Miller and McDonald put contract talks on hold

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nature abhors a vacuum. If nothing is said, someone will say something and it will invariably be shite.

We are not privy to the truth in any of these negotiations, we have no real grip on what is truth and what is speculation and then counter speculation. With media channels being as intrusive as they are, agents playing mind games and the internet playing chinese whispers endlessly who the fuck knows what is going on let alone who is to blame for it.

There is no sense in comparing now to 2 years ago let alone 5 or 10, its a different world and we are no different from any other club in terms of this transfer roller-coaster. It has got much worse since the purse strings were tightened so severly. However, I think the 'disaster' has been in place for most clubs since the advent of the transfer window. It takes all the speculation and conjecture and concentrates it into a short period, thereby intensifying it and focusing eveyones attention.

So what's your theory. You and I both agreed with bilbo. It is a shambles as it always has been. Who do you blame? Agree that there is a fundamental problem. 

Theory? TBH i don't have one, i've no idea what happens behind the scenes at the club, and because of that for me to start issuing blame would be ridiculous.

Most of the problems lie away from the club IMO. when you have agents looking out for their players best interests (themselves), the media finding stories on the back of fag packets and players themselves thinking that they're the Scottish equivalent of Lionel Messi and as such are deserving of inflated salaries, then your going to struggle to attract/keep players of any quality.

In the modern climate there is a distinct lack of loyalty, and when you can triple your wages down south, we're always going to struggle.

I must admit, if another company came to me and offered me 3 times my wages to work for them i'd take it.

i can't see how you can blame WM for this. :-\

Guest rocket debris

Ok. You think there is a fundamental problem. You agree with the original point. You understand the fact that the club, unlike most others, releases it's statements and position to the press during the process and before negotiations are concluded and you now say there is nothing wrong and that it's not anything to do with the person who's job description includes these responsibilities. Whatever. What a waste of time that was.

You think there is a fundamental problem

Yes

You agree with the original point

Yes, our transfer dealings are a disaster

now say there is nothing wrong

Where?

and that it's not anything to do with the person who's job description includes these responsibilities

Please tell me how 2 players saying that they want to put negotiations on hold is WM fault?

Guest rocket debris

Please tell me how 2 players saying that they want to put negotiations on hold is WM fault?

It isn't. The debate is about a totally different matter.

Only one man responsible for this although as he was our best ever player, he is immune from comment let alone criticism apparently

so is he or isn't he responsible because you appear to be unable to make your mind up?

i think our transfer dealings are a disaster

i think there is a fundamental problem at the club in our transfer dealings

i don't think it is all WM's fault

is that not what we've been debating?

Guest rocket debris

so is he or isn't he responsible because you appear to be unable to make your mind up?

i think our transfer dealings are a disaster

i think there is a fundamental problem at the club in our transfer dealings

i don't think it is all WM's fault

is that not what we've been debating?

Re read it. I supported bb's point. You challenged something I said regarding who was in charge of this matter. We were talking about the clubs dealings in the press and whether Wiile Miller was responsible for this or not. Then you said nothing he could do if two players didn't want to talk. That's right. But what we were "debating" or attempting to was who was responsible for the shambolic manner by which AFC's internal dealings find their way in to the press. capiche?

Or are you being a dung beetle?

But what we were "debating" or attempting to was who was responsible for the shambolic manner by which AFC's internal dealings find their way in to the press. capiche?

I don't actually hear much from Willie Miller regarding contract extensions. It's more Mark McGhee.  :-\

Guest rocket debris

You think McGhee is responsible?

Is it just me or are our transfer and contract dealings a fucking disaster?

This is where it all began. For the last 4 or 5 years, every January, Aberdeen fans will be aware that our contract dealings appear in the press. I agree with bilbo, as others do. It's embarrassing. Most clubs don't tend to comment on internal matters whilst they are at a delicate stage i.e. in progress and unconcluded.

It was always our manager or our DoF who supplied the accompanying quotes. As the more senior of them is in charge, he might have had the intelligence not to release details of every case to the press. Sometimes there will be good reason to, but it appears to readers of the papers that EVERY case gets leaked.

Guest rocket debris

Well I've not heard anyone else speak about contract extensions and targets.

In context of the debate, you think Mark McGhee is responsible for what bilbo said and I agreed with. Stunning. Simply stunning. A new trough.

In context of the debate, you think Mark McGhee is responsible for what bilbo said and I agreed with. Stunning. Simply stunning. A new trough.

I thought it was all Willie Miller's fault that our contract dealings and possible signings is being carried out in the public domain?

I agree that our contract dealings have been farcical. Every player we are linked with ends up in the local and national press which inevitably leads to other parties being interested and a lesser chance of us securing said targets.

