Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Miller and McDonald put contract talks on hold

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could in theory make it tougher for us to plan for next season, but i suppose we may not be able to talk to signing targets til the summer anyway, in some cases at least.  I've only read this online, not sure if there's any quotes in the full story, would like to hear the players thoughts on why they're doing this.

I'm not buying that at all. If anything, the club should have cancelled talks with McDonald, not the other way round, he can't realistically think he's gonna get a move to a better club with the way he's been playing lately. I'm still undecided with regards to Miller. I'd rather he stayed though.

Since fucking Bosman and "freedom" no club (unless you have a fuckload of cash froma a benefactor) has been able to "plan for next season" BB

Basically rich clubs/leagues prosper, we deal in dross.... I mean can't even sign a player on loan from a crap cahupionship team where he isna getting a game?

We are (and I mean the SPHell apart from, or maybe even the bigots) well and truly fucked!

Since fucking Bosman and "freedom" no club (unless you have a fuckload of cash froma a benefactor) has been able to "plan for next season" BB

Basically rich clubs/leagues prosper, we deal in dross.... I mean can't even sign a player on loan from a crap cahupionship team where he isna getting a game?

We are (and I mean the SPHell apart from, or maybe even the bigots) well and truly fucked!

So JC didn't plan for the coming seasons when he signed, ironically enough, Gary Mcdonald before the season was finished?

Of course we can plan, we know we don't have any/much money but that doesn't mean we can't plan or look at players who are in our range of which there will be many. Enough of the dramatics, man.

Mcdonald can GTF

Miller.......well i'd like him to stay personally but thats only as we don't have anyone to replace him with. In saying that i'd actually like to see him get dropped!

with any luck MM will get in a couple of replacements either before the summer or on pre-contract and can politely tell them to both ram it!

Lets face it you could put a lampost up front for us and it'd still try harder and fall over less than Miller

Could be worse, it could be our brightest young talent we're pinning all our hopes on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8463106.stm

Arf arf.

It's supposedly Everton for both of them.  I'd also imagine they've not been offered contracts and the huns are just saying this to keep the slavering masses at bay.  Any money is money for that lot at the minute.

Cannae comment on Wilson as I've not seen him play. But Fleck has been pretty average, from what I've seen of him so far. Certainly not Premiership quality. In saying that though, I wouldn't put it past McLeish or Moyes to put a £multimillion bid in for both of them, rather than waiting six months and getting them for nowt.

As for Miller & McDonald, the EE is only rephrasing what McGhee said months ago. We're not going to be held ransom on ANY player contract talks. If Miller and McDonald don't wanna take whatever offer is on the table, they can piss aff. It's not like they've both been invaluable to us this season anyway.

McGhee looks to Miller, McDonald

Pittodrie pair could move south but still likely to figure in Aberdeen manager’s team plans

By Paul Third

Published: 18/01/2010

Aberdeen manager Mark McGhee insists Lee Miller and Gary McDonald still have a big role to play at the club this season despite the duo appearing to be on the way out of Pittodrie.

Both players have refused approaches from the club to begin contract negotiations, with Miller believed to be keen to try his luck in England again, while McDonald, who is due to become a father again this year, is considering a return to the west coast due to family reasons.

Falkirk have expressed an interest in former Kilmar-nock and Oldham midfielder McDonald, but if the Dons cannot agree a deal to bring Bairns captain Darren Barr to the club this month, McDonald will stay at Pittodrie. McGhee expects both McDonald and forward Miller, who will serve the final game of his suspension against Kilmarnock this weekend after the postponement of Saturday’s match at St Johnstone, to remain at the club this month.

He said: “It is not something we can do anything about. We could let them leave now but that is not really an option as they have a big part to play in what we hope will be a successful final half of the season.â€

Forwards Chris Maguire and Michael Paton will also stay at the Dons this month if McGhee fails to bring in new forwards.

The manager is willing to send out the duo on loan, with Dundee keen on Paton, but Maguire will not be joining Hamilton, who have inquired about the Scotland under-21 international.

Aberdeen transfer target Barr, meanwhile, insists he will not lose his focus at Falkirk despite interest from several clubs in his services. The Bairns captain, who is out of contract in the summer, is wanted by the Dons, Hibs, Hearts and Dundee, while there has also been interest from England. The 24-year-old has met the Dons and Hibs but will not be rushed into a move. Barr said: “I have been linked with different clubs but it's important for me that the supporters know my only concern just now is Falkirk.

“Anyone who knows me, or who has watched me over the years, will tell you that.

“All I'm focused on doing is dragging us off the bottom of the league. I've been here for a long time, it's the only place I've known, so there's no way I would or give less than my all.

“This is the club I've been proud to be part of for so many years and the rest is not important right now."

Guest rocket debris

Is it just me or are our transfer and contract dealings a fucking disaster?

No, not just you. It's always been thus. Only the ignorant would fail to notice the same shite year in, year out, washing internal affairs in public. Only one man responsible for this although as he was our best ever player, he is immune from comment let alone criticism apparently.

Only one man responsible

Surely if, as the article says, both players have refused to start negotiotions, there is fuck all WM can do about it.

we, as a club, seem to fail to be able to hang on to good players for any length of time. no-one seems to want to stick around after they have seen out their contract, which to me suggests there is a fundamental problem at the club.

Surely blaming WM is a little short sighted imo

Guest rocket debris

Surely if, as the article says, both players have refused to start negotiotions, there is fuck all WM can do about it.

we, as a club, seem to fail to be able to hang on to good players for any length of time. no-one seems to want to stick around after they have seen out their contract, which to me suggests there is a fundamental problem at the club.

Surely blaming WM is a little short sighted imo

So what's your theory. You and I both agreed with bilbo. It is a shambles as it always has been. Who do you blame? Agree that there is a fundamental problem. 

No, not just you. It's always been thus. Only the ignorant would fail to notice the same shite year in, year out, washing internal affairs in public. Only one man responsible for this although as he was our best ever player, he is immune from comment let alone criticism apparently.

I fail to see what Gordon Strachan has to do with it.

So what's your theory. You and I both agreed with bilbo. It is a shambles as it always has been. Who do you blame? Agree that there is a fundamental problem.

It's always been a shambles but it's Willie Miller's fault? Doesn't really make any sense, given that Miller has been back at the club for 5 years.

If there is a fundamental problem then this seems to point to factors outwith Miller's and McGhee's control?

Guest rocket debris

I fail to see what Gordon Strachan has to do with it.

The man who was unbelievably superb one week, ok the next, then mince the 3rd - repeat cycle.

Eric Black was my personal favourite but I think WM was our MVP, as the yanks like to say.

Guest rocket debris

It's always been a shambles but it's Willie Miller's fault? Doesn't really make any sense, given that Miller has been back at the club for 5 years.

If there is a fundamental problem then this seems to point to factors outwith Miller's and McGhee's control?

I was unaware of our contract negotiations being leaked to the press before WM took the DoF position. By "always" I meant the last 5 years. It's a matter of fact that our internal stuff has been aired too often in the public eye during this period. You'll remember that up to a couple of years ago, it used to be accompanied by quotes from WM, always coming across as the "hard man negotiator" which used to make me cringe.