pounds.

When Bernard actually played, he was an exceptional talent. The semi-final vs Rangers was prime example, as Bernard completely ran the show, allowing Jess the freedom to showboat and steal the limelight.

What do you mean by actually played though? If your trying to say he was an exceptional talent every game he was fit then your talking nonsense. There's no questioning the ability however was there for one of games but considering the fee paid I thought he was woeful overall.

But you have to admit, there were certain games where Bernard actually looked like a player worth £1million.

The cup semi vs Rangers, he was immense. I remember a game at Tynecastle too which was being hyped up by the media as Colin Cameron's comback game, and how Cameron was gonna punish the Dons for the amount of time he'd been out injured. The press didn't pick up on the fact that it was also Bernard's comeback game. Bernard ran the show at Tynie, and Cameron didn't get so much as a whiff of the ball all game!

When Bernard actually played, he was an exceptional talent. The semi-final vs Rangers was prime example, as Bernard completely ran the show, allowing Jess the freedom to showboat and steal the limelight.

I thought he was one of the most talented players we'd seen for some time, we just hardly ever saw it.  :hammer:

I thought he was one of the most talented players we'd seen for some time, we just hardly ever saw it.  :hammer:

Yeah, he certainly knew how to play the game; excellent touch, passing range, tackling, strong runner.  But he was injured what seemed to be like 90% of the time. It's a shame it never worked out.

I recall that Hearts game too, there was a general phase where he went 7-10 games fit and played some great stuff. You could tell he had something about him that stood out, just don't think he was committed enough and can recall a few stinker performances sadly.

• 2 weeks later...