I would contend that this has been down to all parties concerned be it agents looking to get the best deal for his client and the senior management at Aberdeen. I do not think you can exclusivly point the finger of blame at WM though. MM has to take a fair portion of the blame since he arrived as he has mentioned numerous signing targets in the press before anything has been done let alone dusted.

As for Miller and McDonald would we really miss them. Although Miller offers the highball tactic as has been pointed out his scoring rate has been fantastic for all the wrong reasons and as, I would imagine, the highest paid player at the club this is not good enough. McDonald as far as I can see has offered nothing this season and would not be missed. I would be more dissapointed to see Miller leave than McDonald but would not be overly worried if both go.

Guest rocket debris

I thought it was all Willie Miller's fault that our contract dealings and possible signings is being carried out in the public domain?

If you thought it was all WM's fault, why do you seek to blame our new manager?

Until this January, Miller himself, every year without fail, supplied the "hard man negotiator" quotes to the press whilst internal affairs were in progress and were unconcluded. I have been talking about nothing but contract dealings between players and the club but since you mention it as the other poster did, possible signings being released to the press is also counter-productive.

As the manager's direct line manager, yes I do find the DoF accountable and responsible for this year as well as the previous. We're not learning from our mistakes and we keep on repeating them. It is up to him to see what's going on and pull the manager aside and educate him as to how best to conduct these sensitive and personal negotiations. Pretty simple stuff I would have thought.

I was under the impression that you were blaming WM on this clubs failures with regards to contract extensions etc?

And because it's been McGhee that has been doing all the talking regarding contract extensions and possible signings! Not Willie Miller!

It is up to him to see what's going on and pull the manager aside and educate him as to how best to conduct these sensitive and personal negotiations. Pretty simple stuff I would have thought.

:lolabove:

Christ, do you want Willie Miller to show McGhee and future managers how best to wipe their arse also? Or how best to feed themselves?

I would have hoped McGhee having being a player and a manager for an x amount of years would know how to conduct himself during contract negotiations!

Guest rocket debris

You forgetting that Miller is in charge? You forgotten how he himself supplied the quotes, not Calderwood? You not see that this has been ongoing for a number of years? You do understand that this is McGhee's first January? You do understand the need to work as a team? You are capable of comprehending that it's what best for AFC that matters? You can tie your own shoelaces?

You forgetting that Miller is in charge? You forgotten how he himself supplied the quotes, not Calderwood? You not see that this has been ongoing for a number of years? You do understand that this is McGhee's first January? You do understand the need to work as a team? You are capable of comprehending that it's what best for AFC that matters? You can tie your own shoelaces?

Yes. Yes. Yes. First January, as a person? First January, as a player? As a manager? As Aberdeen manager? So he needs someone to hold his hand because contract negotiations, signing players and speaking to the press is for big grown ups and he isn't one yet? Yes. Yes. Yes. Although I do happen to have some trouble with the bows. I get my mummy to tie them sometimes. I suppose McGhee gets Willie Miller to do the same.

Guest rocket debris

Yes. Yes. Yes. First January, as a person? First January, as a player? As a manager? As Aberdeen manager? So he needs someone to hold his hand because contract negotiations, signing players and speaking to the press is for big grown ups and he isn't one yet? Yes. Yes. Yes. Although I do happen to have some trouble with the bows. I get my mummy to tie them sometimes. I suppose McGhee gets Willie Miller to do the same.

The same problem has been ongoing for a long time so blaming McGhee for the repeating mistakes is insane? However, if you blame McGhee in 2010, then who do you blame for 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009?

In the context of the debate, what is it that you want to say? I agreed with bb and made a point. Do you have any point to make? Do you have the balls to state any opinion whatsoever?

Guest rocket debris

You should have said "No" to the first couple. Ach you had a 50/50.

The same problem has been ongoing for a long time so blaming McGhee for the repeating mistakes is insane? However, if you blame McGhee in 2010, then who do you blame for 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009?

In the context of the debate, what is it that you want to say? I agreed with bb and made a point. Do you have any point to make? Do you have the balls to state any opinion whatsoever?

My god, I think you are going senile.

Yes this problem has been going on at the club for years. And for the record, I blame the manager at the time.

You appear to be very confused.

From what I can gather, you pointed to it being Willie Miller's fault, agreed with bilbo that there is a fundamental problem, blamed Miller a few more times, a few people stated of their belief that it wasn't really Miller's fault was it?, you didn't really elaborate on your point instead just choosing to continually state that you agreed with bilbo ignored the rest and then you stated it was Miller's fault that clubs dealings are in the press. To which I replied that it's not been Miller speaking to the press, it's McGhee. Then you stated that Miller should instead lecture and teach McGhee on how to act during transfer and contract dealings. And you've never really added anything other to the thread apart from that.

I have already stated my opinion in this thread.