Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Team of Two Decades - wing-backs

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So we have our goalkeeper. Without shadow of a doubt, the absolute Number1 of the past 20 years is Theo Snelders.

Next up is the Left and Right Backs. To speed up the process, I'm going to allow you all to choose TWO players from this list. These will be the wingbacks. Not as clear-cut as the goalkeeping choice, as we've not exactly been blessed with wonderful wingbacks in the past two decades.

This poll will run until next Saturday. Remember, these are ONLY players who've played for Aberdeen between 1990 and 2010. As before, I'm not going to mention ALL players from the past two decades ... just the ones worth mentioning.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely Sharpie. Have we actually had a left back since Robertson left?

I clearly remember not replacing Robertson. I think the real first effot came with the imposter Woodthorpe.

Stephen Wright could've been a contender but blew it and McNaughton was\is a fine footballer.

We've had a multitute of part time full backs for years and some absolute imposters. Tsvetanov, Hugh Robertson (good Summerhill lad though).

McKimmie and David Robertson. Thread closed.

I voted Wright and Robertson, purely on footballing ability. Never since Wright's move to the Dark Side have I been so angry about a Dons player leaving. He was a truly outstanding player and had SSSOOOOO much more to offer with the right coaching. However, he went to the huns and, resultantly, disappeared from pretty much everyone's radars.

But what I remember of him and Robertson were truly magnificent defenders that would both easily command Premiership first-team berths in today's game.

Agreed. Best two by far even if they are cunts now.

I was at the Celtic game, played at Ibrox, when Davie Robertson sat down in the Aberdeen end. Broomloan Road upper. He was two rows in front of me and I didn't realise until he was getting gobbed on.

He misread the situation terribly, cunt?, not sure. I think of hims as a great full back who should've have 70 Scotland caps instead of Tom Boyd.

McKimme, a Legend in my eyes.

I was at the Celtic game, played at Ibrox, when Davie Robertson sat down in the Aberdeen end. Broomloan Road upper. He was two rows in front of me and I didn't realise until he was getting gobbed on.

He misread the situation terribly, cunt?, not sure. I think of hims as a great full back who should've have 70 Scotland caps instead of Tom Boyd.

Spot on bb.  McKimmie and Robertson are streets ahead of everyone else on that poll.

Robertson turned into a cunt, the worst thing is that after the league decider at ibrox he told his wife that he'd never sign for "them" as their fans were spitting on him when he was taking throw ins.  Couple of weeks later he's signed for them. 

Also, that night at Ibrox where he turned up in our end, there was only one bigger cunt in the stadium that night and it was the Dons fan who grassed my mate into the cops. Cheers, fuckface.  :-[

Guest rocket debris

On 28th June 1991, I had a couple of drinks with Robertson in a pub just up from Charlies whilst two of my mates were busy doing charlie in the bogs. At the time, Malpas was the Scotland No. 3 and he told me that he really had to move to Rangers to improve his chances of getting the Scotland shirt which Malpas had had for one season too long as wor Davie was truly deserving, having come off the best season of his whole life. I respected his being honest with me.

Spitting is disgusting? What, generally? I presume you mean the spitter? I would look at the context. The spittee will often have done something pretty deserving of a phlegm face. The spit in the face is sometimes the only expression of defiance when your arms are tied up your back. What's the big deal anyway? Would rather be spat on than shat on.

Guest rocket debris

McKimmie and Robertson

End of thread. No contest. Robertson was the best LB ever at AFC. McKimmie was damn good but wouldn't want to pick him ahead of Kennedy. That's real close. Henning Boel was a favourite of mine when I was knee high to a bettle.

Bilbo we must have been the row behind you at that game. Agree that the spitting on him was out of order but he should have known not to sit there especially after his comments in the press about Aberdeen fans after he joined the Huns. Will always regard him as a cunt for the way he presented the I love Rangers and so glad to have left Aberdeen thing in the press when he joined them. Including Mckimmie in the same bracket is probably down to allowing the articles in the EE colour my judegment even though they are written for him most of teh time by the fat posty.