Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mackie my motm as well, thought he led the line brilliantly. but one up against killie at home was not good tactics!

the shot by young at the end was a cracker, couldnt believe it didnt end up in the back of the net.

good to get the win.

and kerr was bloody awful, i think the reason he always passes the ball backward or sidewards is cos if he tries a pass forward it always ends up either in the keepers hands or far too far ahead of the player he intended to pass to.

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee:

"We set out to try and pass the ball and get in-between them and mix it up.

"To a large extent, it worked for us, we had a lot of possession and eventually we got a goal.

"Derek stayed in the team because he's worked ever so hard to come back in to the reckoning, and he thoroughly deserved to be in the team and got his reward for the effort in getting the winning goal.

"It takes a lot of energy to play the way we tried to play today, in the midfield particularly, but we still felt comfortable."

Kilmarnock manager Jimmy Calderwood:

"Our final ball let us down, but we were quite comfortable.

"We started the second-half sloppy, and I'm chuffed for wee Derek that he got it, but the difference between the two teams was Darren Mackie, his hold-up play was fantastic.

"I think we dominated at the end, and it was one-way traffic, but the damage was done early in the second-half."

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee:

"We set out to try and pass the ball and get in-between them and mix it up.

"To a large extent, it worked for us, we had a lot of possession and eventually we got a goal.

"Derek stayed in the team because he's worked ever so hard to come back in to the reckoning, and he thoroughly deserved to be in the team and got his reward for the effort in getting the winning goal.

"It takes a lot of energy to play the way we tried to play today, in the midfield particularly, but we still felt comfortable."

Kilmarnock manager Jimmy Calderwood:

"Our final ball let us down, but we were quite comfortable.

"We started the second-half sloppy, and I'm chuffed for wee Derek that he got it, but the difference between the two teams was Darren Mackie, his hold-up play was fantastic.

"I think we dominated at the end, and it was one-way traffic, but the damage was done early in the second-half."

I noticed that as well Kow and I have to admit it made me laugh! Good to see he'll never change. I'm glad he won but I'm even happier of the 3 points. We needed it today. Big style. I look forward to seeing the goal on sunday. According to BBC Mackie had a thunderous effort headered off the line? I can't believe we lined up 1 up front at home! Total disgrace but hey ho, we got 3 points eventually. I think its nice how its clear JC holds the club in high regard. Good on ya wee Derek ;)

Couldn't believe we lined up 451 at home to Killie but I suppose we got the result in the end.

First half was totally forgettable I thought, though I'd like to see Mackie's chance again which was similar to the goal scored by Young.

Second half obviously started really well and we should have gone for the kill after going ahead.

Kilmarnock boss Jimmy Calderwood said he had a lump in his throat at the warm reception given to him by the Aberdeen support.

However Calderwood, who left Pittodrie in May last year, did not have a winning return to his old stomping ground after a moment of brilliance from Derek Young four minutes after the break sealed a 1-0 victory for the Dons.

Calderwood said: "I have to thank the Aberdeen fans. You get a bit sentimental and a lump in your throat. It was a fabulous reception and I didn't expect it to be that good.

"It cements the wonderful five years we had here and the wonderful city it is. Although there were a few games where the reception I got was a bit different!"

Poor game, especially the first half which was laughably inept. Neither side had any cutting edge until Kyle came on and it was always going to take something special or a monumental fuck up for a goal to be scored.

Credit to Dung for a cracking goal, left footed volley from about 12yds into the top corner which was the lone shining light in an otherwise dull game. Having said that we were clearly a far better side than killie and you get the feeling with a fit and motivated Aluko down the left, Pawlett down the right and Zander back in defence to shore things up we could have a decent, creative, attacking side.....only thing is we need a striker or two to put the ball in the back of the net. Unfortunately injuries and the need to give Pawlett a rest meant we have almost no creativity, had to resort to some kind of 4411 formation and lacked any kind of width what so ever; I lost count of the number of times I was screaming at Marshall to make a run out to the left wing when Grassi had the ball.

A win is a win and keeps us in touch with well and hearts with games in hand. We have to get a striker in this week otherwise any faint hope of a european challenge, cup run or even top six (sic) may well slip from our grasp.

Wasn't at the game but delighted to get the win.  I'm also very pleased that JC got such a warm welcome back, hopefully this will finally draw a bit of a line under his tenure.  As for the game 1 up front at home isn't exactly positive but I actually don't care at the mo. That was a really important 3 points to get

Having said that we were clearly a far better side than killie and you get the feeling with a fit and motivated Aluko down the left, Pawlett down the right

Not if we play the same formation as yesterday they won't.  We had a 5 man midfield but played everything through the middle, didn't make any attempt to get the ball out wide.  :-\

Just seen the goal....what can I say.

What a fucking peach

Just seen the highlights, it was good to see we seemed to create a few opportunities, and was that Ifil winning a header from a corner? :o

Fantastic finish from Young, and seemed like he was highly unlucky not to get a second. Same again next week please!

From the highlights it looked like there were enough chances for us to win comfortably. I couldn't help thinking that Miller would possibly have put away a few of them had he been playing. Couple of balls across the face of the goal where there didn't seem to be anyone attacking the ball. On the other hand, our defence lived pretty dangerously and gifted them at least 3 clear cut opportunities that they made a pigs ear of. Still all feels a bit fragile but if we can win ugly for a few weeks and keep up the clean sheet ratios then we might build a little confidence for the run in. I'd say UTD and Hibs are pretty much out of sight now, its all about saving face and the cup.